Everytime I try to install Word 2000 on my new Dell with Windows Home XP, I
get a message that "Windows Installer service could not be accessed. You may
be running in safe mode or Windows Installer may not be correctly installed.
Contact your support personnel for assitance." I know I'm not running in
safe mode, and microsoft responded with an email telling me to re-register
the windows installer "at my own risk"! Help!!! Thanks!!!

"little lost sally" wrote:

> Everytime I try to install Word 2000 on my new Dell with Windows Home XP, I
> get a message that "Windows Installer service could not be accessed. You may
> be running in safe mode or Windows Installer may not be correctly installed.
> Contact your support personnel for assitance." I know I'm not running in
> safe mode, and microsoft responded with an email telling me to re-register
> the windows installer "at my own risk"! Help!!! Thanks!!!

Dumb me! I scrolled through previous posts and found some information to
follow. However, I still can't get access to Windows Installer. When I
checked services.msc, the path is
C:\DOCUME!1\ROBAND~\LOCALS~!\Temp|lxPOO1.Tm\msiExec.ex. When I tried to
start the Windows Installer, I get "error 3:the system can't find the path
specified." Now I'm more confused - help! Thank you.

"little lost sally" wrote:

> Everytime I try to install Word 2000 on my new Dell with Windows Home XP, I
> get a message that "Windows Installer service could not be accessed. You may
> be running in safe mode or Windows Installer may not be correctly installed.
> Contact your support personnel for assitance." I know I'm not running in
> safe mode, and microsoft responded with an email telling me to re-register
> the windows installer "at my own risk"! Help!!! Thanks!!!

Looks like Aussi, you and me are having the same hair pullin... uh
wait, I'm practically bald so that isn't the right expression to use!
:oops:

Gets frustrating, doesn't it?

I sure hope someone here can solve our problem!

Charlie

Well, Charlie, misery loves company, huh? I ran the edit on line 94 (kelly's
korner), but still can't access Windows Installer. When I run services.msc,
now the path comes up as C:\WINNT\system32\misexec /V. When I go to
HKEY-LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentcontrolSet\Services|MSISERVER, the same
location is listed under Image Path.
I'm at a loss. The message tells me to contact my sypport personnel for
assistance, but I haven't been able to find any support. I live in an
isolated area with no computer geeks hawking their services.

"cgriggs" wrote:

> Looks like Aussi, you and me are having the same hair pullin... uh
> wait, I'm practically bald so that isn't the right expression to use!
> :oops:
>
> Gets frustrating, doesn't it?
>
> I sure hope someone here can solve our problem!
>
> Charlie

gerry

Hi, l'll sally, I had that problem once and was told on this panel to
reinstall service pack 2 which includes the windows installer. It worked for
me.
Gerry

"little lost sally" <littlelostsally@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:70BE3C2F-0FCE-4A6C-99AE-6BDBE27E2FCD@microsoft.com...
> Well, Charlie, misery loves company, huh? I ran the edit on line 94
> (kelly's
> korner), but still can't access Windows Installer. When I run
> services.msc,
> now the path comes up as C:\WINNT\system32\misexec /V. When I go to
> HKEY-LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentcontrolSet\Services|MSISERVER, the same
> location is listed under Image Path.
> I'm at a loss. The message tells me to contact my sypport personnel for
> assistance, but I haven't been able to find any support. I live in an
> isolated area with no computer geeks hawking their services.
>

> "cgriggs" wrote:
>
>> Looks like Aussi, you and me are having the same hair pullin... uh
>> wait, I'm practically bald so that isn't the right expression to use!
>> :oops:
>>
>> Gets frustrating, doesn't it?
>>
>> I sure hope someone here can solve our problem!
>>
>> Charlie

kelly

Hi Sally,

Did you run the WINNT part on line 94? If so, had you also read:

Windows Installer Issues (Line 348) Right hand side

Lastly, is the account you are trying to install on have admin privileges?
--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"little lost sally" <littlelostsally@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:70BE3C2F-0FCE-4A6C-99AE-6BDBE27E2FCD@microsoft.com...
> Well, Charlie, misery loves company, huh? I ran the edit on line 94
> (kelly's
> korner), but still can't access Windows Installer. When I run
> services.msc,
> now the path comes up as C:\WINNT\system32\misexec /V. When I go to
> HKEY-LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentcontrolSet\Services|MSISERVER, the same
> location is listed under Image Path.
> I'm at a loss. The message tells me to contact my sypport personnel for
> assistance, but I haven't been able to find any support. I live in an
> isolated area with no computer geeks hawking their services.
>

> "cgriggs" wrote:
>
>> Looks like Aussi, you and me are having the same hair pullin... uh
>> wait, I'm practically bald so that isn't the right expression to use!
>> :oops:
>>
>> Gets frustrating, doesn't it?
>>
>> I sure hope someone here can solve our problem!
>>
>> Charlie

Thanks for the suggestions. I finally solved the problem last night. The
correct image path was C:\WINDOWS\system32|msiexec.exe /V. When I first
looked into this problem, the path was set at
C:\DOCUME~1\ROBAND~\LOCALS~1\Temp\lxPOO1.Tm\msiExec.ex.
Thanks again.

"Kelly" wrote:

> Hi Sally,
>
> Did you run the WINNT part on line 94? If so, had you also read:
>
> Windows Installer Issues (Line 348) Right hand side
>
> Lastly, is the account you are trying to install on have admin privileges?
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "little lost sally" <littlelostsally@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:70BE3C2F-0FCE-4A6C-99AE-6BDBE27E2FCD@microsoft.com...
> > Well, Charlie, misery loves company, huh? I ran the edit on line 94
> > (kelly's
> > korner), but still can't access Windows Installer. When I run
> > services.msc,
> > now the path comes up as C:\WINNT\system32\misexec /V. When I go to
> > HKEY-LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentcontrolSet\Services|MSISERVER, the same
> > location is listed under Image Path.
> > I'm at a loss. The message tells me to contact my sypport personnel for
> > assistance, but I haven't been able to find any support. I live in an
> > isolated area with no computer geeks hawking their services.
> >

> > "cgriggs" wrote:
> >
> >> Looks like Aussi, you and me are having the same hair pullin... uh
> >> wait, I'm practically bald so that isn't the right expression to use!
> >> :oops:
> >>
> >> Gets frustrating, doesn't it?
> >>
> >> I sure hope someone here can solve our problem!
> >>
> >> Charlie

kelly

Great, glad to hear it and you are most welcome. :eek:)

--

message news:ED4811E2-E977-44C1-B284-3351E00A235B@microsoft.com...