Gettign rid of a downloaded update.

Hi all!
I have a downloaded update that keeps failing. I am trying to fix the
problem, but I want to get the download off of my computer. How do I do this?
8 answers Last reply
More about gettign downloaded update

    You ought to mention which update this is & what exact exception code you have in the log file.

    If your Windows is at folder \Windows , modify the following folder as appropriate:

    From main Windows Start menu, select RUN, type in
    CMD <Enter-key>

    type in
    net stop wuauserv <Enter-key>

    Go to Windows Explorer.
    Look at this folder
    C:\WINNT\SoftwareDistribution\Download

    If you find files in there, delete them. That folder is where your system places (temporarily) files from W U downloads.

    type in
    net start wuauserv <Enter-key>

    EXIT <Enter-key>

    That will remove the downloaded update item(s).
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    David Langschied wrote:
    > Hi all!
    > I have a downloaded update that keeps failing. I am trying to fix the
    > problem, but I want to get the download off of my computer. How do I
    > do this?

    Okay, the problem is the KB898641 does not load. I don't know where the log
    file is stored. If I can locate the file maybe I can get more help. I have
    tried to do a number of things, all of which have failed. Where is the log
    file for Windows Update located.

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

    > You ought to mention which update this is & what exact exception code you have in the log file.
    >
    > If your Windows is at folder \Windows , modify the following folder as appropriate:U
    >
    > From main Windows Start menu, select RUN, type in
    > CMD <Enter-key>
    >
    > type in
    > net stop wuauserv <Enter-key>
    >
    > Go to Windows Explorer.
    > Look at this folder
    > C:\WINNT\SoftwareDistribution\Download
    >
    > If you find files in there, delete them. That folder is where your system places (temporarily) files from W U downloads.

    > type in
    > net start wuauserv <Enter-key>
    >
    > EXIT <Enter-key>
    >
    > That will remove the downloaded update item(s).
    > --
    > Maurice N
    > MVP Windows - Shell / User
    > -----
    >

    > David Langschied wrote:
    > > Hi all!
    > > I have a downloaded update that keeps failing. I am trying to fix the
    > > problem, but I want to get the download off of my computer. How do I
    > > do this?

    David,
    Use Notepad or Wordpad and open & look at the Windows Update log file
    C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log or C:\WINNT\WindowsUpdate.log

    Scroll down all the way for the set of lines for the last session.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    David Langschied wrote:

    > Okay, the problem is the KB898641 does not load.

    Are you sure about that number?

    Putting
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898641

    in a browser gives me T"he Knowledge Base (KB) Article You
    Requested Is Currently Not Available"

    > I don't know where the log file is stored. If I can locate the
    > file maybe I can get more help. I have tried to do a number of
    > things, all of which have failed. Where is the log file for
    > Windows Update located.

    %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log

    (%windir% is typically C:\Windows or C:\Winnt)

    and:

    How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Sorry, a bit dyslexic am I. KB898461

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

    > David Langschied wrote:
    >
    > > Okay, the problem is the KB898641 does not load.
    >
    > Are you sure about that number?
    >
    > Putting
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898641
    >
    > in a browser gives me T"he Knowledge Base (KB) Article You
    > Requested Is Currently Not Available"
    >

    > > I don't know where the log file is stored. If I can locate the
    > > file maybe I can get more help. I have tried to do a number of
    > > things, all of which have failed. Where is the log file for
    > > Windows Update located.
    >
    > %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log
    >
    > (%windir% is typically C:\Windows or C:\Winnt)
    >
    > and:
    >
    > How to read the Windowsupdate.log file
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    I ended up putting in a Win XP CD with SP2 already on it and performed a
    repair. Everything worked out splendidly. I appreciate everyone's help!

    David Langschied wrote:

    > Sorry, a bit dyslexic am I. KB898461

    Hi,

    You really want to have this one installed, if not, a lot of updates
    will not be able to install on your computer later on (when using
    Windows Update).

    Software update 898461 installs a permanent copy of the Package
    Installer for Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898461

    Herr_Mord found that renaming c:\windows\system32\spupdsvc.exe
    solved the KB898461 install problem for him:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/18fe5b48f9e8e589?hl=en&

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  8. The following bulletin explains why and how to correct. "The can't load problem for KB898461

    Simply follow the instructions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

    It is a must load Windows update file. If not loaded no further Microsoft updates are not offered.

Download Computers Microsoft Windows XP