Looking for a specific feature in unzipping utility.

cacophony

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005

Hello,

I need a program that uncompresses .zip and .rar files while allowing
me to unzip the file(s) with the same name(s) as the file it was
compressed into.

Example: A file called elephant.zip contains a file called
underscore.doc. I can choose to unzip the underscore.doc file into
elephant.doc instead.

If this feature exists, it would help me a lot.

R.click the zipped folder/file,then select extract all.

Andrew E. wrote:
> R.click the zipped folder/file,then select extract all.

Well, that won't work. If the orginal file's name is different from the
zipped file's name then it will extract into the original file's name.

Unzip it and then rename it?

If you could find a program to do what you ask, it would only work on a
single file that is zipped. Why? Because if you unzip multiple files as the
name of the parent zip file that held them, they will overwrite each other.
The last one unzipped would be the only file to survive the process.

Gregg Hill

<cacophony@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I need a program that uncompresses .zip and .rar files while allowing
> me to unzip the file(s) with the same name(s) as the file it was
> compressed into.
>
> Example: A file called elephant.zip contains a file called
> underscore.doc. I can choose to unzip the underscore.doc file into
> elephant.doc instead.
>
> If this feature exists, it would help me a lot.

cacophony

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005

I figured something like that would function like a batch renamer
program. When I batch-rename files I set the program to append a number
to the end of the file name and to increment by 1 for every file.

cacophony

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005

Gregg Hill wrote:
> Unzip it and then rename it?

Oh, and this would be too tedious for hundreds of compressed files.
This is precisely why I'd prefer a program to do it for me.

Regarding your original post, I was thinking of a typical zipped file that
has a bunch of differently-named files in it and could not understand why
you would want to change all those names to be the same as the parent zip
file (which would not work anyway, since you did not mention the part about
adding a sequential number to the file name in your original post).

Perhaps if you gave more information as to the purpose of naming hundreds of
files with the same name, but with a numbered ending to the name, it might
be easier for my wee brain to comprehend.