Sign in with
Your question

Is it woth waiting for the 800Mhz cpu from intel ?

Last response: in CPUs
April 20, 2003 11:40:38 AM

Hi,

I was planning on buying a pc this week but I noticed that in some two weeks the P4 with 800Mhz is available ??

I would mostly use my pc for 3D gaming and running XP.

And what would be a good motherboard for this ??

Thanks
April 20, 2003 3:01:55 PM

Lots of I875E chipset motherboards to choose from, Im playing with a P4C800 currently and it is rock solid as far as stability and performance. I picked up a OEM 2.26gz P4 from Fry's and pulled 200+ fsb with ease.

<A HREF="http://fugger.netfirms.com/210.jpg" target="_new">2.26Ghz SL6RY @ 3.57Ghz</A>. 220 I lose stability and I backed off to 200FSB while I break it in.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>
April 20, 2003 3:11:41 PM

Yep, a Canterwood chipset motherboard looks like the best option for this build.
Related resources
April 22, 2003 7:13:44 PM

Sure, Canterwood seems to be Intels best chipset right now. But the 800 MHz FSB CPU's provide a pretty small performance increase over the 533 FSB ones. However since the price of the new CPUs aren't really more expensive, the 800 FSB ones are clearly the best buy for Intel buyers seeking a new platform. However, make sure that you not only increase the FSB but also the MHz on your purchase. Eg. if you currently use a P4 2.4 with 533 FSB, go for a 2.6 Ghz with 800 FSB etc. Because again, in my mind, the performance increase of the 800 FSB alone is pretty small.

A good mainboard would be any of the MSI Neo series.
April 23, 2003 7:58:07 AM

Significant performance increase over the SC DDR choices.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>
April 23, 2003 9:07:23 AM

Somewhat significant in my mind. However, comparing the new P4 3.0 at 800 FSB on the Canterwood chip against the old 3.06 at 533 FSB on the Granite Bay chip, did yield a pretty insignificant performance increase in total. I'd say quite disappointing considering the huge raise in FSB.
April 25, 2003 12:44:03 AM

In all the benchmarks the 3.0D1 has beaten the 3.06C1, not sure what you are talking about. And the memory bandwidth is significant. Put down the crack pipe.

GB Sandra pulls 3500 at 133FSB 1:1 ratio.
CW Sandra pulls 4900 at 200FSB 1:1 ratio.

The new memory clock gens are superior, comprende?

April 25, 2003 12:57:49 AM

people - comprehend? no way dude! lol!

ya the 800mhz chip is pretty impressive considering the only change made is upping the FSB and Dual Channel memory. With some extra goodies too. Prescott should be amazing.

what i don't like is the fact that the motherboard cost like 250 bucks. I don't appreciate that so i'm not buying it. I'll stick with old technology for now. It works. I don't need the latest and the greatest. I do want a fastest processor with out buying all new crap. I hate upgrading my motherboard! It's such a pain in the ass.

well laterz

Life is irrelivent and irrational.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
April 25, 2003 3:18:55 AM

Several benchmarks around the net tell me that the difference is insignificant. If you think otherwise, fine. Just don't insult me like you did (I don't use crack pipes, k?)

Realize that we just think different. Accept it. Face it.
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2003 4:11:56 AM

MSI has one for $180.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2003 4:14:35 AM

The "800MHz bus" gives you a small gain, but only the 3.0GHz CPU is available in that bus speed right now. The 875P chipset is compatable with all bus speeds, and offers a significant performance boost in itself. Probably your best bet if you can't afford a 3.0GHz CPU is to get the i875P chipset and use it with an older "533MHz" bus CPU like the 2.53 or the 2.66.

April 25, 2003 10:31:30 AM

Its called Bandwidth.

April 25, 2003 1:05:09 PM

Springdale should perform nicely and should also be much cheaper. It has all the features Canterwood has, except for PAT - but that should´nt really make that big a difference...
April 25, 2003 2:01:40 PM

I'm generally preferring AMD's products over Intel's. But this time, when Intel introduced plans for 800 mhz FSB CPU's, I had this small interest in eventually purchasing such a CPU in the near future. But when I saw the benchmarks, I got quite disgruntled by the small differences.

I think Intel should have released the new 800 FSB CPU in 3.10 GHz flavor so it always outperformed the old 3.06 P4. I would even go as far as saying that the total performance increase over the 533 FSB 3.06 is very small at best. Only users that had a P4 2.6 or below, or AMD 2600+ will get a significant performance boost with this new P4.

Now I'm definitely staying with my Athlon XP 3000+ for quite a while. I'm sure I would've kept it until at least 2 more generations of CPU's would show anyways, but I got the interest from P4 800 MHz FSB and lost it again. In my opinion, it's really only for people, who, like I said, upgrade from 2.4 or 2.6 GHz P4's or less. If anyone planned to upgrade from a current top-of-the-line 3.06, it's definitely not worth it at all. No matter if they're rich or not.
April 25, 2003 4:34:22 PM

ya i know. I saw all the boards out. My philosophy though is, why is this board 171 and all the rest over 200? Cheap parts probably. I would guess you'll run into stability problems with the MSI board especially when overclocking. Just a guess because it is cheaper the nall the rest and there has to be a reason for it. So, i excluded that board.

DFI probably has the coolest motherboard and it looks like asus has the most features.

I need firewire and lots of USB ports and i don't want parallel and serial ports. So i'd wait for the ABIT MAXX series. I really like it and i hope other companies will follow because having serial and parallel ports is such a waste.

well my plan though is to buy the 3.06ghz cpu and then later in the year buy a new motherboard and then later on buy prescott and DDR-II memory. Or wait until PCI express is mainstream. I think i'll do that. Or until my motherboard dies. *shrugs* whatever ..

laterz

Life is irrelivent and irrational.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
April 25, 2003 7:39:08 PM

It sure stomps 845PE and older chipsets. But I dont see upgrading from a 3000+ a worthwhile.

April 25, 2003 8:14:52 PM

Just as a note on the performance increase over the p4 3.06 533mhz I took a minute and read a few reviews and whatnot on it again, basically anywhere that benefits from memory bandwidth you see the p4 3.0 800mhz perform 7-15% better than the older 3.06 533mhz model. If it relies on raw cpu power you see a 0-5% decrease in the score due to the lose of ~60mhz. In real world performance you seem to see the largest benefit in the games area... None of the XPs ever matched either of the 3.0[6] chips though (Nothing wrong with them, they make a superior chip to almost all the lower speed intel chips or any intel chip when considering performance to price ratio) Supposedly the 3.0 is also a grade a++ overclocking chip too. Anywho, just my .02.

Shadus
April 25, 2003 8:52:17 PM

Your exactly right in CPU intensive apps the 3.06 will be faster, and in RAM intesive apps the 3.0C will be faster. If you compare a 2.8 533 with a 2.8 800 the 2.8 800 will be faster in both CPU and RAM apps thanks to HT and PAT. It will be worth the modest price difference.

PS skater the Abit IC7-G has a parellel port.

Anyhow, the good 875p boards are not even out yet. Anandtech has a link to the new MSI 875 board. Its the first one that I have seen beat the Intel ref board in every bench.....that said 250 is a lot.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -- Benjamin Franklin
April 25, 2003 10:25:27 PM

Yup, and seeing from what I believe, raw cpu power programs and bandwidth programs exists pretty much in perfect harmony with each other ;) , you get a 7-10% percent performance increase at best with the 3.0. Most of the time the difference is much lower, so if you ask me, the 3.0 holds a very minor performance advantage over the 3.06.

As to the 3000+, no it might not be as fast as the 3.0 P4's, but it comes damn close to the 533 FSB 3.06 one. Anyways, I'm very satisfied with the 3000+. The boxed fan is awesome and the stability is great. (Not that stability isn't great with the 3.0 P4 too).
April 26, 2003 1:33:29 AM

Well, I did it. I ordered a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP non-Ultra today (don't really need SCSI.) Besides the fact that Gigabyte has an excellent reputation, the board just looks cool. :smile: I know, it's not very important--it is a little bit important though, since my case has windows...

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=13-128-18..." target="_new">Gigabyte GA8KNXP</A>

<font color=green>The Netherlands is where you go when you're too good for heaven.</font color=green> :tongue:
April 26, 2003 3:16:07 AM

What did you pay for that board? What are you using for Cpu?I may buy that board but still waiting. So now that you have it. You can let us know how its working.
April 26, 2003 3:42:30 AM

The board is $250. It will probably come down in price. I have been buying components every month for the last three months, starting with the case and powers supply. They are all sitting in my closet, waiting for all the rest of it. Next month, a P4-3.0/800FSB (hopefully a price drop) and a 9800 PRO will finish my orgy of spending and 'll be able to actually build it.

<font color=green>The Netherlands is where you go when you're too good for heaven.</font color=green> :tongue:
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2003 7:17:50 AM

no d00d, it's cheaper because it has fewer onboard features! LOOK, it's the same PCB and chipset as their $220 version. And the $220 version compares to Asus's deluxe in both price and features.

April 26, 2003 7:29:18 AM

Only someone truly Dutch could be strong enough not to play with all that stuff he has in his closet.

Man who sleeps with sex on mind, wakes with solution in hand.
!