Deleted files do not go to Recycle Bin

xenophile

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004

I recently restored my hard disk and the Recycle Bin appears to be corrupted
on a no-password Limited Account account, though not on the power account
(where I fixed it by deleting the contents of "recycler" using the DOS
command window). When I examine the Recycle Bin on the limited account I am
told it is corrupted and when I delete a file I am not asked whether it is
okay to send it to the recycle bin, but only whether I want to delete it.
The "empty recycle bin" option is grayed out. The "Do not remove files to
the recycle bin" option is NOT checked and the "use one setting for all
drives" is checked and the computer has been rebooted several times since.
Please Help: I have searched everywhere for advice without success.

Number 64 on right
Hope this helps. Post back and let us know.
Foxhole

"Xenophile" wrote:

> I recently restored my hard disk and the Recycle Bin appears to be corrupted
> on a no-password Limited Account account, though not on the power account
> (where I fixed it by deleting the contents of "recycler" using the DOS
> command window). When I examine the Recycle Bin on the limited account I am
> told it is corrupted and when I delete a file I am not asked whether it is
> okay to send it to the recycle bin, but only whether I want to delete it.
> The "empty recycle bin" option is grayed out. The "Do not remove files to
> the recycle bin" option is NOT checked and the "use one setting for all
> drives" is checked and the computer has been rebooted several times since.
> Please Help: I have searched everywhere for advice without success.

xenophile

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004

After nervously holding my breath and running the regedit tweak -- AND being
told the recycle bin was still corrupted, and after several file deletes and
emptying of the recycle bin and reboots, it finally did work! I am grateful
for the help.

"Foxhole" wrote:

> Number 64 on right
> Hope this helps. Post back and let us know.
> Foxhole
>
> "Xenophile" wrote:
>
> > I recently restored my hard disk and the Recycle Bin appears to be corrupted
> > on a no-password Limited Account account, though not on the power account
> > (where I fixed it by deleting the contents of "recycler" using the DOS
> > command window). When I examine the Recycle Bin on the limited account I am
> > told it is corrupted and when I delete a file I am not asked whether it is
> > okay to send it to the recycle bin, but only whether I want to delete it.
> > The "empty recycle bin" option is grayed out. The "Do not remove files to
> > the recycle bin" option is NOT checked and the "use one setting for all
> > drives" is checked and the computer has been rebooted several times since.
> > Please Help: I have searched everywhere for advice without success.

You are welcome. This place has saved my rear end many times and I am trying
to help as I was helped.
Foxhole

"Xenophile" wrote:

> After nervously holding my breath and running the regedit tweak -- AND being
> told the recycle bin was still corrupted, and after several file deletes and
> emptying of the recycle bin and reboots, it finally did work! I am grateful
> for the help.
>
> "Foxhole" wrote:
>
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
> > Number 64 on right
> > Hope this helps. Post back and let us know.
> > Foxhole
> >
> > "Xenophile" wrote:
> >
> > > I recently restored my hard disk and the Recycle Bin appears to be corrupted
> > > on a no-password Limited Account account, though not on the power account
> > > (where I fixed it by deleting the contents of "recycler" using the DOS
> > > command window). When I examine the Recycle Bin on the limited account I am
> > > told it is corrupted and when I delete a file I am not asked whether it is
> > > okay to send it to the recycle bin, but only whether I want to delete it.
> > > The "empty recycle bin" option is grayed out. The "Do not remove files to
> > > the recycle bin" option is NOT checked and the "use one setting for all
> > > drives" is checked and the computer has been rebooted several times since.
> > > Please Help: I have searched everywhere for advice without success.

In addition, if any file is corrupt, run Error Checking.

1. In My Computer or Windows Explorer, right-click the drive you want to
check, and then click Properties.
2. On the Tools tab, click Check Now.
3. Check both boxes:

? Automatically fix file system errors
Runs Chkdsk by using the /f parameter.
[[Specifies whether Windows repairs file-system errors found during disk
checking. All files must be closed for this program to run. If the drive is
currently in use, a message asks if you want to reschedule
the disk checking for the next time you restart your computer. Your drive is
not available to run other tasks while the disk is being checked.]]

? Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
Runs Chkdsk by using the /r parameter.
[[Specifies whether Windows repairs file-system errors found during disk
checking, locates bad sectors, and recovers readable information. All files
must be closed for this program to run. If the drive is currently in use, a
message asks if you want to reschedule the disk checking for the next time
you restart your computer. Your drive is not available to run other tasks
while the disk is being checked. If you select this option, you do not need
to select Automatically fix file system errors. Windows fixes any errors on
the disk.]]

You have to reboot for Error-checking to run.

For a peek at the chkdsk log.

Open the Event Viewer...
Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK
Look in Application | Listed as Information |
Event ID: 1001
Source: Winlogon
volume name or serial number to help determine what volume Chkdsk ran
against. Also included is whether Chkdsk ran because a user scheduled it or
because the dirty bit was set.]]

[[When Autochk runs against a volume at boot time it records its output to a
file called Bootex.log in the root of the volume being checked. The Winlogon
service then moves the contents of each Bootex.log file to the Application
Event log.]]

[[This file states whether Chkdsk encountered any errors and, if so,
whether they were fixed.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:4446FE0A-D9A7-48EF-AEF2-9E4EF772A15A@microsoft.com,
Xenophile <Xenophile@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I recently restored my hard disk and the Recycle Bin appears to be
> corrupted on a no-password Limited Account account, though not on the
> power account (where I fixed it by deleting the contents of "recycler"
> using the DOS command window). When I examine the Recycle Bin on the
> limited account I am told it is corrupted and when I delete a file I am
> not asked whether it is okay to send it to the recycle bin, but only
> whether I want to delete it. The "empty recycle bin" option is grayed
> out. The "Do not remove files to the recycle bin" option is NOT checked
> and the "use one setting for all drives" is checked and the computer has
> been rebooted several times since. Please Help: I have searched
> everywhere for advice without success.

kelly

Hi,

You can trust my edits. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a
note via private e-mail. As per your issue, glad you have it now sorted.
More info, just FYI:

This seems to work for many: Make sure that something is in the Recycle Bin
(delete any file). With the Recycle Bin closed, right click and choose:
Empty Recycle Bin. When the confirm box appears, click ok. Reboot. Now the
Recycle Bin should work correctly.

Troubleshooting the Recycle Bin
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_qr.htm#rb

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP

"Xenophile" <Xenophile@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After nervously holding my breath and running the regedit tweak -- AND
> being
> told the recycle bin was still corrupted, and after several file deletes
> and
> emptying of the recycle bin and reboots, it finally did work! I am
> grateful
> for the help.
>
> "Foxhole" wrote:

>> Number 64 on right
>> Hope this helps. Post back and let us know.
>> Foxhole
>>
>> "Xenophile" wrote:
>>
>> > I recently restored my hard disk and the Recycle Bin appears to be
>> > corrupted
>> > on a no-password Limited Account account, though not on the power
>> > account
>> > (where I fixed it by deleting the contents of "recycler" using the DOS
>> > command window). When I examine the Recycle Bin on the limited account
>> > I am
>> > told it is corrupted and when I delete a file I am not asked whether it
>> > is
>> > okay to send it to the recycle bin, but only whether I want to delete
>> > it.
>> > The "empty recycle bin" option is grayed out. The "Do not remove files
>> > the recycle bin" option is NOT checked and the "use one setting for all
>> > drives" is checked and the computer has been rebooted several times
>> > since.
>> > Please Help: I have searched everywhere for advice without success.

kelly

Each one, teach one.....I like that! :eek:) Thanks for the mention.