Recent Windows Update Recall

I am running XP Home and have Windows Update set for Automatic Updates. I
looked in the Review Installation section of Update and saw that 8 files
were installed on my computer on August 10.

How do I know if these are the 'corrected' files?

Must I un-install these 8 updates and re-install to be sure?

Thanks in advance...

Dick
8 answers Last reply
More about recent windows update recall

    I've been having lockups on three of our XP desktop machines since
    installing the updates of 8/9/05.

    Have the 8/9/05 updates been updated??

    ================================
    "Dick Sutton" <rsutton43@comcast.net> wrote in message
    I am running XP Home and have Windows Update set for Automatic Updates. I
    looked in the Review Installation section of Update and saw that 8 files
    were installed on my computer on August 10.

    How do I know if these are the 'corrected' files?

    Must I un-install these 8 updates and re-install to be sure?

    Thanks in advance...

    Dick

    AFAIK, there was only 1 fix (KB896727) which had a problem, AND only if you got it by manual-user download at the Download Center.
    As long as you had your updates from Automatic Downloads or the website for Microsoft or Windows Update, you are OK.

    Further, I imagine KB896727 was refreshed to Download Center some days ago.
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Dick Sutton wrote:
    > I am running XP Home and have Windows Update set for Automatic
    > Updates. I looked in the Review Installation section of Update and
    > saw that 8 files were installed on my computer on August 10.
    >
    > How do I know if these are the 'corrected' files?
    >
    > Must I un-install these 8 updates and re-install to be sure?
    >
    > Thanks in advance...
    >
    > Dick

    Look here for the latest skinny on the updates;
    'MS Corrects IE Patch Download Glitch '
    (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1846882,00.asp)
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Thanks to Maurice & Treeman for the info. I just wanted to make sure that I
    had the updated versions. Thanks again...

    Dick

    "Dick Sutton" <rsutton43@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I am running XP Home and have Windows Update set for Automatic Updates. I
    >looked in the Review Installation section of Update and saw that 8 files
    >were installed on my computer on August 10.
    >
    > How do I know if these are the 'corrected' files?
    >
    > Must I un-install these 8 updates and re-install to be sure?
    >
    > Thanks in advance...
    >
    > Dick

    I’ve experienced the same computer freeze-up after I installed the updates
    KB890830, KB894391, KB896423, KB899587, KB899591, KB893756, KB899588,
    KB896727.

    "Goody2shoe" wrote:

    > I've been having lockups on three of our XP desktop machines since
    > installing the updates of 8/9/05.
    >
    > Have the 8/9/05 updates been updated??
    >
    > ================================
    > "Dick Sutton" <rsutton43@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I am running XP Home and have Windows Update set for Automatic Updates. I
    > looked in the Review Installation section of Update and saw that 8 files
    > were installed on my computer on August 10.
    >
    > How do I know if these are the 'corrected' files?
    >
    > Must I un-install these 8 updates and re-install to be sure?
    >
    > Thanks in advance...
    >
    > Dick

    You are welcome.
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Dick Sutton wrote:
    > Thanks to Maurice & Treeman for the info. I just wanted to make sure
    > that I had the updated versions. Thanks again...
    >
    > Dick

    My computer, which I've had no problems with in over a year, is suddenly
    locking up, showing errors 1001 and 1002, as well as errors associated
    with IExplore.exe 6.0.2900.2180 (Fault bucket 126637809, hungapp). I
    also have automatic Windows XP updates and did notice a new update was
    recently installed.

    I do not know, however, if the recent NUMEROUS errors are being caused
    by the new update or by my recent installation of the McAfee Internet
    Security Suite. Some of the errors are showing they are due to McAfee
    SpamKiller. I disabled Spamkiller last night and am hoping it will
    help.

    I am not very computer literate, so have no clue if it is due to the
    recent update or the McAfee program. Any help is appreciated!

    --
    mafletcher

    After I have uninstalled the updates the computer works OK again.

    Regards

    "GertE" wrote:

    > I’ve experienced the same computer freeze-up after I installed the updates
    > KB890830, KB894391, KB896423, KB899587, KB899591, KB893756, KB899588,
    > KB896727.
    >
    > "Goody2shoe" wrote:
    >
    > > I've been having lockups on three of our XP desktop machines since
    > > installing the updates of 8/9/05.
    > >
    > > Have the 8/9/05 updates been updated??

    > > "Dick Sutton" <rsutton43@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I am running XP Home and have Windows Update set for Automatic Updates. I
    > > looked in the Review Installation section of Update and saw that 8 files
    > > were installed on my computer on August 10.
    > >
    > > How do I know if these are the 'corrected' files?
    > >
    > > Must I un-install these 8 updates and re-install to be sure?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance...
    > >
    > > Dick

Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP