Sign in with
Your question

onboard sound and CPU performance

Last response: in CPUs
April 20, 2003 6:58:57 AM

I read an article last week about onboard sound and CPU performance. How big of an impact does onboard sound have on a cpu? I have a Soyo Dragon Ultra KT333 running an Athlon XP 1900+. My onboard sound is C-Media 6-channel 8738.

I think the onboard sound is better than a Sound Blaster Live Value card I have, but I would likely be happy with the Soundblaster if it increased performance a lot.

<font color=red><b>To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, II 262-263
April 20, 2003 8:20:17 AM

All current on board sound except nForce2 SoundStorm utilises more CPU resource simply becasue they need CPU to emulate the APU. C-Media may sounds better than Live Value but the drawback is that the CPU resource usage is so big that you'll expect a 11-13% relative performance drop.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
a b à CPUs
April 20, 2003 8:37:34 AM

Live! series is a system hog, when CPU's where half as powerfull as they are now it used about 10-15% of system power! Now you have twice the power, but the onboard stuff uses 10-15%! So given those two pieces of information, I'd say you're looking at a 5-7% performance loss due to onboard audio.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
Related resources
April 20, 2003 9:09:46 AM

I have that Soundblaster Live Value in my second computer, and it needs all the cpu power it can get, running a K6-2+ 550 overclocked to 600 Mhz. Sounds like I should take that thing out and put an old SB16 in there...

April 20, 2003 6:58:20 PM

So is the advice to put the SB LV in the Athlon XP 1900+ system (and disable the onboard C-Media) and then put an old SB16 in the K6-2+ system?

a b à CPUs
April 20, 2003 11:06:58 PM

Yes, ISA cards are very easy on the CPU, an old SB16, AWE32, etc, would be a great thing for it.

a b à CPUs
April 20, 2003 11:49:16 PM

Yes, if that's what you would want to do. Didn't you say you prefered the sound of the onboard chip though? You'll have to way out the benifits (a 5-7% gain in CPU performance with things like games) against the consequences.

!