woody

I have Win 2000 on a pc and just had to reinstall it. My Win 98 boot disk
wouldn't format it so I used my XP disk to format the NTFS partition.
I want to copy the format from my XP CD to a floppy so I can use it if I
need to format a NTFS partition. What is the easiest way to do this?
Thanks

this program will format,partition and fit on a floppy
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

peterk

"woody" <woody@owlnet.com> wrote in message
>I have Win 2000 on a pc and just had to reinstall it. My Win 98 boot disk
> wouldn't format it so I used my XP disk to format the NTFS partition.
> I want to copy the format from my XP CD to a floppy so I can use it if I
> need to format a NTFS partition. What is the easiest way to do this?
> Thanks

Win98 Fdisk did not format your computer? Now that is hard to believe. I always use the Fdisk to wipe all my drives clean before installing Win2K and Win3K

--
Peter

"woody" <woody@owlnet.com> wrote in message news:Xns96B1C323073E9123456@216.168.3.44...
>I have Win 2000 on a pc and just had to reinstall it. My Win 98 boot disk
> wouldn't format it so I used my XP disk to format the NTFS partition.
> I want to copy the format from my XP CD to a floppy so I can use it if I
> need to format a NTFS partition. What is the easiest way to do this?
> Thanks

Malke

Peter Foldes wrote:

> Win98 Fdisk did not format your computer? Now that is hard to believe.
> I always use the Fdisk to wipe all my drives clean before installing
> Win2K and Win3K

No, you're thinking of the Win98 boot disk which usually has Fdisk on
it, the DOS system files of course, and Format. Fdisk is the
partitioner. Format is... the formatter. :)

You would use Fdisk to delete and create your partitions and then exit
Fdisk to run Format.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

"woody" <woody@owlnet.com> wrote in message
>I have Win 2000 on a pc and just had to reinstall it. My Win 98 boot disk
> wouldn't format it so I used my XP disk to format the NTFS partition.
> I want to copy the format from my XP CD to a floppy so I can use it if I
> need to format a NTFS partition. What is the easiest way to do this?
> Thanks

You can't put the format function of XP on a floppy. You've already done it
from the XP cd so why would you need a floppy? The floppy needs an OS on it
and you sure can't fit XP on it.

tango

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2001

"Randy" <nospam@wowspam.com> wrote in

> "woody" <woody@owlnet.com> wrote in message
>>I have Win 2000 on a pc and just had to reinstall it. My Win 98 boot
>>disk
>> wouldn't format it so I used my XP disk to format the NTFS partition.
>> I want to copy the format from my XP CD to a floppy so I can use it
>> if I need to format a NTFS partition. What is the easiest way to do
>> this?
>> Thanks
>
> You can't put the format function of XP on a floppy. You've already
> done it from the XP cd so why would you need a floppy? The floppy
> needs an OS on it and you sure can't fit XP on it.

Good Point, I forgot win 98 bootdisk has dos on it.

"woody" <woody@owlnet.com> wrote in message
>I have Win 2000 on a pc and just had to reinstall it. My Win 98 boot disk
> wouldn't format it so I used my XP disk to format the NTFS partition.
> I want to copy the format from my XP CD to a floppy so I can use it if I
> need to format a NTFS partition. What is the easiest way to do this?
> Thanks

www.langa.com

You may be interested in item 1 of the Newsletter of 2005-08-11

Don

A better explanation and thank you. I always used the Win98 Fdisk option to reformat. I know that I can also use myW2K3 when I want to reformat the server OS but I like the Fdisk of 98 much better.. Now do not ask me why I just do. <s>

--
Peter

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message news:Owx9t8HoFHA.3552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Peter Foldes wrote:
>
>> Win98 Fdisk did not format your computer? Now that is hard to believe.
>> I always use the Fdisk to wipe all my drives clean before installing
>> Win2K and Win3K
>>

> No, you're thinking of the Win98 boot disk which usually has Fdisk on
> it, the DOS system files of course, and Format. Fdisk is the
> partitioner. Format is... the formatter. :)
>
> You would use Fdisk to delete and create your partitions and then exit
> Fdisk to run Format.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

woody

"Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Win98 Fdisk did not format your computer? Now that is hard to believe.
> I always use the Fdisk to wipe all my drives clean before installing
> Win2K and Win3K

I should have stated for highly skilled experts like you that it would not
format in NTFS.