I've been trying to figure it out since Anonymous asked about it originally. I still am not able to come to grips with what it says - very confusing to me. I've asked a few of my friends but they are as baffled as I am. The website says yes, you can use it as a stand alone unit but does not adequately (for my understanding) explain how. The few pictures I've seen of the unit show either an ethernet cable or telephone cable plugged ito it so I just don't know...
Wow, I just found this... took a little more effort than I had expected (or wanted) but here's what MJ+ says for use without a computer
"Using magicJack PLUS without a computer
1. Plug the magicJack PLUS into the power adapter that has been provided
2. Plug the Ethernet cord that has been provided into the magicJack PLUS
3. Plug the other end of the Ethernet cord into your modem our router
4. Plug a telephone into your magicJack PLUS
5. Plug the power adapter into a power outlet
You are now ready to make and receive calls"