TECH: Some AFM Questions...

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 27, 2005 11:44:04 PM

1. Any reason why the solenoid, flipper, or flasher tests don't work?
On cycle or repeat, neither fire. During gameplay, all seem to work
fine. Lamp row tests work.

2. Any reason why the left 3 mini saucers, even with new/same bulbs,
flash much dimmer than the 3 on the right?

3. Anyone know if it's tough to change out the LEDs in the mothership?
And the part # I need to do it? I'm a novice at solder. But I can
manage.

Thanks. Might have more. New game I am trying to mess with a bit.

Brad

More about : tech afm questions

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 12:20:36 AM

Brad,
You must have been the one that picked up Brivy's AFM today. All
EASY issues to address. And you only have one LED to change. I'm sure
you'll be happy with the game. We really cleaned her up when he picked
it up. Just never got around to doing those last few things. We did,
however, replace all the broken green square targets specific to the
game. Enjoy it! I think you got a pretty good deal.

-Al
June 28, 2005 12:26:09 AM

Funny you say that! I was just on the phone with Brivy and we figured
out the #1 issue then and there. I feel like a moron now. First game
I had that had that safety feature.

The rest sounds simple to fix. Lloyd -- The metal flap in the socket
of all 3 mini saucers not gripping tight? Sounds suspect all 3 would
do it...But hey, I'll take a look.

Al, yeah, I wasn't gonna say yet but yeah, I bought Brivy's machine --
A great deal and a great guy. He's got a beautiful collection of
machines there!

Oh, and one more issue maybe someone can help me with, if it's even an
issue at all - Should I see anything lighting up when I do the GI test
for "top insert" and "bottom insert"? Nothing lights up I can see
there, though the other general illumination all does.

I'm hoping to take some photos and share more about the game soon!

Thanks again Brivy. Anyone would not do themselves wrong to deal with
him in the future. He delivers what he promises and he's more than
fair.

Brad
Related resources
June 28, 2005 12:44:29 AM

Actually the tests told an odder story.

First off, when I do an "all flashers" test, only the right 3 saucers
flash.

L Side High - A light to the lower right corner of the backbox flashes
along with the back left 2 mini saucers lightly flashing.

L. Ramp R - The lower left mini saucer lightly flashes.

L Ramp L (2) - A flasher in the middle of the backbox goes and the
lower left mini saucer incredibly faintly flashes.

The R Ramp and center (and lower) all seem to flash fine. Just that
back left corner that seems a little funky.

Thoughts? Maybe some wiring I need to re-route? Crossed wires?

Thanks for the speedy replies.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 12:55:34 AM

> 1. Any reason why the solenoid, flipper, or flasher tests don't work?
> On cycle or repeat, neither fire. During gameplay, all seem to work
> fine. Lamp row tests work.

You need to pull out the safety switch on the edge of the coin door in order
to enable high-voltage for the tests.

JM
June 28, 2005 12:58:18 AM

Two possibilities come to mind.
1) There may be a damaged flasher wire touching against metal
somewhere, or...
2) those particular flashers may have the wrong bulbs in them (a
longshot, but they should be 906 for wedge style, 89 for bayonet style)
Jim
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 2:08:32 AM

1- close the high power interlock switch on the coin door when you have it
open and are running solenoid and flasher tests. The high power interlock
switch cuts high power to make it harder to do board damage when working on
the game.

2- the metal flap in the socket that holds the bulb isn't gripping it tight
anymore. Power off, bend the flap with a tiny screw driver or put a sliver
of foam rubber behind it so it pushes the metal against the wire on the bulb
tighter.

3- practice on scrap circuit boards first, then it's easy to change the
LED's. Part number is in your manual. LTG :)

"Brad" <bplevyak@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> 1. Any reason why the solenoid, flipper, or flasher tests don't work?
> On cycle or repeat, neither fire. During gameplay, all seem to work
> fine. Lamp row tests work.
>
> 2. Any reason why the left 3 mini saucers, even with new/same bulbs,
> flash much dimmer than the 3 on the right?
>
> 3. Anyone know if it's tough to change out the LEDs in the mothership?
> And the part # I need to do it? I'm a novice at solder. But I can
> manage.
>
> Thanks. Might have more. New game I am trying to mess with a bit.
>
> Brad

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 2:28:15 AM

The underplayfield connectors being swapped is a common problem. The
connectors for the left saucers look the same and if swapped give that
dim flash you describe. Look at the wiring carefully, you will see a
difference.

Good luck and kick some martian butt.

Jeff
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 2:28:22 AM

You are lucky all of them aren't funky. Cheap sockets are in there. LTG :)

> The rest sounds simple to fix. Lloyd -- The metal flap in the socket
> of all 3 mini saucers not gripping tight? Sounds suspect all 3 would
> do it...But hey, I'll take a look.

> Brad

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 2:33:54 AM

It's not really tough at all, but the bigger
question is why? Are some broken/missing,
or are they just not working? If they are not
working, is it just one or two, or a "group"?
It is possible that the problem is a little deeper
if a group of them aren't working.

LEDs can be found at many places including
some Radio Shacks. Fair number of suppliers
right here can fix you up, too.

--
Fred
TX

"Brad" <bplevyak@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1119926644.622540.20830@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

> 3. Anyone know if it's tough to change out the LEDs in the mothership?
> And the part # I need to do it? I'm a novice at solder. But I can
> manage.
June 28, 2005 2:48:31 AM

The high voltage interlock switch inside the door has to be closed to power
soleniods and flashers.

Otto

CARGPB11

"Brad" <bplevyak@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> 1. Any reason why the solenoid, flipper, or flasher tests don't work?
> On cycle or repeat, neither fire. During gameplay, all seem to work
> fine. Lamp row tests work.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 2:50:28 AM

You could go over the flasher wiring. Someone may have mis-wired something
during a repair. Check that everything is in the right spots. LTG :)

> Actually the tests told an odder story.
>
> First off, when I do an "all flashers" test, only the right 3 saucers
> flash.
>
> L Side High - A light to the lower right corner of the backbox flashes
> along with the back left 2 mini saucers lightly flashing.
>
> L. Ramp R - The lower left mini saucer lightly flashes.
>
> L Ramp L (2) - A flasher in the middle of the backbox goes and the
> lower left mini saucer incredibly faintly flashes.
>
> The R Ramp and center (and lower) all seem to flash fine. Just that
> back left corner that seems a little funky.
>
> Thoughts? Maybe some wiring I need to re-route? Crossed wires?
>
> Thanks for the speedy replies.

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 2:52:40 AM

I just got an AFM also, and encountered this exact same problem! After
much searching, bulb checking, I found the 2 identical connectors had
been swapped. Look for two 3 prong plugs and check the wire colors,
bet they are switched

Good Luck
DG
June 28, 2005 12:49:25 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate all the replies.

I can't seem to locate the two connectors, they all look to be wired
properly color-wise. I don't see many 3 pin plugs in that area of the
playfield, and the ones I do see appear to be color correct. If
anyone's got some more specifics over the exact colors and playfield
location, that may help me to at least determine if that's the issue.

Oh, and can anyone tell me what, if anything lights up on their game
when you light up "top insert" or "bottom insert" when doing a GI test?
I see nothing lit in my game when I do that.

Thanks.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 6:31:11 PM

Insert usually refers to the lamps on the backbox insert board. AFM
uses a lightbox, so the lightbox upper and lower should come one with
those two tests. Is the lightbox connected plugged in?

K2
!