Cirqus Voltaire with Shadow security chip ????

Last response: in Video Games
a b 8 Security
June 28, 2005 5:43:18 PM

Recently I bought a Cirqus Voltaire (with 2.0H gamerom) and while
checking inside the backbox I noticed it has a security chip from the
Shadow in it.
It's not a misprint on the sticker since the numbers on it match with
the numbers on booy up.

I thought this was impossible, and the security chip must match the
gamerom.

What could this be?

Maybe the CPU brd is from a shadow but still, with a CV gamerom in it,
it's not supposed to boot without an U22 error. But mine does.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 28, 2005 6:26:06 PM

Because largely of the fuss i made about the security PIC chip
back a few years ago, a friend wrote a program that will alter
the game ROM code to use any security PIC. Just run the program
on your ROM code, and it changes the code and writes it out
to a new ROM file. Burn it to a new EPROM, and you can use a
CV game ROM with a Medieval PIC (for example). For example I
am using a WCS security PIC in my Medieval. This became a moot
point when the EwePIC chip became available, and most people
forgot that the program exists. Unfortunately because the PIC
chip is integral to the switch matrix, the chip can not be
eliminated.

Oscar van Driel wrote:
> Recently I bought a Cirqus Voltaire (with 2.0H gamerom) and while
> checking inside the backbox I noticed it has a security chip from the
> Shadow in it.
> It's not a misprint on the sticker since the numbers on it match with
> the numbers on booy up.
>
> I thought this was impossible, and the security chip must match the
> gamerom.
>
> What could this be?
>
> Maybe the CPU brd is from a shadow but still, with a CV gamerom in it,
> it's not supposed to boot without an U22 error. But mine does.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 28, 2005 6:50:42 PM

May be something to do with the 2.0H game rom- maybe it bypasses the U22
chip?

Just a guess...

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

"Oscar van Driel" <mailREMOVETHIS@oscarvandriel.nl> wrote in message
> Recently I bought a Cirqus Voltaire (with 2.0H gamerom) and while
> checking inside the backbox I noticed it has a security chip from the
> Shadow in it.
> It's not a misprint on the sticker since the numbers on it match with
> the numbers on booy up.
>
> I thought this was impossible, and the security chip must match the
> gamerom.
>
> What could this be?
>
> Maybe the CPU brd is from a shadow but still, with a CV gamerom in it,
> it's not supposed to boot without an U22 error. But mine does.
a b 8 Security
June 28, 2005 8:03:01 PM

only logical answer i can come up with, too.

if it does, maybe some smart guy could compare the roms in CV and find out
where the bypass is and change other roms to work "around" the security
chip.
Dan

"Ray Johnson - Action Pinball" <staff@actionpinball.com> wrote in message
> May be something to do with the 2.0H game rom- maybe it bypasses the U22
> chip?
>
> Just a guess...
>
> Ray J.
> --
> Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
> Salt Lake City, Utah USA
> Web: www.actionpinball.com
>
> We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!
>

> "Oscar van Driel" <mailREMOVETHIS@oscarvandriel.nl> wrote in message
> > Recently I bought a Cirqus Voltaire (with 2.0H gamerom) and while
> > checking inside the backbox I noticed it has a security chip from the
> > Shadow in it.
> > It's not a misprint on the sticker since the numbers on it match with
> > the numbers on booy up.
> >
> > I thought this was impossible, and the security chip must match the
> > gamerom.
> >
> > What could this be?
> >
> > Maybe the CPU brd is from a shadow but still, with a CV gamerom in it,
> > it's not supposed to boot without an U22 error. But mine does.

June 29, 2005 1:35:43 AM

Can we download this program anywhere??

Woz

<cfh@provide.net> wrote in message
> Because largely of the fuss i made about the security PIC chip
> back a few years ago, a friend wrote a program that will alter
> the game ROM code to use any security PIC. Just run the program
> on your ROM code, and it changes the code and writes it out
> to a new ROM file. Burn it to a new EPROM, and you can use a
> CV game ROM with a Medieval PIC (for example). For example I
> am using a WCS security PIC in my Medieval. This became a moot
> point when the EwePIC chip became available, and most people
> forgot that the program exists. Unfortunately because the PIC
> chip is integral to the switch matrix, the chip can not be
> eliminated.
>
> Oscar van Driel wrote:
> > Recently I bought a Cirqus Voltaire (with 2.0H gamerom) and while
> > checking inside the backbox I noticed it has a security chip from the
> > Shadow in it.
> > It's not a misprint on the sticker since the numbers on it match with
> > the numbers on booy up.
> >
> > I thought this was impossible, and the security chip must match the
> > gamerom.
> >
> > What could this be?
> >
> > Maybe the CPU brd is from a shadow but still, with a CV gamerom in it,
> > it's not supposed to boot without an U22 error. But mine does.

June 30, 2005 11:27:51 AM

Can you provide a link to its location or provide the program? Thanks.
Kim Keist
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 30, 2005 11:35:47 AM

Newbie question here: What's the purpose of a security chip?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 30, 2005 2:25:38 PM

Probably been covered in the past- long topic- check google for past
newsgroup articles: www.google.com

Ray J.

--

!