Cirqus Voltaire with Shadow security chip ????

Recently I bought a Cirqus Voltaire (with 2.0H gamerom) and while
checking inside the backbox I noticed it has a security chip from the
Shadow in it.
It's not a misprint on the sticker since the numbers on it match with
the numbers on booy up.

I thought this was impossible, and the security chip must match the
gamerom.

What could this be?

Maybe the CPU brd is from a shadow but still, with a CV gamerom in it,
it's not supposed to boot without an U22 error. But mine does.
7 answers Last reply
More about cirqus voltaire shadow security chip

    Because largely of the fuss i made about the security PIC chip
    back a few years ago, a friend wrote a program that will alter
    the game ROM code to use any security PIC. Just run the program
    on your ROM code, and it changes the code and writes it out
    to a new ROM file. Burn it to a new EPROM, and you can use a
    CV game ROM with a Medieval PIC (for example). For example I
    am using a WCS security PIC in my Medieval. This became a moot
    point when the EwePIC chip became available, and most people
    forgot that the program exists. Unfortunately because the PIC
    chip is integral to the switch matrix, the chip can not be
    eliminated.

    Oscar van Driel wrote:
    > Recently I bought a Cirqus Voltaire (with 2.0H gamerom) and while
    > checking inside the backbox I noticed it has a security chip from the
    > Shadow in it.
    > It's not a misprint on the sticker since the numbers on it match with
    > the numbers on booy up.
    >
    > I thought this was impossible, and the security chip must match the
    > gamerom.
    >
    > What could this be?
    >
    > Maybe the CPU brd is from a shadow but still, with a CV gamerom in it,
    > it's not supposed to boot without an U22 error. But mine does.

    May be something to do with the 2.0H game rom- maybe it bypasses the U22
    chip?

    Just a guess...

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA

    "Oscar van Driel" <mailREMOVETHIS@oscarvandriel.nl> wrote in message
    > Recently I bought a Cirqus Voltaire (with 2.0H gamerom) and while
    > checking inside the backbox I noticed it has a security chip from the
    > Shadow in it.
    > It's not a misprint on the sticker since the numbers on it match with
    > the numbers on booy up.
    >
    > I thought this was impossible, and the security chip must match the
    > gamerom.
    >
    > What could this be?
    >
    > Maybe the CPU brd is from a shadow but still, with a CV gamerom in it,
    > it's not supposed to boot without an U22 error. But mine does.

    only logical answer i can come up with, too.

    if it does, maybe some smart guy could compare the roms in CV and find out
    where the bypass is and change other roms to work "around" the security
    chip.
    Dan

    "Ray Johnson - Action Pinball" <staff@actionpinball.com> wrote in message
    > May be something to do with the 2.0H game rom- maybe it bypasses the U22
    > chip?
    >
    > Just a guess...
    >
    > Ray J.
    > --
    > Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    > Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    > Web: www.actionpinball.com
    >
    > We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!
    >

    > "Oscar van Driel" <mailREMOVETHIS@oscarvandriel.nl> wrote in message
    > > Recently I bought a Cirqus Voltaire (with 2.0H gamerom) and while
    > > checking inside the backbox I noticed it has a security chip from the
    > > Shadow in it.
    > > It's not a misprint on the sticker since the numbers on it match with
    > > the numbers on booy up.
    > >
    > > I thought this was impossible, and the security chip must match the
    > > gamerom.
    > >
    > > What could this be?
    > >
    > > Maybe the CPU brd is from a shadow but still, with a CV gamerom in it,
    > > it's not supposed to boot without an U22 error. But mine does.

    Can we download this program anywhere??

    Woz

    <cfh@provide.net> wrote in message
    > Because largely of the fuss i made about the security PIC chip
    > back a few years ago, a friend wrote a program that will alter
    > the game ROM code to use any security PIC. Just run the program
    > on your ROM code, and it changes the code and writes it out
    > to a new ROM file. Burn it to a new EPROM, and you can use a
    > CV game ROM with a Medieval PIC (for example). For example I
    > am using a WCS security PIC in my Medieval. This became a moot
    > point when the EwePIC chip became available, and most people
    > forgot that the program exists. Unfortunately because the PIC
    > chip is integral to the switch matrix, the chip can not be
    > eliminated.
    >
    > Oscar van Driel wrote:
    > > Recently I bought a Cirqus Voltaire (with 2.0H gamerom) and while
    > > checking inside the backbox I noticed it has a security chip from the
    > > Shadow in it.
    > > It's not a misprint on the sticker since the numbers on it match with
    > > the numbers on booy up.
    > >
    > > I thought this was impossible, and the security chip must match the
    > > gamerom.
    > >
    > > What could this be?
    > >
    > > Maybe the CPU brd is from a shadow but still, with a CV gamerom in it,
    > > it's not supposed to boot without an U22 error. But mine does.

    Can you provide a link to its location or provide the program? Thanks.
    Kim Keist

    Newbie question here: What's the purpose of a security chip?

    Probably been covered in the past- long topic- check google for past
    newsgroup articles: www.google.com

    Ray J.

    --

    "PDX_Pinball" <azcats_fan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Newbie question here: What's the purpose of a security chip?

Security Chip Video Games