IE can't load some pages

August 14, 2005 5:55:54 AM

Hello.

I've created a new user account for my other half and it all works fine
EXCEPT for the fact that any URL which doesn't end in '.htm' or '.html'
won't load in IE6.

For instance:

www.bbc.co.uk loads fine

www.bbc.co.uk/news won't load

www.thurrock.gov.uk loads fine

www.thurrock.gov.uk/education won't load

I also have the google toolbar and none of the buttons seem to do anything
(but I think this is related to my first problem).

On my own account, everything works perfectly.

I've tried as much as I can without ANY success (checking for viruses,
spyware, many settings etc.). Any help will be gratefully received.

Daryl

More about : load pages

August 14, 2005 6:09:33 AM

"Daryl" <darylbarberNOSPAMPLEASE@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> www.thurrock.gov.uk/education won't load

Hmm, it does if I click on a link from within the site!

Also, if I go to www.google.co.uk and then I click on one of the links to
take me to another area of Google (images, news etc) nothing happens (except
for the clicking noise which I will remove when I have it all working
properly).

Daryl
August 14, 2005 3:02:00 PM

>> www.thurrock.gov.uk/education won't load
>
> Hmm, it does if I click on a link from within the site!
>
> Also, if I go to www.google.co.uk and then I click on one of the links to
> take me to another area of Google (images, news etc) nothing happens
> (except for the clicking noise which I will remove when I have it all
> working properly).
>
> Daryl

Still no luck - I've been tinkering away for hours to no avail. Everything
still works fine in my account but some pages are simply inaccessible in the
new account. I've noticed that it is the same in the 'guest' account also
(which has been up and running but not used much for a year or so).

It's not like I get taken to a blank page or anything, I simply hear a click
but nothing at all happens when I try to access certain pages. Sometimes
pages will load from links but not from the address bar, sometimes I can't
visit links.

Please help - it's driving me crazy!

Thanks,

Daryl
Related resources
August 15, 2005 1:00:56 AM

The latest... still not working. It's always the same pages which won't
load. I've tried accessing the net via dial up networking - still the same
pages won't load. I've uninstalled Microsoft AntiSpyware. No good.

Still working fine in my profile... how can this be?

Daryl
August 15, 2005 1:00:57 AM

What type of firewall/antivirus do you use? And have you investigated the
security settings of the browser?

--

Cheers,
Tinkerer

"Daryl" <darylbarberNOSPAMPLEASE@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:o Vf6lrQoFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
The latest... still not working. It's always the same pages which won't
load. I've tried accessing the net via dial up networking - still the same
pages won't load. I've uninstalled Microsoft AntiSpyware. No good.

Still working fine in my profile... how can this be?

Daryl
August 15, 2005 3:23:56 AM

"Tinkerer" <me@myhouse.com> wrote in message
> What type of firewall/antivirus do you use? And have you investigated the
> security settings of the browser?

I use Kerio Firewall which I have tried to disable with no success (I had
success disabling it but it didn't help). I use AVG antivirus which I also
disabled to no avail. My router also has a firewall built in so I connected
via dialup - IE still refuses to load certain sites. It's really odd - the
connection is still there and the pages which DO load, load quickly and
correctly.

I've tinkered (sorry to abuse your username!!!) with the security settings
(resetting them to the default). Still no luck.

Even my google toolbar won't search (or take me to the google homepage).
I've also tried uninstalling/reinstalling this without success.

I've done some serious searching of newsgroups and found lots of messages
about people being unable to open browser windows in a new account with SP2
and just two or three people with my problem who didn't get replies or ended
up starting their XP installations from scratch. I suppose that is a
possibility for me but it will take weeks to get my PC back to its current
configuration, time I don't have as I'm about to move house (hence the new
user account for my girlfriend).

Any more ideas will be gratefully received!

Thanks,

Daryl
August 15, 2005 3:23:57 AM

Have you tried flushing the dns cache? Open a command window and type in
"ipconfig /flushdns" without the quotes.

--

Cheers,
Tinkerer

!