Recent Windows Update Recall

August 13, 2005 1:51:52 PM

I am running XP Home and have Windows Update set for Automatic Updates. I
looked in the Review Installation section of Update and saw that 8 files
were installed on my computer on August 10.

How do I know if these are the 'corrected' files?

Must I un-install these 8 updates and re-install to be sure?

Thanks in advance...

Dick
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 1:51:53 PM

I've been having lockups on three of our XP desktop machines since
installing the updates of 8/9/05.

Have the 8/9/05 updates been updated??

================================
"Dick Sutton" <rsutton43@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p Y2dnZyGmYdmZ2DfRVn-gQ@comcast.com...
I am running XP Home and have Windows Update set for Automatic Updates. I
looked in the Review Installation section of Update and saw that 8 files
were installed on my computer on August 10.

How do I know if these are the 'corrected' files?

Must I un-install these 8 updates and re-install to be sure?

Thanks in advance...

Dick
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 1:51:53 PM

AFAIK, there was only 1 fix (KB896727) which had a problem, AND only if you got it by manual-user download at the Download Center.
As long as you had your updates from Automatic Downloads or the website for Microsoft or Windows Update, you are OK.

Further, I imagine KB896727 was refreshed to Download Center some days ago.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Dick Sutton wrote:
> I am running XP Home and have Windows Update set for Automatic
> Updates. I looked in the Review Installation section of Update and
> saw that 8 files were installed on my computer on August 10.
>
> How do I know if these are the 'corrected' files?
>
> Must I un-install these 8 updates and re-install to be sure?
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Dick
August 13, 2005 5:54:08 PM

Thanks to Maurice & Treeman for the info. I just wanted to make sure that I
had the updated versions. Thanks again...

Dick

"Dick Sutton" <rsutton43@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p Y2dnZyGmYdmZ2DfRVn-gQ@comcast.com...
>I am running XP Home and have Windows Update set for Automatic Updates. I
>looked in the Review Installation section of Update and saw that 8 files
>were installed on my computer on August 10.
>
> How do I know if these are the 'corrected' files?
>
> Must I un-install these 8 updates and re-install to be sure?
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Dick

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 7:13:01 PM

I’ve experienced the same computer freeze-up after I installed the updates
KB890830, KB894391, KB896423, KB899587, KB899591, KB893756, KB899588,
KB896727.

"Goody2shoe" wrote:

> I've been having lockups on three of our XP desktop machines since
> installing the updates of 8/9/05.
>
> Have the 8/9/05 updates been updated??
>
> ================================
> "Dick Sutton" <rsutton43@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:p Y2dnZyGmYdmZ2DfRVn-gQ@comcast.com...
> I am running XP Home and have Windows Update set for Automatic Updates. I
> looked in the Review Installation section of Update and saw that 8 files
> were installed on my computer on August 10.
>
> How do I know if these are the 'corrected' files?
>
> Must I un-install these 8 updates and re-install to be sure?
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Dick

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 8:37:21 PM

You are welcome.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Dick Sutton wrote:
> Thanks to Maurice & Treeman for the info. I just wanted to make sure
> that I had the updated versions. Thanks again...
>
> Dick
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 1:47:38 AM

My computer, which I've had no problems with in over a year, is suddenly
locking up, showing errors 1001 and 1002, as well as errors associated
with IExplore.exe 6.0.2900.2180 (Fault bucket 126637809, hungapp). I
also have automatic Windows XP updates and did notice a new update was
recently installed.

I do not know, however, if the recent NUMEROUS errors are being caused
by the new update or by my recent installation of the McAfee Internet
Security Suite. Some of the errors are showing they are due to McAfee
SpamKiller. I disabled Spamkiller last night and am hoping it will
help.

I am not very computer literate, so have no clue if it is due to the
recent update or the McAfee program. Any help is appreciated!

--
mafletcher
Anonymous

After I have uninstalled the updates the computer works OK again.

Regards

!