Should we buy a Dell?

Hi

we're trying to decide what kind of new computer to get. Looking at
Dell stuff.

basically we need a pretty hi end machine. We do graphic design ,very
very large photoshop files, sometimes 2 gigs in size, and we also do
small bits of video editing, mostly camcorder and VHS footage that
needs to be brought into the machine, converted to digital mpg, edited
and archived onto DVD.

We're looking at machines with a very fast processor, 2 gigs of RAM, a
couple of 7200rpm hard drives, and probly a 256mb video card.

We've priced a few custom boxes at Dell and seem to end up around the
2500 dollar range.

Anybody else have any suggestions for us to think about? Recently we
went to a local custom machine builder and had a terrible experience.
fortunately we got a complete refund.. that part wasnt so terrible.

Mike

Splendid

Hello,
I just bought a PC through Dell for a similar application as yours. I
purchased a Precision Workstation 470 for $2,800.00. Here are some specs.
from what I have:
Dual Intel Xeon 2.8ghz
2gig ram
250gb serial hdd
48X cdrw
16X dvd +/- rw
256mb nVidia graphics card with dual DVI and VGA

I chose not to have Dell add a firewire card because I have one already. I
have had no problems with Dell's system. Easy to purchase and easy to set
up!!

Also look at www.buympc.com

"PeeVee_Hermann" <PVnospamapplejack@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hi
>

> we're trying to decide what kind of new computer to get. Looking at
> Dell stuff.
>
> basically we need a pretty hi end machine. We do graphic design ,very
> very large photoshop files, sometimes 2 gigs in size, and we also do
> small bits of video editing, mostly camcorder and VHS footage that
> needs to be brought into the machine, converted to digital mpg, edited
> and archived onto DVD.
>
> We're looking at machines with a very fast processor, 2 gigs of RAM, a
> couple of 7200rpm hard drives, and probly a 256mb video card.
>
> We've priced a few custom boxes at Dell and seem to end up around the
> 2500 dollar range.
>
> Anybody else have any suggestions for us to think about? Recently we
> went to a local custom machine builder and had a terrible experience.
> fortunately we got a complete refund.. that part wasnt so terrible.

No. Build your own. I put together system that does exactly what you want
to do. It's rock solid. Built around an Asus C800-E Deluxe motherboard
(has onboard RAID). MB/Memory/Video compatibility is the key. Put a top of
the line video card in there, lots of memory, shadowed Raptors for system
drive. Nice big Antec case with TruePower PS. Packed to the hilt. And no
idiots in India to deal with either...

The local shop must have been run by idiots cuz this isn't rocket science!

PeeVee_Hermann wrote:

> Hi
>

> we're trying to decide what kind of new computer to get. Looking at
> Dell stuff.
>
> basically we need a pretty hi end machine. We do graphic design ,very
> very large photoshop files, sometimes 2 gigs in size, and we also do
> small bits of video editing, mostly camcorder and VHS footage that
> needs to be brought into the machine, converted to digital mpg, edited
> and archived onto DVD.
>
> We're looking at machines with a very fast processor, 2 gigs of RAM, a
> couple of 7200rpm hard drives, and probly a 256mb video card.
>
> We've priced a few custom boxes at Dell and seem to end up around the
> 2500 dollar range.
>
> Anybody else have any suggestions for us to think about? Recently we
> went to a local custom machine builder and had a terrible experience.
> fortunately we got a complete refund.. that part wasnt so terrible.

For your situation, I'd be looking into workstation class machines like
the Dell Precision line. Most workstation class machines from the major
OEM's will be fine for your situation. Out of curiosity, what did the
local computer shop do to mess things up so badly?

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 20:28:07 GMT, Nicholas Andrade
<sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

>PeeVee_Hermann wrote:
>

>> Hi
>>

>> we're trying to decide what kind of new computer to get. Looking at
>> Dell stuff.
>>
>> basically we need a pretty hi end machine. We do graphic design ,very
>> very large photoshop files, sometimes 2 gigs in size, and we also do
>> small bits of video editing, mostly camcorder and VHS footage that
>> needs to be brought into the machine, converted to digital mpg, edited
>> and archived onto DVD.
>>
>> We're looking at machines with a very fast processor, 2 gigs of RAM, a
>> couple of 7200rpm hard drives, and probly a 256mb video card.
>>
>> We've priced a few custom boxes at Dell and seem to end up around the
>> 2500 dollar range.
>>
>> Anybody else have any suggestions for us to think about? Recently we
>> went to a local custom machine builder and had a terrible experience.
>> fortunately we got a complete refund.. that part wasnt so terrible.
>>

>For your situation, I'd be looking into workstation class machines like
>the Dell Precision line. Most workstation class machines from the major
>OEM's will be fine for your situation.

I didnt see those on their online webstore. I'll look again.

Out of curiosity, what did the
>local computer shop do to mess things up so badly?

error messages right out of the box, tech support blamed ME even tho i
hadnt done anything but turn the damn thing on. Even worse, with a 250
gig drive, they had partitioned HALF of it off, thats right, 125gig
partition, to use something called ReStoreIt, which was their
definition of tech support. I said, what if i take that off, thats too
much drive space used up, then they said, " then you cant get anymore
tech support". then I said, that doesnt seem like much tech support,
if all you are ever going to tell me is to reset the pooter to
original factory condition using the ReStoreIt. The guy then said, we
arent a software company, we are a hardware company.

that was all i needed to hear.

For your stated purposes, a machine based upon the AMD64 processor would be
much better. Unfortunately, Dell is currently the only mainstream OEM not
building units around the AMD64 processor.

Bobby

"Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> PeeVee_Hermann wrote:
>

>> Hi
>>

>> we're trying to decide what kind of new computer to get. Looking at
>> Dell stuff. basically we need a pretty hi end machine. We do graphic
>> design ,very
>> very large photoshop files, sometimes 2 gigs in size, and we also do
>> small bits of video editing, mostly camcorder and VHS footage that
>> needs to be brought into the machine, converted to digital mpg, edited
>> and archived onto DVD.
>>
>> We're looking at machines with a very fast processor, 2 gigs of RAM, a
>> couple of 7200rpm hard drives, and probly a 256mb video card.
>>
>> We've priced a few custom boxes at Dell and seem to end up around the
>> 2500 dollar range.
>>
>> Anybody else have any suggestions for us to think about? Recently we
>> went to a local custom machine builder and had a terrible experience.
>> fortunately we got a complete refund.. that part wasnt so terrible.
>>

> For your situation, I'd be looking into workstation class machines like
> the Dell Precision line. Most workstation class machines from the major
> OEM's will be fine for your situation. Out of curiosity, what did the
> local computer shop do to mess things up so badly?

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 16:49:14 -0500, "Cathy De Viney"
<NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote:

>Also look at www.buympc.com

total price for them was $3,324.00

Dell did the same pretty much.

this is completely insane.

I could buy all these parts for 1500 and have a friend put it
together. And he's probably better tech support than any of these
companies.

Of course if he does something wrong, i cant take it back to him and
say, "money back refund please"

PeeVee_Hermann wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 16:49:14 -0500, "Cathy De Viney"
> <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote:
>
> >Also look at www.buympc.com
>
> total price for them was $3,324.00
>
> Dell did the same pretty much.
>
> this is completely insane.
>
> I could buy all these parts for 1500 and have a friend put it
> together. And he's probably better tech support than any of these
> companies.
>
> Of course if he does something wrong, i cant take it back to him and
> say, "money back refund please"

I don't know... Having a friend build/support a PC might be like
buying a used car from a relative... Things are good as long as
things are good! <g>

Notan

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 08:21:40 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>PeeVee_Hermann wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 16:49:14 -0500, "Cathy De Viney"
>> <NOSPAM.ccdeviney@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Also look at www.buympc.com
>>
>> total price for them was $3,324.00
>>
>> Dell did the same pretty much.
>>
>> this is completely insane.
>>
>> I could buy all these parts for 1500 and have a friend put it
>> together. And he's probably better tech support than any of these
>> companies.
>>
>> Of course if he does something wrong, i cant take it back to him and
>> say, "money back refund please"
>
>I don't know... Having a friend build/support a PC might be like
>buying a used car from a relative... Things are good as long as
>things are good! <g>
>
>Notan

LOL! I know it. Have considered that. Still not sure of what to do.

Went to Fry electronics and priced everything. Came to more than i
wanted, about $1850.

the Dell machine i spec'd online, came to about 2500.

I'm not sure if Dell tech support is worth at least 500.00

I'd be shocked if he could build the exact same machine for less than half
price.

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 14:59:01 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>I'd be shocked if he could build the exact same machine for less than half
>price.

You are right, it probly cannot be done.

> On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 08:21:40 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>
>>PeeVee_Hermann wrote:

>>> total price for them was $3,324.00
>>>
>>> Dell did the same pretty much.
>>>
>>> this is completely insane.
>>>
>>> I could buy all these parts for 1500 and have a friend put it
>>> together. And he's probably better tech support than any of these
>>> companies.
>>>
>>> Of course if he does something wrong, i cant take it back to him and
>>> say, "money back refund please"
>>
>>I don't know... Having a friend build/support a PC might be like
>>buying a used car from a relative... Things are good as long as
>>things are good! <g>
>>
>>Notan
>

> LOL! I know it. Have considered that. Still not sure of what to do.
>
> Went to Fry electronics and priced everything. Came to more than i
> wanted, about $1850.
>
> the Dell machine i spec'd online, came to about 2500.
>
> I'm not sure if Dell tech support is worth at least 500.00

LOL!

It's not the same machine. Be sure to match it as identically as possible
including the cost of the OS and bundles.

LOL! LOL!

ME

>Hello,
>I just bought a PC through Dell for a similar application as yours. I
>purchased a Precision Workstation 470 for $2,800.00. Here are some specs.
>from what I have:
>Dual Intel Xeon 2.8ghz
>2gig ram
>250gb serial hdd
>48X cdrw
>16X dvd +/- rw
>256mb nVidia graphics card with dual DVI and VGA

Im curious what you are doing with above machine?

<snip>

Dell outlet outlet.dell.com

Dimension 8400
P4-3.2
Dual 250GB drive
XP Home
2GB Ram
ATI X300SE
16X DVD+-RW
16X DVD
$1134

Dimension 8400
P4-3.4
Dual 400GB drives (RAID)
Windows XP Pro
4 GB Ram (yes, 4)
256MB nVidia 6800 GTO
CD-RW
DVD+RW
Office Small Business 2003

$2859

do a lot of configuring of new dell systems before jumping for a refurb.
most times dell outlet systems aren't much of a bargain. when dell is
pushing big to sell with freebies and discounts on new systems sometimes the
refurbs are actually more than new.

ZupaDupa wrote:
> No. Build your own. I put together system that does exactly what you want
> to do. It's rock solid. Built around an Asus C800-E Deluxe motherboard
> (has onboard RAID). MB/Memory/Video compatibility is the key. Put a top of
> the line video card in there, lots of memory, shadowed Raptors for system
> drive. Nice big Antec case with TruePower PS. Packed to the hilt. And no
> idiots in India to deal with either...

Any possibility you could price out such a configuration, sport?

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 15:14:23 -0400, PeeVee_Hermann
<PVnospamapplejack@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi
>

>we're trying to decide what kind of new computer to get. Looking at
>Dell stuff.
>
>basically we need a pretty hi end machine. We do graphic design ,very
>very large photoshop files, sometimes 2 gigs in size, and we also do
>small bits of video editing, mostly camcorder and VHS footage that
>needs to be brought into the machine, converted to digital mpg, edited
>and archived onto DVD.
>
>We're looking at machines with a very fast processor, 2 gigs of RAM, a
>couple of 7200rpm hard drives, and probly a 256mb video card.
>
>We've priced a few custom boxes at Dell and seem to end up around the
>2500 dollar range.

I use a 2.6 Ghz Dell Dimension 8400 desktop pc with two internal hard
drives and hooked up thru a firewire hub to several external hard
drives and it works great for video editing (Premiere Pro) and DVD
authoring (Adobe Encore) , and graphic design using Photoshop and
Quark Express.

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 16:03:38 -0400, Jim Gunn <Jim_Gunn@Yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 15:14:23 -0400, PeeVee_Hermann
><PVnospamapplejack@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>

>>we're trying to decide what kind of new computer to get. Looking at
>>Dell stuff.
>>
>>basically we need a pretty hi end machine. We do graphic design ,very
>>very large photoshop files, sometimes 2 gigs in size, and we also do
>>small bits of video editing, mostly camcorder and VHS footage that
>>needs to be brought into the machine, converted to digital mpg, edited
>>and archived onto DVD.
>>
>>We're looking at machines with a very fast processor, 2 gigs of RAM, a
>>couple of 7200rpm hard drives, and probly a 256mb video card.
>>
>>We've priced a few custom boxes at Dell and seem to end up around the
>>2500 dollar range.
>>

>I use a 2.6 Ghz Dell Dimension 8400 desktop pc with two internal hard
>drives and hooked up thru a firewire hub to several external hard
>drives and it works great for video editing (Premiere Pro) and DVD
>authoring (Adobe Encore) , and graphic design using Photoshop and
>Quark Express.

Tell me a little more about this. How big and how fast were the
external hard drives? Did you work off the external hard drives, or
use them to store files only?

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:12:23 -0400, PeeVee_Hermann
<PVnospamapplejack@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Tell me a little more about this. How big and how fast were the
>external hard drives? Did you work off the external hard drives, or
>use them to store files only?

I have three 200Gb 7200 rpm Maxtor One Touch external hard drives, and
two 250 Gb 7200 rpm Maxtor One Touch external hard drives, all hooked
up thru a Sandisk firewire hub that connects to one of the computer's
firewire port. These hard drives hold all my video files and project
files and misc. files (images, music etc) that I edit with in Premiere
Pro. Yes, I work off of the hard drives, and I get great real time
playback on my computer monitor and/or my tv that is connected with
rca cables to my Sony DSR-11 mini-DV /DVCam deck, which in turn
connects to another firewire port on the desktop. . (I also have a
120 Gb 7200 internal hard drive that I use for video in addition to
the 120 Gb internal h.d. that has Windows installed on it)

Works great for me!

TRENDING THREADS