Solo 5300 dead

jw

I have a PIII 650 solo, 14" LCD, 6 gb hd, 64 meg. ram. It just died
one day. The only activity is the green power light at the lid latch
is lit when the power supply is plugged in. I don't think it even
charges the battery.
A place on ebay has the DC power board for this laptop for $50 or so
and claim that this will solve 90% of dead Solo problems. I did pull
the DC board out and resocketed but no change.
Can this board be tested in some way? So if it isn't this board, then
the whole motherboard would be next? Thanks for any help.

Unfortunately, short of having electronics-test equipent, parts swapping is
all you can do.

<JW> wrote in message news:v5ra51dfdnbepnr1gqnumsi2tvo9gh9t9c@4ax.com...
> I have a PIII 650 solo, 14" LCD, 6 gb hd, 64 meg. ram. It just died
> one day. The only activity is the green power light at the lid latch
> is lit when the power supply is plugged in. I don't think it even
> charges the battery.
> A place on ebay has the DC power board for this laptop for $50 or so
> and claim that this will solve 90% of dead Solo problems. I did pull
> the DC board out and resocketed but no change.
> Can this board be tested in some way? So if it isn't this board, then
> the whole motherboard would be next? Thanks for any help.

Edward is right, I'd suggest one at a time taking out parts and booting.
Modem, CD ROM, anything in the PCMCIA ports, etc. For processor and memory,
you will have to actually swap known good parts to see it it boots.

Michael
<JW> wrote in message news:v5ra51dfdnbepnr1gqnumsi2tvo9gh9t9c@4ax.com...
>I have a PIII 650 solo, 14" LCD, 6 gb hd, 64 meg. ram. It just died
> one day. The only activity is the green power light at the lid latch
> is lit when the power supply is plugged in. I don't think it even
> charges the battery.
> A place on ebay has the DC power board for this laptop for $50 or so
> and claim that this will solve 90% of dead Solo problems. I did pull
> the DC board out and resocketed but no change.
> Can this board be tested in some way? So if it isn't this board, then
> the whole motherboard would be next? Thanks for any help.

FYI Gateway charges a flat $300 for fixing this stuff. My 9300 exhibited
similar problems last year. Turned out to be several parts - or so they
said. On the plus side, they repair and return stuff really fast (they also
fixed a problem with one of my memory slots and, without my asking, replaced
several keys that had flaked off letters.) I've had mine in twice for
different power problems over the years. Of course, laptops are getting so
cheap, one has to wonder whether it's even worth $300 to repair anything.

Anyway, good luck
--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.
<JW> wrote in message news:v5ra51dfdnbepnr1gqnumsi2tvo9gh9t9c@4ax.com...
> I have a PIII 650 solo, 14" LCD, 6 gb hd, 64 meg. ram. It just died
> one day. The only activity is the green power light at the lid latch
> is lit when the power supply is plugged in. I don't think it even
> charges the battery.
> A place on ebay has the DC power board for this laptop for $50 or so
> and claim that this will solve 90% of dead Solo problems. I did pull
> the DC board out and resocketed but no change.
> Can this board be tested in some way? So if it isn't this board, then
> the whole motherboard would be next? Thanks for any help.

TRENDING THREADS