[ProCurve] Time Settings

Hi Group,

on a ProCurve Switch we get different timestamps. Once in a telnet session
the time command brings an output which is totaly wrong and the output from
the webinterface seems to be correct.

Why do i get different times an how does the switch handle its internal
timestamp?

thx Tom
--
"I'd love to help the world and all its problems. But I'm an entertainer,
and thats all. So next time there's an asteroid or a natural disaster, i'm

Thomas Wildgruber <ng@kastner.de> wrote:
> on a ProCurve Switch we get different timestamps. Once in a telnet
> session the time command brings an output which is totaly wrong and
> the output from the webinterface seems to be correct.

> Why do i get different times an how does the switch handle its
> internal timestamp?

Can you be a bit more specific about how the timestamps in telnet
differ from those in the web interface? Are they off by an integral
number of hours or half-hours? That could be a timezone setting kind
of thing.

Also, there are many different ProCurve switches, so giving the model
number, and better still the firmware version would be helpful. You
might also check www.hp.com/go/procurve and the support links for the
most up-to-date firmware for your switch(es).

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com but NOT BOTH...

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:44:49 GMT, Rick Jones wrote:

>> Thomas Wildgruber <ng@kastner.de> wrote:
>>
>> [Different timstamps in HP Procurve]
>>
> Can you be a bit more specific about how the timestamps in telnet
> differ from those in the web interface? Are they off by an integral
> number of hours or half-hours? That could be a timezone setting kind
> of thing.

In a telnet session the time command in the config menu gave us a completly
wrong timestamp. Neither the hours nor the minutes and even the year showed
a correct setting (11:38 21/03/1900). The Web interface showed a nearly
correct time in the status tab, Overview Event Log.

The telnet 'manager mode switch setup' displays 'Time Sync Method' and
'TimeP Mode' as not configured and 'Time Zone' is set to '0' (default).

Our local timezone is GMT+1

> Also, there are many different ProCurve switches, so giving the model
> number, and better still the firmware version would be helpful. You
> might also check www.hp.com/go/procurve and the support links for the
> most up-to-date firmware for your switch(es).

The switch is a ProCurce 5308xl with a firmware version E.08.42 and Boot
Rom version E.05.04 (We noticed our system is outdated ;)

Bye&Thx Tom

--
"I'd love to help the world and all its problems. But I'm an entertainer,
and thats all. So next time there's an asteroid or a natural disaster, i'm
flatterd that you thought of me, but i'm not the one to call."
(William Shatner; Has Been; Real; 2004)

Thanks - I'll pass the info along (unofficially of course :) to
someone I know in ProCurve land. BTW, there are ProCurve related
forums in the ITRC Forums area at itrc.hp.com and I know that at least
a few ProCurve folks monitor that.

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com but NOT BOTH...

My contact in ProCurve suggested that the switch does not actually
know what time it is. Out of the box it starts with 1/1/90 as the
date/time.

He suggests either using the CLI to set the time, or configure the
switch to use a TIMEP or NTP server.

He went on to say that the web is reporting correct time because the
web client knows what time it is.

hth,

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com but NOT BOTH...

TRENDING THREADS