Bootable CD, XP CD for new PC

I'm looking to purchase a notebook and learned a XP Home CD or a Bootable CD
isn't included. XP Home is already installed.
Isn't a XP CD needed to load uninstalled XP features plus to insert at
various times when prompted?

Also, can a bootable CD be purchased?

If both are purchased at retail, would they be compatible with the installed
version of XP Home and with the keycode differences?

To be prepared for maintenance, what is needed to support XP Home?
Thanks.
--
pcm
16 answers Last reply

    In news:AE586B4F-4F8B-419A-AEB9-0AA484A1EDB4@microsoft.com,
    pcm <pcm@discuss.microsoft.com> typed:
    > I'm looking to purchase a notebook and learned a XP Home CD or a
    > Bootable CD isn't included. XP Home is already installed.
    > Isn't a XP CD needed to load uninstalled XP features plus to insert at
    > various times when prompted?
    >
    > Also, can a bootable CD be purchased?
    >
    > If both are purchased at retail, would they be compatible with the
    > installed version of XP Home and with the keycode differences?
    >
    > To be prepared for maintenance, what is needed to support XP Home?
    > Thanks.

    What kind of notebook? Is this a used notebook, or is it just that the new
    ones don't come with a CD? Often, they come with a recovery partition you
    can use ...might be able to burn a CD from that. But your best bet is to ask
    the manufacturer.

    You could purchase your own retail copy of XP Home if you wish, and it would
    certainly be bootable, but that seems silly if you're already paying for a
    licence for the OS. You would need to use the retail CD-key and not the OEM
    one.

    Ask the manufacturer, or the seller, all the questions before purchasing.

    Hi,

    Call the notebook manufacturer and ask for a regular generic (not recovery)
    disk. They may supply one at a nominal fee (you don't want a retail disk, as
    it may not include all needed drivers for the proprietary hardware used in
    the system). If they won't, let them know you are returning it for a full
    refund and will find a different make.

    Most do not come with disks now, but rather have recovery partitions which
    just wipe and reload the system. The system files generally found on the CD
    are usually in an I386 folder located on the hard drive if you should need
    them. "Value add" programs, like the backup utility, are generally not
    included in the preinstalled versions.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "pcm" <pcm@discuss.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to purchase a notebook and learned a XP Home CD or a Bootable
    > CD
    > isn't included. XP Home is already installed.
    > Isn't a XP CD needed to load uninstalled XP features plus to insert at
    > various times when prompted?
    >
    > Also, can a bootable CD be purchased?
    >
    > If both are purchased at retail, would they be compatible with the
    > installed
    > version of XP Home and with the keycode differences?
    >
    > To be prepared for maintenance, what is needed to support XP Home?
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > pcm

    Thanks, when I ask Toshiba for a "generic disk" (not Recovery CD for that is
    included), am I asking for a Bootable CD or Installation CD? What are some
    names for it? Also, when would that CD be used; I'm assuming always prior to
    complete recovery erasing everything.
    --
    pcm

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Call the notebook manufacturer and ask for a regular generic (not recovery)
    > disk. They may supply one at a nominal fee (you don't want a retail disk, as
    > it may not include all needed drivers for the proprietary hardware used in
    > the system). If they won't, let them know you are returning it for a full
    > refund and will find a different make.
    >
    > Most do not come with disks now, but rather have recovery partitions which
    > just wipe and reload the system. The system files generally found on the CD
    > are usually in an I386 folder located on the hard drive if you should need
    > them. "Value add" programs, like the backup utility, are generally not
    > included in the preinstalled versions.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "pcm" <pcm@discuss.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm looking to purchase a notebook and learned a XP Home CD or a Bootable
    > > CD
    > > isn't included. XP Home is already installed.
    > > Isn't a XP CD needed to load uninstalled XP features plus to insert at
    > > various times when prompted?
    > >
    > > Also, can a bootable CD be purchased?
    > >
    > > If both are purchased at retail, would they be compatible with the
    > > installed
    > > version of XP Home and with the keycode differences?
    > >
    > > To be prepared for maintenance, what is needed to support XP Home?
    > > Thanks.
    > > --
    > > pcm

    Hi and thanks for information.

    Call the notebook manufacturer and ask for a regular generic (not recovery)
    > disk.
    You are asking for whatever they are prepared to supply such that you can
    repair or re-install the operating system in the event of failure..

    Spoke with manufacturer, Toshiba in my case, and they don't provide it at
    all; can't even purchase one; they only provide the Recovery Disk. Also,they
    advised against using any type retail installation disk because of different
    drivers, etc.

    I wouldn't be without the installation CD so that I can perform the repair
    listed last. (You must not use one with service-pack-level later than the one
    you are repairing.)

    When would I use an Installation CD? Would it replace/restore XP if files
    were missing or corrupted or would it re-install XP? Did manufacturer
    provide your Installation CD?

    What kind of notebook? Is this a used notebook, or is it just that the new
    ones don't come with a CD? Often, they come with a recovery partition you
    can use ...might be able to burn a CD from that. But your best bet is to ask
    the manufacturer.

    I'm looking for a new notebook and for a manufacturer that supplies the
    Installation CD. It is possible no manufacturers offer it now.

    Thanks again.

    --
    pcm

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Call the notebook manufacturer and ask for a regular generic (not recovery)
    > disk. They may supply one at a nominal fee (you don't want a retail disk, as
    > it may not include all needed drivers for the proprietary hardware used in
    > the system). If they won't, let them know you are returning it for a full
    > refund and will find a different make.
    >
    > Most do not come with disks now, but rather have recovery partitions which
    > just wipe and reload the system. The system files generally found on the CD
    > are usually in an I386 folder located on the hard drive if you should need
    > them. "Value add" programs, like the backup utility, are generally not
    > included in the preinstalled versions.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "pcm" <pcm@discuss.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm looking to purchase a notebook and learned a XP Home CD or a Bootable
    > > CD
    > > isn't included. XP Home is already installed.
    > > Isn't a XP CD needed to load uninstalled XP features plus to insert at
    > > various times when prompted?
    > >
    > > Also, can a bootable CD be purchased?
    > >
    > > If both are purchased at retail, would they be compatible with the
    > > installed
    > > version of XP Home and with the keycode differences?
    > >
    > > To be prepared for maintenance, what is needed to support XP Home?
    > > Thanks.
    > > --
    > > pcm

    PCM

    You are asking for whatever they are prepared to supply such that you can
    repair or re-install the operating system in the event of failure..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    > Thanks, when I ask Toshiba for a "generic disk" (not Recovery CD for that
    > is
    > included), am I asking for a Bootable CD or Installation CD? What are
    > some
    > names for it? Also, when would that CD be used; I'm assuming always prior
    > complete recovery erasing everything.
    > --
    > pcm
    >

    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Call the notebook manufacturer and ask for a regular generic (not
    >> recovery)
    >> disk. They may supply one at a nominal fee (you don't want a retail disk,
    >> as
    >> it may not include all needed drivers for the proprietary hardware used
    >> in
    >> the system). If they won't, let them know you are returning it for a full
    >> refund and will find a different make.
    >>
    >> Most do not come with disks now, but rather have recovery partitions
    >> which
    >> just wipe and reload the system. The system files generally found on the
    >> CD
    >> are usually in an I386 folder located on the hard drive if you should
    >> need
    >> them. "Value add" programs, like the backup utility, are generally not
    >> included in the preinstalled versions.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "pcm" <pcm@discuss.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I'm looking to purchase a notebook and learned a XP Home CD or a
    >> > Bootable
    >> > CD
    >> > isn't included. XP Home is already installed.
    >> > Isn't a XP CD needed to load uninstalled XP features plus to insert at
    >> > various times when prompted?
    >> >
    >> > Also, can a bootable CD be purchased?
    >> >
    >> > If both are purchased at retail, would they be compatible with the
    >> > installed
    >> > version of XP Home and with the keycode differences?
    >> >
    >> > To be prepared for maintenance, what is needed to support XP Home?
    >> > Thanks.
    >> > --
    >> > pcm

    Hi,

    You want an installation CD, but be careful to specify that you do not want
    a System Recovery disk (which is basically just an image disk).

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "pcm" <pcm@discuss.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks, when I ask Toshiba for a "generic disk" (not Recovery CD for that
    > is
    > included), am I asking for a Bootable CD or Installation CD? What are
    > some
    > names for it? Also, when would that CD be used; I'm assuming always prior
    > complete recovery erasing everything.
    > --
    > pcm
    >

    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Call the notebook manufacturer and ask for a regular generic (not
    >> recovery)
    >> disk. They may supply one at a nominal fee (you don't want a retail disk,
    >> as
    >> it may not include all needed drivers for the proprietary hardware used
    >> in
    >> the system). If they won't, let them know you are returning it for a full
    >> refund and will find a different make.
    >>
    >> Most do not come with disks now, but rather have recovery partitions
    >> which
    >> just wipe and reload the system. The system files generally found on the
    >> CD
    >> are usually in an I386 folder located on the hard drive if you should
    >> need
    >> them. "Value add" programs, like the backup utility, are generally not
    >> included in the preinstalled versions.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "pcm" <pcm@discuss.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I'm looking to purchase a notebook and learned a XP Home CD or a
    >> > Bootable
    >> > CD
    >> > isn't included. XP Home is already installed.
    >> > Isn't a XP CD needed to load uninstalled XP features plus to insert at
    >> > various times when prompted?
    >> >
    >> > Also, can a bootable CD be purchased?
    >> >
    >> > If both are purchased at retail, would they be compatible with the
    >> > installed
    >> > version of XP Home and with the keycode differences?
    >> >
    >> > To be prepared for maintenance, what is needed to support XP Home?
    >> > Thanks.
    >> > --
    >> > pcm

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> > ones don't
    come with a CD? Often, they come with a recovery partition you
    > can use ...

    I just thought I'd add that from my own experience the embedded OS supplied
    seem to be problematic when adding certain popular applications such as
    Norton. I wondered if they were "skeleton" versions?

    pcm wrote:
    > I'm looking to purchase a notebook and learned a XP Home CD or a Bootable CD
    > isn't included. XP Home is already installed.
    > Isn't a XP CD needed to load uninstalled XP features plus to insert at
    > various times when prompted?
    >
    > Also, can a bootable CD be purchased?
    >
    > If both are purchased at retail, would they be compatible with the installed
    > version of XP Home and with the keycode differences?
    >
    > To be prepared for maintenance, what is needed to support XP Home?
    > Thanks.

    Legally, the OEM has met it's contractual obligation to Microsoft
    by providing a means of returning the PC to its ex-factory state,
    whether it's a Recovery CD or a Recovery Partition. They are not
    legally obliged to provide a true installation CD as part of the sale.
    Reputable, customer-service aware OEMs, like Dell and Gateway, do
    provide a full OEM installation CD, that does permit custom
    installations and repairs. Many uncaring OEMs, such as Compaq, HP, and
    Sony, however, in an effort to save pennies and reduce their support
    costs by having to hire support people that can only say "Boot from the
    Recovery CD to return your PC to its original condition," provide only a
    CD bearing a disk image of the hard drive as it left the factory. These
    Recovery/Restore CDs cannot perform normal installations, nor can they
    be used to do any sort of customizations.

    Essentially, it boils down to "You get what you pay for."

    As others have suggested, you can contact the computer manufacturer and
    ask about getting an installation CD. If they refuse to provide one,
    don't hesitate to "vote with your wallet." Simply give your business to
    a company that's willing to provide you the product that you need.
    Don't settle.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    On Saturday 13 August 2005 09:35 am, pcm had this to say in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

    > I'm looking to purchase a notebook and learned a XP Home CD or a Bootable
    > CD
    > isn't included. XP Home is already installed.
    > Isn't a XP CD needed to load uninstalled XP features plus to insert at
    > various times when prompted?
    >
    > Also, can a bootable CD be purchased?
    >
    > If both are purchased at retail, would they be compatible with the
    > installed version of XP Home and with the keycode differences?
    >
    > To be prepared for maintenance, what is needed to support XP Home?
    > Thanks.

    Personally, I wouldn't buy any laptop or desktop that didn't provide a
    bootable o/s installation CD. If the manufacturer won't accomodate ask them
    if they'll sell the computer without the OS and then and purchase a full
    installation OS some place else or better still - after you get the laptop
    without any OS, go and get a free Linux distro and install that.

    --
    Have you been MicroShafted today?
    To mess up a Linux box, you need to work *at* it.

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:10:03 -0700, pcm <pcm@discuss.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    >I'm looking for a new notebook and for a manufacturer that supplies the
    >Installation CD. It is possible no manufacturers offer it now.

    I believe Dell will supply an XP Installation CD, but ONLY if you ask
    at the time of purchase!
    --
    Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

    Thanks all for the information. I haven't found a laptop manufacturer that
    provides a bootable o/s installation CD. The software comes pre-installed.
    Anyone know about or used the pre-installed recovery on the Thinkpads?
    --
    pcm

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:31:12 -0700, pcm <pcm@discuss.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    >Thanks all for the information. I haven't found a laptop manufacturer that
    >provides a bootable o/s installation CD. The software comes pre-installed.
    >Anyone know about or used the pre-installed recovery on the Thinkpads?

    I've seen it posted many times in the Dell group. You can get a XP CD
    **IF** you ask for it at the time of purchase. Call them and let me
    know.
    --
    Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

    In news:45E89402-FFFD-42BE-9F54-ED7EF814AC60@microsoft.com,
    pcm <pcm@discuss.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Thanks all for the information. I haven't found a laptop
    > manufacturer that provides a bootable o/s installation CD. The
    > software comes pre-installed. Anyone know about or used the
    > pre-installed recovery on the Thinkpads?

    My Dell laptop, bought just under a year ago, came with a Windows
    XP installation CD. Whether they still offer it that way, I don't
    know for sure.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Paul Knudsen wrote:
    >>Thanks all for the information. I haven't found a laptop manufacturer that
    >>provides a bootable o/s installation CD. The software comes pre-installed.
    >>Anyone know about or used the pre-installed recovery on the Thinkpads?

    > I've seen it posted many times in the Dell group. You can get a XP CD
    > **IF** you ask for it at the time of purchase. Call them and let me
    > know.

    Will Dell, you can also get the O/S CD long after you've bought, as long
    as you're still under warranty. It'll cost you about $10. Also a good
    idea to ask for any system diagnostic utility CDs they have for your
    system (another $10 or so).

    Ken Blake wrote:
    > My Dell laptop, bought just under a year ago, came with a Windows
    > XP installation CD. Whether they still offer it that way, I don't
    > know for sure.

    If it's XP Pro, MAKE SURE it's not mislabeled - boot to it and make sure
    it says XP Professional. About 9 mos. ago Dell shipped a ton of XP Pro
    CDs that were actually XP Home.

    I know because I got one of 'em. It was quite a surprise when my brand
    new disk failed after a few months and I had to reinstall the O/S from
    the CD.

    In news:PKqVe.31114$ih4.24225@fe02.lga,
    Z <Z@no.spam> typed:

    > Ken Blake wrote:
    >> My Dell laptop, bought just under a year ago, came with a
    >> Windows
    >> XP installation CD. Whether they still offer it that way, I
    >> don't
    >> know for sure.
    >
    > If it's XP Pro, MAKE SURE it's not mislabeled - boot to it and
    > make
    > sure it says XP Professional. About 9 mos. ago Dell shipped a
    > ton of
    > XP Pro CDs that were actually XP Home.

    No, it's not mislabeled, but thanks anyway.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

CD-Rom Windows XP