Building a pc soon and i've got a few noob audio questions. I want to use the pc for gaming and as a home theater pc for blue ray and for music.
1) what is the difference between 5.1 and 7.1?
2)is 7.1 supported by games/blueray?
3)if the motherboard has an onboard audio chipset (realtek ALC889) is that good enough or should i get another audio processor? I've been told that the onboard audio is always garbage and that I'll need to upgrade it. I'd like another opinion or
2) - Blu Rays are mostly in 5.1, although I have seen a 6.1 DTS-Master in my movie collection.
- Games are in 5.1. If you have 7 satellites the surrounds rears will mirror the output from the surrounds.
3) They are about as good as the typical desktop speakers you see people using. I think they are well paired.
4) I would suggest craigslist or ebay. I suppose an Onkyo HT-S3300 could fit your budget. It's not very good, but it's probably the best you can find for $300.