Is this a virus or what??

tomshardwood

Distinguished
May 19, 2012
Okay, so I was reading a news article then suddenly something like a Windows Help appeared, and on the Search Help something was like typing on it very fast then my monitor went black. Pressed ctrl alt del, alt f4, and such but no luck so I reset the pc. Then before it load to windows there are 2 choices to choose from and I have never seen those before in my 2 years using windows 7, and the 1st choice, something like resume windows or something, always fail to load into windows; but the 2nd one, which says something like discard the changes or something, started up windows normally. It like happened 3 times mostly when the computers just idling (me reading news articles and emails) a Windows Help would suddenly appear everytime and then it's as if someone was typing fast a code with probably 10-16 characters, mostly letters and numbers, and the 3rd and most recent one it just rebooted itself and went straight to bios, changed the language to chinese and I don't know what else it messed up cause it was going very fast randomly before I can react and turn off the pc.

Then I powered on the pc and it posted in chinese then again there were those 2 options again, chose the 2nd one, booted normally, scanned using MSE, FOUND NOTHING, then ran windows update, rebooted. Went to the bios, which was in chinese, tried to change the language back to english, luckily it was in the 1st page and the 1st item there so I didn't have much trouble. Don't know what else it f**ked up in the bios so maybe I will restore it back to its defaults later on.

Well... wtf was that? I never knew a virus could go through and f*** up not just windows but also the bios. And what should I do? So far everything's still up and running but I don't wanna boot up my computer later on just to find out it's "dead".

TIA for any inputs and suggestions.

chase3567

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

Sounds like someone remotely accessed your PC. Did you disable the internet connection yet before you tried to fix or correct anything? If you haven't, do so and try to fix the problems you have so far.

tomshardwood

Distinguished
May 19, 2012

Yeah that seems like it. However, in order to flash the bios in my motherboard, you have to first remove the caps off the bios cmos jumper before flashing it. I tried before flashing it with the lock on and failed, so I had to physically remove first the caps off the cmos jumper before being able to flash it. I flashed the bios to the latest firmware immediately when I bought this months back.

So what do you guys think I should do? Can the virus be flushed off the system by resetting the bios and clearing the cmos? And if I wasn't able to find a fix for this, is this covered by the warranty so I can just RMA this?