Just bought a new HP p7-1234. Need Help!

Dubez

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I had a hp a6000 that died due to a power outage, so i went out and bought a new computer. I needed to upgrade any way. Anywho, the a6000 had 2 320gb drives in it, I'm praying that the one with the main information on it is aokay. Here's my dilemma.

I have a hard drive enclosure, but its not compatible with the drives out of the a6000. They are hitachi Deskstar sata drives.

Question 1, how difficult is it to pop one of the drives into the new computer to see if the information is still on there. Also if that is a possibility, would there be a problem because it has Windows Vista operating system on it?

Question 2 can I take the dvd-r drive from the a6000 and put it in the expansion bay of the p7-1234?

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
Answer to Question #1: If you have a SATA port open on your motherboard and a SATA power connector available (from your PSU), it is not hard at all - it shouldn't recognize Vista (but may give you the option to boot into Vista, don't choose it)
Answer to Question #2: Yes - if you have an open SATA connector on your motherboard and a SATA power connector available (from your PSU) - And, SATA cables to go from motherboard to devices

Dubez

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

Thanks, I hope this works. Will report back tomorrow