Gettign rid of a downloaded update.

Hi all!
I have a downloaded update that keeps failing. I am trying to fix the
problem, but I want to get the download off of my computer. How do I do this?

You ought to mention which update this is & what exact exception code you have in the log file.

If your Windows is at folder \Windows , modify the following folder as appropriate:

From main Windows Start menu, select RUN, type in
CMD <Enter-key>

type in
net stop wuauserv <Enter-key>

Go to Windows Explorer.
Look at this folder
C:\WINNT\SoftwareDistribution\Download

If you find files in there, delete them. That folder is where your system places (temporarily) files from W U downloads.

type in
net start wuauserv <Enter-key>

EXIT <Enter-key>

That will remove the downloaded update item(s).
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

David Langschied wrote:
> Hi all!
> I have a downloaded update that keeps failing. I am trying to fix the
> problem, but I want to get the download off of my computer. How do I
> do this?

Okay, the problem is the KB898641 does not load. I don't know where the log
file is stored. If I can locate the file maybe I can get more help. I have
tried to do a number of things, all of which have failed. Where is the log
file for Windows Update located.

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> You ought to mention which update this is & what exact exception code you have in the log file.
>
> If your Windows is at folder \Windows , modify the following folder as appropriate:U
>
> From main Windows Start menu, select RUN, type in
> CMD <Enter-key>
>
> type in
> net stop wuauserv <Enter-key>
>
> Go to Windows Explorer.
> Look at this folder
> C:\WINNT\SoftwareDistribution\Download
>
> If you find files in there, delete them. That folder is where your system places (temporarily) files from W U downloads.

> type in
> net start wuauserv <Enter-key>
>
> EXIT <Enter-key>
>
> That will remove the downloaded update item(s).
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>

> David Langschied wrote:
> > Hi all!
> > I have a downloaded update that keeps failing. I am trying to fix the
> > problem, but I want to get the download off of my computer. How do I
> > do this?

David,
Use Notepad or Wordpad and open & look at the Windows Update log file
C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log or C:\WINNT\WindowsUpdate.log

Scroll down all the way for the set of lines for the last session.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

David Langschied wrote:

> Okay, the problem is the KB898641 does not load.

Are you sure about that number?

Putting
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898641

in a browser gives me T"he Knowledge Base (KB) Article You
Requested Is Currently Not Available"

> I don't know where the log file is stored. If I can locate the
> file maybe I can get more help. I have tried to do a number of
> things, all of which have failed. Where is the log file for
> Windows Update located.

%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log

(%windir% is typically C:\Windows or C:\Winnt)

and:

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Sorry, a bit dyslexic am I. KB898461

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

> David Langschied wrote:
>
> > Okay, the problem is the KB898641 does not load.
>
> Are you sure about that number?
>
> Putting
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898641
>
> in a browser gives me T"he Knowledge Base (KB) Article You
> Requested Is Currently Not Available"
>

> > I don't know where the log file is stored. If I can locate the
> > file maybe I can get more help. I have tried to do a number of
> > things, all of which have failed. Where is the log file for
> > Windows Update located.
>
> %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log
>
> (%windir% is typically C:\Windows or C:\Winnt)
>
> and:
>
> How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

I ended up putting in a Win XP CD with SP2 already on it and performed a
repair. Everything worked out splendidly. I appreciate everyone's help!

David Langschied wrote:

> Sorry, a bit dyslexic am I. KB898461

Hi,

You really want to have this one installed, if not, a lot of updates
will not be able to install on your computer later on (when using
Windows Update).

Software update 898461 installs a permanent copy of the Package
Installer for Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898461

Herr_Mord found that renaming c:\windows\system32\spupdsvc.exe
solved the KB898461 install problem for him:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/18fe5b48f9e8e589?hl=en&

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: