Sign in with
Your question

System BottleNeck Analysis

Last response: in CPUs
April 20, 2003 5:35:11 AM

I'm planning to Upgrade my PC, but I can't buy all the Components in One Step... My Future upgrade components will be:

- AMD Athlon XP Barton 2500+ (Boxed: I think the Boxed Cooler is quite cool)
- Asus A7N8X Deluxe
- 2x256 DDR400 LowLatency for High Memory Bandwidth (Corsair)
- Radeon 9700 PRO

My main components for the current system are:
- CPU AMD Athlon XP Palomino 1800+ (Overclocked to 2000+)
- ABIT KR7A-133
- 1x256 DDR266 CL2.5
- GeForce 3 Ti200 64M
- Maxtor Diamond Max ATA 133 (60GB)
- SB Audigy MP3+

So I'm figuring out what is the Current System BottleNeck...

I think the CPU/MOBO/SoundBoard/MEM can handle the Geforce3 at It's maximum benefits, so I think the GeForce3 is my BottleNeck right now...

Of course the Radeon 9700+ will make the rest of the system to be the Bottleneck, but I Want to make an initial boost for the System... and changing CPU/MOBO/MEM keeping the GeForce3 won't boost my Gaming performance right now...

What do U Think, guys? CPU/MOBO/MEM First or ATI Radeon 9700 First???

To Be or not to Be?
Should I get a Bike or get Married? :) 

More about : system bottleneck analysis

April 20, 2003 6:18:21 AM

IF you want good performance increase in gaming go with the 9700 pro. or i'd say get new mobo and ram only. your cpu is really not a bottleneck.
Quote:
LowLatency for High Memory Bandwidth

also keep in mind that low cas latency dosn't increase bandwidth, higher MHZ do. i don't know if its just me or you edit videos too... i don't know... it sounds that way to me. if thats the case, do raid 0. that would be the biggest bottleneck. also what res do you play your games in? even if you play at 1024x768, your cpu won't be a bottleneck.

<font color=orange><b>these days every one knows how small your penis is, and they are dying to help you with many many penis enlargement emails.
April 20, 2003 1:36:32 PM

I play my games at 1024x768 most time...

I Thought i'm not with the CPU/MOBO/MEM bottleneck, cause in 1024x768 in UT2003, I have 65 Score on the benchmark, against the 63 score of the GeFoce3 with XP2700 A7N8X 512DDR from Tomshardware Video Charts...

With WarCraft 3 At full quality settings, I play smooth at 1152x864 but no ANISO or FSAA...

Yes! I Edit Video and Make Music... I Got a MIDI CT-700 Casio Keyb connected on my PC... i Use FM7 for playing and testing Audio Performance... I get great results with ASIO at 1152 samples Buffersize at 48000Khz...

I have a DV Cam on my SB1394 Port and It seems to work very well...

Its nice to know someone who thinks my CPU isn't my bottleneck! :)  ... I think CPU evolution is getting more and more theorical... the thing nowadays, just can be seen in numbers, caus I don't SEE the results... For example: 65 Score, better than 63 score with XP2700 in UT2003 Benchmark...

Maybe Ill do the RAID 0 when I Get the A7N8X Deluxe from asus...

Just 1 more question:
- Won't the 266Mhz FSB from CPU affect the Dual Channel operation of the 400Mhz RAM???

Thanks for your help!
Related resources
April 21, 2003 10:16:30 AM

its important that you run your ram and fsb the same speed. if you can, that would be the best way. you also said your cpu is oced so you might be able to go with a higher fsb. the via 266a chipset doesn't have all the options, but the new mobo that you would get get with a gforce 2 chipset will offer more options to set your mem and fsb speed.

a geforece3 is still a fast vid card. and if you are playing games fine, you should save the money. once a part of your pc is below average, then you should use the money. your system is actually not bad for the time. i say do the upgrade only if you know you WILL see a difference in speed, not just numbers. new ram, mobo with raid does sound very nice tho.

<font color=orange><b>these days every one knows how small your penis is, and they are dying to help you with many many penis enlargement emails.
April 21, 2003 10:25:32 AM

Quote:
Won't the 266Mhz FSB from CPU affect the Dual Channel operation of the 400Mhz RAM???

According to the nForce2 Memory Architecture Tech Brief, the memory should run in sync with the FSB for optimal performance. Even though your ram has shown the ability to run at 400MHz - and thus given that rating - it still would be best to run the memory in sync with the FSB. The 400MHz capability of your memory would however be beneficial for overclocking and/or future upgrades.
April 21, 2003 10:29:32 AM

Quote:
Maybe Ill do the RAID 0 when I Get the A7N8X Deluxe from asus...

Planning to do IDE RAID or Serial ATA RAID? In order to do IDE RAID you'll need two IDE-SATA converters. But, there seems to be a high number of folks having problems with such setups. I'm not sure if this problem is occuring because they are not using <i>pure</i> Serial ATA drives.
May 22, 2010 5:25:18 PM

nice setup. can it play crysis?
!