VGA TO HDMI

bahnawk

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
HI,
I JUST GOT A VGA TO HDMI CABLE TO CONNECT MY LAPTOP TO MY TV BUT WHEN I PLUGGED IT IN NOTHING HAPPENS. DO I NEED A DRIVER?
IM RUNNING A WIN7PRO DELL LATITUDE D520

mavroxur

Distinguished
You may need to press "Fn + F8" on the laptop to enable video on the VGA port. Some older laptops, even when running Win 7, will not automatically detect when a projector / external monitor is connected. Also, make sure you have the proper video drivers installed, since if you don't, the external port may not work properly.

mavroxur

Distinguished

Not entirely true. The VGA standard theoretically doesn't have a resolution maximum. Cards with a 400MHz DAC can do 2048x1536, which is higher than 1080P by a good margin. Now, the quality may not be great at that resolution, but using a good card, good (short) cables, and a good monitor, it's actually quite good. I've used VGA for 1080P several times, and the results were good. Then again, I wasn't using junk hardware either. High quality cables, and coming from a native VGA port going straight to a projector with VGA in. No conversions in between. On "average" hardware, of course, digital will look better. But don't write off VGA as being a being terrible.

All of the above answers are incorrect. VGA is analog. HDMI is digital. They are completely and totally incompatible and you cannot use a cable to output from a VGA port to an HDMI input. To put it nicely, you got scammed.

Also just FYI typing in caps is considered yelling.

mavroxur

Distinguished

You are aware that they make adapters to do this right? If you want, I can shine some light under that rock you've been under.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119395&name=Adapters-Gender-Changers

Takes VGA in, putputs HDMI

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0U008M6395&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

Takes HDMI in, outputs VGA and L/R analog audio.

These are just two examples of thousands of adapters that do it. And while there's some companies selling $5 cables that don't work, the adapters that do work are active (require power, either from USB or an AC adapter) and do actual Analog -> digital conversion.

The more you know!

mavroxur

Distinguished
On Windows 7, press the "Detect" button, and it'll show the second output on your laptop, and will probably show "another display not detected". Select the "Another display not detected" box. Down below, select "Try to connect anyway on : VGA" under "Multiple Displays". Apply settings. That will force the laptop to output secondary video even if it can't detect the secondary monitor. Try that and get back to us.

roni_1

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017