GW FX-4710 UB003a Help!!

rayj00

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Well, it finally happened. I was so proud of Vista. No problems for 4 years! Not even a blue screen.
And believe me I have installed tons of software.

Now, I cannot get into windows or recover from the installed recovery method. I do not have a recovery disk, so if someone has one they can duplicate and ship me I will pay! I don't think Gateway carries them anymore.

Right now I am installing WinXP. I think it's 32 bit. My next move would be Win 7 Pro. I'd rather have the
recovery Vista disk with all the drivers there.

Thanks,

Ray

rayj00

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
I could not get the installed recovery to work. I could not boot into safe mode or any other mode. I have a backup disk I created back in 2009. It would not work either!

After power up, the Numlock key comes on and 3 lights on the keyboard come on momentarily and go out.
I am not in front of the box so I don't know the names of the led's.

After the Gateway splash screen, it blue screens. I've noticed a couple different blue screen reasons.

Funny but I started noticing what might have been an issue a couple months ago, right after a Patch Tuesday.
I leave my computer on all the time. After one Tuesday, my desktop was gone, screen black. I have to powercycle
to get back up. Once up all was ok for awhile then my screen would all of the sudden go black! The only
way to get back was a power cycle. This phenomena kept happening.

Now this problem....after patch Tuesday again. I am beginning to think that M$ has introduced something to
make Vista users upgrade!!!

Anyway, I am installing Windows XP. Getting the proper drivers is going to be a beotch! I will eventually
purchase Windows 7 and install it soon as I find a decent price for it.

Ray

rayj00

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
I received email about two replies but I only see one?

Anyway, I think there is a hardware problem. I tried to install 3 different OS's and they all fail and Blue screen. Even Ubuntu fails!!

I would suspect the PSU as the first culprit. If you have a spare PSU (some people do), try booting with that. There are a number of things that can feasibly go wrong after patches from, improperly updated drivers to hardware failures (not often). You can have a local shop test your PSU for you (if you cannot do it yourself).

hpm1968

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

Wow! I'm surprised that a Gateway and Vista could co-exist for that long. I've read many articles about Gateway computers blue-screening right out of the box with Vista as the OS.

But I've got to agree with C12....the fact that it was just going black to now with the BSOD indicates a slow, steady failure of a major component, most likely the PSU. And for Pete's sake, run Vista through the shredder ASAP. :D

rayj00

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012

Well, I'm one of those rare cases I guess. I can really say I had no ill feelings toward Vista. I hadn't checked it, but
I imagine my registry was gigs in size with all the software I had installed.

I guess I'll pop the box open and see what kind of PSA I need.

Thanks,

Ray

Latest posts