BSOD and crashing, possibly because of Google Chrome

booshnogh

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
Hello everyone, I recently completed this build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($40.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 600T (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($141.29 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($91.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech G400 Wired Optical Mouse ($33.50 @ Amazon)
Total: $1347.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

*ram is actually the low profile version

(Sorry about the prices and all that jazz, I'm new to this website.)
Anyway, everything went well, installed drivers (chipset, audio, lan, usb 3, sata 3, gpu, wireless adapter) and had no problems. However, Google Chrome began to crash a week or two after the build. The whole window would close, so I did a re-install. That seemed to fix the problem, but I would still get the occasional page crash (other tabs would be unaffected.)

A few minutes ago I got a blue screen when closing Chrome. The computer booted back up just fine, and I'm using it with Chrome now. Any idea what's going on?

Temps are fine (~30 idle/using chrome) and gaming performance seems like it's the way it should be. I'm hoping it's not a hardware related issue, I really don't want to go through an RMA and have to gut my PC.

I'm running Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Firewall, and did a full scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware, which came out clean. I also ran TDSSKiller (as per suggestion of a youtube video with a similar problem), but it didn't find anything. I havn't OC'd yet either.
Here's the wifi adapter I'm using. the wifi adapter I'm using.

Hopefully you guys could help.

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Make sure you're not using the developer or nightly builds of chrome-- they're pretty much expected to be buggy.

Also, try disabling some of the options in chrome://flags as they may cause system instability.

najirion

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
run memtest86 and prime95

http://www.memtest86.com/

If you get errors, there's something wrong with either your rams or your processor (if overclocked)

BSOD major causes:
> faulty registry
> ram issues
> hardware driver issues or bugs