Add-in PCI-e SATA card causing problems

jpep

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
I am trying to install a simple PCI-e SATA 3 expansion card on my workstation. The workstation is a Dell Precision 670 running Windows 7 Professional. The onboard SATA ports handle the primary and secondary hard drives already so I needed a couple of additional SATA Ports forthe two new optical drives I am installing. Regardless of whether I plug in the two new Optical Drives or not, when I get to the Windows Start-up Splash screen, the startup just hangs there. If I remove the card, all is well again. I spent 2 trips to Microcenter (as they suggested) to make sure the card was not bad and another hour on the phone with Dell Tech, who also could not help me. I have only the operating system drive in the boot up sequence, and have even removed all of the other cards except for the graphics card....again same thing.

jpep

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
I first installed the card without drivers installed, as instructed in the setup instructions that came wit hthe card. Windows start-up froze up. Then I pulled the card, installed the drivers and reinstalled the card. Same thing.

jpep

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
I finally talked to one of my guys in IT. After trying a clean boot and checking the boot partition setup for Windows 7, he suggested I go with a PCI Card. With some research, we concluded an SATA Gen III card was not going to work in my 670 system. I installed a PCI SATA card instead. May have had to sacrifice speed, but I have my SATA Optical Drives working fine.

TRENDING THREADS