Sign in with
Your question

External Antenna

Last response: in General Connectivity
June 30, 2003 2:48:22 AM

Hey Guys,

I get pretty good service in my city but there seems to be a dead spot around my apartment complex. I get 0 - 1 bars of service in my house which can be really frustrating. Also, I am locked into a 2 year contract with T-Mobile. I have seen several types of external antennas for use with different phones but I was wondering if they actually work. I have also seen Antenna/Amplifier combos. Does anyone have any experience with any of this stuff. If so, will an external antenna alone get me solid service in my house?

Thanks in advance

More about : external antenna

September 3, 2003 7:32:39 PM

I have a similar problem with my Nextel not working in the apartment and the external antenna works great. I was fortunate enough to find a strong spot outside of my window where I can attach the antenna using the magnetic mount. The only downside is that I just find it a bit akward to talk on the phone with the cord hanging out of the top of it.

As for those signal boosters, they arent very useful unless you are in an open field 30 miles away from the nearest tower. If the antenna cannot figuratively "see" the tower then you are only boosting your level of interfearence.
October 8, 2003 2:28:17 AM

what do you mean loked? did they give you 15 (30) days "tryil" guaranteee?

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
Related resources
November 21, 2003 6:03:37 PM

He means that the phone he bought is SIM(Subscriber Identity Module)LOCKED for the two years that he contracted T-Mobile as a network provider. Here in Europe, we can "buy" a new GSM cell phone for 1 Euro but you're locked into a contract with the phone company for two years.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=23810" target="_new"><font color=blue>My System </font color=blue></A>
<b><font color=blue>VAGABOND<font color=blue></b>

<b><font color=blue>veni,vidi, and ended up in THGC<font color=blue></b>
November 21, 2003 6:05:39 PM

Yeah, it's not a bad idea plus you're extending the distance between you and the antenna.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=23810" target="_new"><font color=blue>My System </font color=blue></A>
<b><font color=blue>VAGABOND<font color=blue></b>

<b><font color=blue>veni,vidi, and ended up in THGC<font color=blue></b>
!