Spray Paint the chrome legs?

Last response: in Video Games
June 28, 2005 4:15:45 PM

I have chrome legs that I want to paint black for my STTNG. Anyone did
this and how does it look? I plan to use Krylon black gloss. Thanks
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 4:23:55 PM

I have painted legs and they look good if done right but they will
scratch easily. For less than $50 you can obtain a new set of painted
ones.If you have a good quality machine, go for the real painted legs
and you won't be sorry you wasted your time and money.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 4:26:02 PM

If you are going to paint chrome make sure you sand blast them first.
If you don't the paint will scratch off very easy. You may want to go
with a wrinkle black. It looks like factory.
Bill
June 28, 2005 4:29:18 PM

Might want to think about purchasing new ones :)

I suspect, to do it right, the chrome would need to be sandblasted
off....or at least really roughed-up.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 4:34:09 PM

I was kinda suspecting that, thats why I asked here first before doing
it. My chrome legs are still damn new. It is a waste to change them.
It doens't look so bad in chrome I guess.
June 28, 2005 4:37:13 PM

I bought some black ones for my STTNG a couple of years ago. (I ended
up putting them on my T*Z instead.) They look awesome! They are much
nicer than if I had painted them myself. For the price; I'd go with a
new set.

John
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 4:41:12 PM

Save they "like new" chrome legs for another machine or sell them to a
friend. Do the job right the first time, and buy black legs, they will
look like original ones
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 5:08:08 PM

After you buy new black legs, sell your chrome ones. If they're
practically new, you'll get a good price.

This will offset the cost of the new legs plus save you time.

Dave
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 6:17:04 PM

Sure, I paint them all the time. I prefer to
bead blast them first, and try to use legs that
are less than perfect. The paint will stick better
on them.

Many different types of paint for this, but I've
found the Rustoleum "Hard Hat" to do a pretty fair
job for a gloss finish.

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8