Sign in with
Your question

Please take a look over my new equip list. Thanks!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 20, 2003 5:02:01 AM

If you've bounce around the various forums here you'll have seen me asking questions in almost every forum here. :p  I've been working on putting together a really great system. Only problem is, I may not be able to afford it all at once. :/  First thing I'll put off buying is the new video card since I already have a Radeon 8500, but I'm hoping I won't have to do that.

Please take a look over what I have decided on and tell me what you think, and if you think I made a mistake anywhere.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me over the past week!! :) 

Case:
Enermax CS-3171L-B3A $78.00 USD

Power Supply:
Antecs TrueBlue480 $98.99 USD

CPU:
3 Ghz PentiumĀ® 4 Processor with HT Technology

Motherboards:
Gigabyte GA-8KNXP (Non-Ultra)

Monitor:
Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070-SB 22" CRT Monitor - Black (Without SpectraView)
$603.00 USD

Video Card:
ATI Radeon 9800Pro $369.00 USD

Hard Drives:
2X 80 gig DiamondMax Plus 9 (7200rpm, 8MB buffer with fluid dynamic bearing motors)

Ram:
Corsair TWINX1024-3500C2 434MHz

Keyboard:
Logitech Cordless Comfort Duo BLACK - RETAIL $77.00 USD

Case Fans:
120mm Tri-Blue Antec

80mm Quad-Lite

Misc:
Arctic Silver III Thermal Compound

3X IDE, 48cm, Blue Neon

Floppy, 48cm, Blue Neon

More about : equip list

April 20, 2003 6:24:02 AM

i'd say thats the shitt... tho i know i can get some o the stuff you've listed for less money. i KNOW i can get that monitor for a bunch less. the system does kick ass tho. good job.

<font color=orange><b>these days every one knows how small your penis is, and they are dying to help you with many many penis enlargement emails.
April 20, 2003 6:56:55 AM

Currently, Corsair is recommending that people use pairs of either XMS3200C2 or XMS3500C2 modules with the canterwood chipset motherboards. In their labs, they experienced problems with the "Low-Latency" memory (includes TWINX). (<A HREF="http://www.dwpg.com/content.php?contid=24&artid=252" target="_new">article</A>).
Related resources
April 20, 2003 7:33:29 AM

I was under the impression that "TWINX" just meant that they ram was tested to work at a pair. The problems they were having was with the fact that it was "LL" for low latency. The TWINX 3500 (which isn't even out quite yet) isn't going to be LL, or at least not at first I think.

If I have this wrong let me know. But I thought TWINX was the designation for ram that worked together properly.

Scamtron: I know someone who works in an office and is in charge of purchasing computer stuff. She's going to see what kind of deals she can get for me from the people she goes to for computer equipment. Also, I live in Canada so unless you could get me a considerably better deal, the duty would kill me anyways... :(  But thanks for the offer!

If you want to PM me with a quote on the monitor I can compare that to what she can get it for. It'd be a good comparison for me. Who knows, maybe you got better contacts. :p 
April 20, 2003 7:47:04 AM

Quote:
I was under the impression that "TWINX" just meant that they ram was tested to work at a pair. The problems they were having was with the fact that it was "LL" for low latency. The TWINX 3500 (which isn't even out quite yet) isn't going to be LL, or at least not at first I think.

If I have this wrong let me know. But I thought TWINX was the designation for ram that worked together properly.

It appears as though TWINX is "Low-Latency" Memory tested in pairs as opposed to just memory tested in pairs. As every TWINX bundle i've seen has "LL" in the model number which denotes Low-Latency. However, the TWINX PC3500 may be different. I just thought I'd bring a possible potential problem to your attention.
April 21, 2003 3:40:48 AM

Thats one heck of a system you have there. Which CPU? 3.0 Ghz 800 FSB or 3.06 533 FSB? How soon you buying this? 3.2 Ghz 800 Fsb due out sometime in May. Don't have release date yet. Price $600+
April 21, 2003 6:39:27 AM

hehe, add a cd-rw for 60 dollars, a liteon from newegg. They rock.
April 21, 2003 6:50:47 AM

I want to get it as soon as the P4 3Ghz 800FSB actually hits the shelves. If intel doesn't fix the bug till late april then I doubt they'll release the 3.2 till late may, and I don't want to wait that long. Besides... you could wait forever and you'd never be done waiting "for the next best thing"

As for a RW, I actually already have an older DVD player and a RW. I'm sticking with those for now since my budget is already going to explode over this stuff. I may have to hold off on the 9800 pro due to the cost. :/  I have an 8500 now, so if I do have to wait, its not like I'll be dying.
!