Disk Defragmenter Report - Problem

Hi, Disk Defragmenter states that is was not able to defragment all files.
Showing the Report lists 1 file with 5 fragments. Problem is the file named
does not exist!

My windows explorer settings will show all (even hidden) files, so it's not
that. Literally, the file is not there, yet no matter how many times I run
the defrag, the report is always the same.

Any suggestions and what might be causing this?

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about disk defragmenter report problem

    Possibly the registry shows a file that does not exist. Anyway, have you
    run CHKDSK /F on the drive? If not, that's what I would recommend. Then
    try again.

    -Frank

    "Fred" <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, Disk Defragmenter states that is was not able to defragment all files.
    > Showing the Report lists 1 file with 5 fragments. Problem is the file
    > named
    > does not exist!
    >
    > My windows explorer settings will show all (even hidden) files, so it's
    > not
    > that. Literally, the file is not there, yet no matter how many times I run
    > the defrag, the report is always the same.
    >
    > Any suggestions and what might be causing this?
    >
    > Thanks

    Did you copy paste the path into Start | Run?

    HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302347

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:0D1E8A3F-0FB3-4A13-9D5D-230C9C7FA994@microsoft.com,
    Fred <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi, Disk Defragmenter states that is was not able to defragment all files.
    > Showing the Report lists 1 file with 5 fragments. Problem is the file
    > named does not exist!
    >
    > My windows explorer settings will show all (even hidden) files, so it's
    > not that. Literally, the file is not there, yet no matter how many times
    > I run the defrag, the report is always the same.
    >
    > Any suggestions and what might be causing this?
    >
    > Thanks

    CHKDSK was the fix. Thanks!

    "Frankster" wrote:

    > Possibly the registry shows a file that does not exist. Anyway, have you
    > run CHKDSK /F on the drive? If not, that's what I would recommend. Then
    > try again.
    >
    > -Frank
    >
    > "Fred" <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, Disk Defragmenter states that is was not able to defragment all files.
    > > Showing the Report lists 1 file with 5 fragments. Problem is the file
    > > named
    > > does not exist!
    > >
    > > My windows explorer settings will show all (even hidden) files, so it's
    > > not
    > > that. Literally, the file is not there, yet no matter how many times I run
    > > the defrag, the report is always the same.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions and what might be causing this?
    > >
    > > Thanks

Defragment Windows XP