  • Shutdown
  • System Restore
  • Windows XP
August 13, 2005 1:40:03 PM

I have occasionally experienced a "BSOD" after a hotsync with my Palm. After
rfesearching the issue I have found that Palm Systems will cause the BSOD on
a hyperthreading PC (which I have).
I have also read the following answer in MS FAQ concerning System Restore:
If an improper shutdown occurs, there is a small possibility that a restore
could fail because System Restore may not have logged some file operations
properly at the time of shutdown. If the restore fails, the system will be
in the same state as before the restore was initiated.

So as a conclusion might it be reasonable to say (did not want to
use"assume") that if ever there is a improper shutdown, for whatever reason,
might be best to turn off system restore then turn on again and start

"Fresh Restore Points" ?????????????????

More about : system restore bsod

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 1:51:12 PM

Sounds like a good conclusion. The problem with SR, is no way
to verify the integrity of the point chain. You only find out you're
up the creek is when SR is called on and it's unable to complete
the restoration. Best to trim back it's allocation to a size that holds
maybe a week to 10-days worth of points. It really isn't a long
term roll-back solution, that's best done with an imaging program.

"MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have occasionally experienced a "BSOD" after a hotsync with my Palm.
>After rfesearching the issue I have found that Palm Systems will cause the
>BSOD on a hyperthreading PC (which I have).
> I have also read the following answer in MS FAQ concerning System Restore:
> If an improper shutdown occurs, there is a small possibility that a
> restore could fail because System Restore may not have logged some file
> operations properly at the time of shutdown. If the restore fails, the
> system will be in the same state as before the restore was initiated.
>
> So as a conclusion might it be reasonable to say (did not want to
> use"assume") that if ever there is a improper shutdown, for whatever
> reason, might be best to turn off system restore then turn on again and
> start
>
> "Fresh Restore Points" ?????????????????

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 6:38:41 PM

Hi,

Another alternative would be to test the restore point. Whenever an improper shutdown
occurs, try restoring to the day before the bad shutdown. If the restore function
correctly, then simply undo the restore.

All About System Restore in WinXP
http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

MedRxman wrote:
> I have occasionally experienced a "BSOD" after a hotsync
> with my Palm. After rfesearching the issue I have found
> that Palm Systems will cause the BSOD on a hyperthreading
> PC (which I have). I have also read the following answer in MS FAQ
> concerning System Restore: If an improper shutdown
> occurs, there is a small possibility that a restore could
> fail because System Restore may not have logged some file
> operations properly at the time of shutdown. If the
> restore fails, the system will be in the same state as
> before the restore was initiated.
> So as a conclusion might it be reasonable to say (did
> not want to use"assume") that if ever there is a improper
> shutdown, for whatever reason, might be best to turn off
> system restore then turn on again and start
> "Fresh Restore Points" ?????????????????
August 13, 2005 6:56:23 PM

That's exactly what I did and what prompted the posting. Hopefully this
scenario will help someone else.

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
news:o mKk5YDoFHA.3608@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Another alternative would be to test the restore point. Whenever an
improper shutdown
> occurs, try restoring to the day before the bad shutdown. If the restore
function
> correctly, then simply undo the restore.
>
> All About System Restore in WinXP
> http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
>

> MedRxman wrote:
> > I have occasionally experienced a "BSOD" after a hotsync
> > with my Palm. After rfesearching the issue I have found
> > that Palm Systems will cause the BSOD on a hyperthreading
> > PC (which I have). I have also read the following answer in MS FAQ
> > concerning System Restore: If an improper shutdown
> > occurs, there is a small possibility that a restore could
> > fail because System Restore may not have logged some file
> > operations properly at the time of shutdown. If the
> > restore fails, the system will be in the same state as
> > before the restore was initiated.
> > So as a conclusion might it be reasonable to say (did
> > not want to use"assume") that if ever there is a improper
> > shutdown, for whatever reason, might be best to turn off
> > system restore then turn on again and start
> > "Fresh Restore Points" ?????????????????

Anonymous
September 18, 2005 7:11:56 PM

The reason for the "BSOD" was due to the fact thaT MY LAPTOP USES
hYPERTHREADING WHICH IS NOT SUPPORTED BY THE pALM hOTSYNC PROCESS. tO AVOID
THE "bsod" ALL THAT ONE HAS TO DO IS CHANGE THE "aFFINITY" OF THE HOT SYNC
TO "0". tHIS IS DONE BY OPENING TAKSMANAGER AND FINDING THE hOTsYNC PROCESS
AND THEN RIGHT CLICK AND CHOOSE THE SET AFFINITY OPTION AND UNCHECK "1"
LEAVING ONY THE "0". tHIS MUST BE DONE EACH TIME THE COMPUTER IN RESTARTED
OR checked before each hotsync.

Sorry for the capitals..did not realize I had cap lock on.

!