I just received two computers running Windows 98 SE
When I boot the logon prompt appears.
I'd like to remove that.
I got the MS instructions(152104) but they require that I know the
passwords, which I don't.

I could reinstall windows and get around it that way but there are
applications that I don't want to lose.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can change/remove the passwords or
the logon prompt?

Thanks

**Developer** wrote:
> I just received two computers running Windows 98 SE
> When I boot the logon prompt appears.
> I'd like to remove that.
> I got the MS instructions(152104) but they require that I know the
> passwords, which I don't.
>
> I could reinstall windows and get around it that way but there are
> applications that I don't want to lose.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can change/remove the
> passwords or the logon prompt?

Windows 98?
Erase all the PWL files on the machine.

Download and install the older TweakUI from Microsoft (1.33 if I remember
correctly) and setup an Automatic Logon.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Boot it, hit Escape at the login prompt, right-click Network Neighborhood,
click Properties, change the "Primary Network Logon" to Windows Logon,
reboot.

Gregg Hill

" **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message

> I just received two computers running Windows 98 SE
> When I boot the logon prompt appears.
> I'd like to remove that.
> I got the MS instructions(152104) but they require that I know the
> passwords, which I don't.
>
> I could reinstall windows and get around it that way but there are
> applications that I don't want to lose.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can change/remove the passwords or
> the logon prompt?
>

> Thanks

I'll try that.

Thanks

> **Developer** wrote:
>> I just received two computers running Windows 98 SE
>> When I boot the logon prompt appears.
>> I'd like to remove that.
>> I got the MS instructions(152104) but they require that I know the
>> passwords, which I don't.
>>
>> I could reinstall windows and get around it that way but there are
>> applications that I don't want to lose.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can change/remove the
>> passwords or the logon prompt?
>
> Windows 98?
> Erase all the PWL files on the machine.
>
> Download and install the older TweakUI from Microsoft (1.33 if I remember
> correctly) and setup an Automatic Logon.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

This is windows xp forum. You won't get any help for win98 here.

" **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message

> I just received two computers running Windows 98 SE
> When I boot the logon prompt appears.
> I'd like to remove that.
> I got the MS instructions(152104) but they require that I know the
> passwords, which I don't.
>
> I could reinstall windows and get around it that way but there are
> applications that I don't want to lose.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can change/remove the passwords or
> the logon prompt?
>

> Thanks

OOPS!

"News Reader" <stealth@null.net> wrote in message
> This is windows xp forum. You won't get any help for win98 here.
>

> " **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message
>>

>> I just received two computers running Windows 98 SE
>> When I boot the logon prompt appears.
>> I'd like to remove that.
>> I got the MS instructions(152104) but they require that I know the
>> passwords, which I don't.
>>
>> I could reinstall windows and get around it that way but there are
>> applications that I don't want to lose.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can change/remove the passwords
>> or the logon prompt?
>>

>> Thanks

Thanks for the info

"Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Boot it, hit Escape at the login prompt, right-click Network Neighborhood,
> click Properties, change the "Primary Network Logon" to Windows Logon,
> reboot.
>
> Gregg Hill
>

> " **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message
>>

>> I just received two computers running Windows 98 SE
>> When I boot the logon prompt appears.
>> I'd like to remove that.
>> I got the MS instructions(152104) but they require that I know the
>> passwords, which I don't.
>>
>> I could reinstall windows and get around it that way but there are
>> applications that I don't want to lose.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can change/remove the passwords
>> or the logon prompt?
>>

>> Thanks

Thanks
"Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Boot it, hit Escape at the login prompt, right-click Network Neighborhood,
> click Properties, change the "Primary Network Logon" to Windows Logon,
> reboot.
>
> Gregg Hill
>

> " **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message
>>

>> I just received two computers running Windows 98 SE
>> When I boot the logon prompt appears.
>> I'd like to remove that.
>> I got the MS instructions(152104) but they require that I know the
>> passwords, which I don't.
>>
>> I could reinstall windows and get around it that way but there are
>> applications that I don't want to lose.
>>
>> Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can change/remove the passwords
>> or the logon prompt?
>>

>> Thanks

You are welcome!