KB324150: "Windows cannot update your roaming profile" err..

Searching the Knowledge base, this is the exact problem I'm having:

"Windows XP Professional users receive a "Windows cannot update your roaming
profile" error message when they log off"

The log off message on my screen also details the problem further and says:

"Detail - the process cannot access the file that is being used by another
process"

What happens is that the computer takes an extra 30 seconds to shutdown
unless you manually acknowledge the message.

When I look in the task manager under the process tab, I note that only one
process is associated with a different/unique user. This one process is
associated with the "Administrator" user while the rest of the processes are
accociated with "system", "local", or the logged in user.

According the KB324150, there is nothing that can be done since this is by
design by Microsoft.

Any comments, suggestions, or questions would be greatly appreciated.

--
Best regards,
Recho

    In news:E53400FB-B615-4810-8D48-588A823A6388@microsoft.com,
    Recho <recho-suave@usa.net.(donotspam)> typed:
    > Searching the Knowledge base, this is the exact problem I'm having:
    >
    > "Windows XP Professional users receive a "Windows cannot update your
    > roaming profile" error message when they log off"
    >
    > The log off message on my screen also details the problem further and
    > says:
    >
    > "Detail - the process cannot access the file that is being used by
    > another process"
    >
    > What happens is that the computer takes an extra 30 seconds to
    > shutdown unless you manually acknowledge the message.
    >
    > When I look in the task manager under the process tab, I note that
    > only one process is associated with a different/unique user. This
    > one process is associated with the "Administrator" user while the
    > rest of the processes are accociated with "system", "local", or the
    > logged in user.
    >
    > According the KB324150, there is nothing that can be done since this
    > is by design by Microsoft.

    It also says:
    This problem occurs because Windows 2000 detects that the user does not
    have sufficient disk space to copy the profile.

    Is that the case?
    How big is the roaming profile? They need to be *tiny*. Redirect My
    Documents (at the very least) to the users' home directories. Advise them
    not to store files on the desktop, if you aren't redirecting that (and I
    don't).

    > Any comments, suggestions, or questions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks LW! How do I lookup the size of the roaming profile and how do I
    redirect it to the home directory?

    You've described my problem to the tee. When I upgraded to a new computer
    (both computers have WinXP Pro), I used the file transfer wizard along with
    the backup/restore utility. I noticed that in Outlook that I had 2 profiles
    and 2 "My Documents" folders. On the old computer I used the profile name
    "Charles Crane" and on the new computer I set the profile name to "Charles".
    I compared the folders and deleted all reference to "Charles Crane" and
    that's when I started experiencing the problem.
    --
    Best regards,
    Recho

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

    > In news:E53400FB-B615-4810-8D48-588A823A6388@microsoft.com,
    > Recho <recho-suave@usa.net.(donotspam)> typed:
    > > Searching the Knowledge base, this is the exact problem I'm having:
    > >
    > > "Windows XP Professional users receive a "Windows cannot update your
    > > roaming profile" error message when they log off"
    > >
    > > The log off message on my screen also details the problem further and
    > > says:
    > >
    > > "Detail - the process cannot access the file that is being used by
    > > another process"
    > >
    > > What happens is that the computer takes an extra 30 seconds to
    > > shutdown unless you manually acknowledge the message.
    > >
    > > When I look in the task manager under the process tab, I note that
    > > only one process is associated with a different/unique user. This
    > > one process is associated with the "Administrator" user while the
    > > rest of the processes are accociated with "system", "local", or the
    > > logged in user.
    > >
    > > According the KB324150, there is nothing that can be done since this
    > > is by design by Microsoft.
    >
    > It also says:
    > This problem occurs because Windows 2000 detects that the user does not
    > have sufficient disk space to copy the profile.
    >
    > Is that the case?
    > How big is the roaming profile? They need to be *tiny*. Redirect My
    > Documents (at the very least) to the users' home directories. Advise them
    > not to store files on the desktop, if you aren't redirecting that (and I
    > don't).
    >

    > > Any comments, suggestions, or questions would be greatly appreciated.

    Inline....

    In news:D93B0202-10A0-4015-A929-E06D9BB8D4F0@microsoft.com,
    Recho <recho-suave@usa.net.(donotspam)> typed:
    > Thanks LW! How do I lookup the size of the roaming profile

    Take ownership of the profile folder on the server---as Administrators, the
    group, not Administrator, the user--and make sure the NTFS permissions are
    set so that Administrators, System, and <User> have full control. Make sure
    the settings are pushed down through the subfolders.

    For folder sizes and "where is all the stuff I know is in here somewhere" I
    like Jam Software's TreeSize Pro - google it. Worth buying.

    Once you find out how big it is, and what is getting stored where, you have
    a chance to see what's what.

    You might also want to move your profiles share to a volume on the server
    that has more space, if this does turn out to be the issue. My boilerplate
    follows:

    General tips:

    1. Set up a share on the server. For example - d:\profiles, shared as
    profiles$ to make it hidden from browsing.
    2. Make sure the share permissions on profiles$ indicate everyone=full
    control. Set the NTFS security to administrators, system, and users=full
    control.
    3. In the users' ADUC properties, specify \\server\profiles%\%username% in
    the profiles field
    4. Have each user log into the domain once from their usual workstation
    (where their existing profile lives) and log out. The profile is now
    roaming.

    Notes:

    * Make sure users understand that they should never log into multiple
    computers at the same time when they have roaming profiles (unless you make
    the profiles mandatory by renaming ntuser.dat to ntuser.man so they can't
    change them). Explain that the
    last one out
    wins, when it comes to uploading the final, changed copy of the profile.

    * Keep your profiles TINY. Redirect My Documents
    to a subfolder of each user's home directory on the server - either via
    group policy (folder redirection) or manually (less advisable). If you
    aren't going to also redirect the desktop using policies, tell people that
    they are not to store any files on the desktop or you will beat them with a
    stick. Big profile=slow login/logout, and possible profile corruption.

    * Note that user profiles are not compatible between different OS versions,
    even between W2k/XP. Keep all your computers. Keep your workstations as
    identical as possible - meaning, OS version is the same, SP level is the
    same, app load is (as much as possible) the same.

    * Do not let people store any data locally - all data belongs on the server.

    > and how
    > do I redirect it to the home directory?

    You don't redirect the profile - you redirect the My Documents folder. Since
    you're on a domain, you'd likely want to do this via group policy, but you
    haven't mentioned your version of Windows server and anything about your
    domain. Might want to post in microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (with
    that info) and ask for help....but the basics are, User Config\Windows
    Settings\Folder Redirection.

    > You've described my problem to the tee. When I upgraded to a new
    > computer (both computers have WinXP Pro), I used the file transfer
    > wizard along with the backup/restore utility.

    Oh, FYI, this is not necesssary if you don't store any data locally, use
    folder redirection for the biggies, and have functional roaming profiles.

    Also apply
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&displaylang=en

    > I noticed that in
    > Outlook that I had 2 profiles and 2 "My Documents" folders. On the
    > old computer I used the profile name "Charles Crane" and on the new
    > computer I set the profile name to "Charles". I compared the folders
    > and deleted all reference to "Charles Crane" and that's when I
    > started experiencing the problem.
    >

    >> In news:E53400FB-B615-4810-8D48-588A823A6388@microsoft.com,
    >> Recho <recho-suave@usa.net.(donotspam)> typed:
    >>> Searching the Knowledge base, this is the exact problem I'm having:
    >>>
    >>> "Windows XP Professional users receive a "Windows cannot update your
    >>> roaming profile" error message when they log off"
    >>>
    >>> The log off message on my screen also details the problem further
    >>> and says:
    >>>
    >>> "Detail - the process cannot access the file that is being used by
    >>> another process"
    >>>
    >>> What happens is that the computer takes an extra 30 seconds to
    >>> shutdown unless you manually acknowledge the message.
    >>>
    >>> When I look in the task manager under the process tab, I note that
    >>> only one process is associated with a different/unique user. This
    >>> one process is associated with the "Administrator" user while the
    >>> rest of the processes are accociated with "system", "local", or the
    >>> logged in user.
    >>>
    >>> According the KB324150, there is nothing that can be done since this
    >>> is by design by Microsoft.
    >>
    >> It also says:
    >> This problem occurs because Windows 2000 detects that the user
    >> does not have sufficient disk space to copy the profile.
    >>
    >> Is that the case?
    >> How big is the roaming profile? They need to be *tiny*. Redirect My
    >> Documents (at the very least) to the users' home directories. Advise
    >> them not to store files on the desktop, if you aren't redirecting
    >> that (and I don't).
    >>

    >>> Any comments, suggestions, or questions would be greatly
    >>> appreciated.

Microsoft Windows XP