The usb keyboard does not work on bootup

The usb keyboard does not work on bootup as i can not get into System Config
by
hitting F2 .
Is there a way to fix this and if so how
Thankx Bigb609
4 answers Last reply
More about keyboard work bootup

    Use a PS2 keyboard or a USB to PS2 adapter.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner
    "If you knew as much as you think you know,

    "Bigb609" <Bigb609@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The usb keyboard does not work on bootup as i can not get into System
    > Config
    > by
    > hitting F2 .
    > Is there a way to fix this and if so how
    > Thankx Bigb609

    is therte really no way to make this work. understandably, the pc expects
    to find some basic components on the post. the keyboard and mouse are
    important. it expects to find the ps2 keyboard. but what i do not understand
    is how i was able to use my usb mouse, with no problems at all, on a fresh
    load and new system i built.
    the best option is to buy old equiptment...?

    i have heard in discussion of flash memory, that microsoft will not allow
    usb devices to boot as a primary drive (in other words, if i have a 4 gig
    flash drive loaded with windows os, i cannot use it to boot as a hard drive)
    is this the limitation that also prevents the detection of usb input
    devices?

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

    > Use a PS2 keyboard or a USB to PS2 adapter.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    > "If you knew as much as you think you know,
    >
    > "Bigb609" <Bigb609@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > The usb keyboard does not work on bootup as i can not get into System
    > > Config
    > > by
    > > hitting F2 .
    > > Is there a way to fix this and if so how
    > > Thankx Bigb609

    You only need to use the PS/2 keyboard or mouse once (or everytime you reset
    the BIOS). Then you will have to set the BIOS to "Use Legacy USB Suppor"
    or "Use USB keyboard".

    "MrHappy" <baragonia@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > is therte really no way to make this work. understandably, the pc
    > expects
    > to find some basic components on the post. the keyboard and mouse are
    > important. it expects to find the ps2 keyboard. but what i do not
    > understand
    > is how i was able to use my usb mouse, with no problems at all, on a fresh
    > load and new system i built.
    > the best option is to buy old equiptment...?
    >
    > i have heard in discussion of flash memory, that microsoft will not allow
    > usb devices to boot as a primary drive (in other words, if i have a 4 gig
    > flash drive loaded with windows os, i cannot use it to boot as a hard
    > drive)
    > is this the limitation that also prevents the detection of usb input
    > devices?
    >

    > "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Use a PS2 keyboard or a USB to PS2 adapter.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Quote from: George Ankner
    >> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
    >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    >>
    >> "Bigb609" <Bigb609@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > The usb keyboard does not work on bootup as i can not get into System
    >> > Config
    >> > by
    >> > hitting F2 .
    >> > Is there a way to fix this and if so how
    >> > Thankx Bigb609

    Thank you! Saves me from having to state the fact. (-:

    Always keep around a PS2 keyboard/mouse or the necessary adapters for when
    your bios get reset do to inconsistencies. Overclockers especially need
    them!

    --

    > You only need to use the PS/2 keyboard or mouse once (or everytime you
    > reset the BIOS). Then you will have to set the BIOS to "Use Legacy USB
    > Suppor" or "Use USB keyboard".
    >

    > "MrHappy" <baragonia@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> is therte really no way to make this work. understandably, the pc
    >> expects
    >> to find some basic components on the post. the keyboard and mouse are
    >> important. it expects to find the ps2 keyboard. but what i do not
    >> understand
    >> is how i was able to use my usb mouse, with no problems at all, on a
    >> fresh
    >> load and new system i built.
    >> the best option is to buy old equiptment...?
    >>
    >> i have heard in discussion of flash memory, that microsoft will not allow
    >> usb devices to boot as a primary drive (in other words, if i have a 4 gig
    >> flash drive loaded with windows os, i cannot use it to boot as a hard
    >> drive)
    >> is this the limitation that also prevents the detection of usb input
    >> devices?
    >>

    >> "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Use a PS2 keyboard or a USB to PS2 adapter.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Richard Urban
    >>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> Quote from: George Ankner
    >>> "If you knew as much as you think you know,
    >>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    >>>
    >>> "Bigb609" <Bigb609@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Keyboards Microsoft USB Windows XP