okay guy i need major help with the eletric stuff

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
Guy i need help bad..... my power supply was acting weird so i email antec for support this is the reply

Dear Sir:
What type of video card are you using? I would like you to check the voltage coming out from the power supply. Lets do a power supply test. Disconnect everything from the power supply and connect green wire to any black wire on the 20pin main connector. Plug the power cord in and turn the power supply on. If the power supply works, the fan should be spinning. With the power supply on, measure the voltage rails with a voltmeter: 5V red wire, 12V yellow wire, and 3.3V orange wire.

okay and i don't know wtf he is talking about........ how do u connect the green and black pins and what the those other colour located??? and i have a voltmeter but i donno how to set it it has a turn knob and it has DCV and DCma and there is different number etc. i have the sperry SP-5A voltmeter what on earth am i suppose to do?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
If you dont know how to use a volt meter we cant really help you... an instruction manual for the meter is what you shoul dbe looking at.

As for the rest:
The main connector to the motherboard has some 24 wires going into it. Only one is green. Stick a bit of wire into the green hole, and the other end into the black.
This tells the PSU to power up without having a motherboard attached.
Then you can test the other voltages by attaching the red multimeter line to various coloured lines and the black allways to a black ground line of the motherboard connector.

<b>Now can someone explain how we ever got the idea that baby bunnies lay multicolored eggs made of chocolate in our living rooms?" :lol: </b>
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images</A>

FO_SHO

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
DCV should be for Direct Current VOLTAGE, and that's what you want.

DCma is probably direct current in (ma) or current so that's not what you want.

FO_SHO

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
Okay, you need DCV. the values are the MAXIMUM voltages that you can measure without doing damage to your voltmeter. so if you're measuring 12V, don't set it at 10, but at 50V. If you're measuring 5V, then turn the knob to 10, so you can read the voltages easier. Assuming that you have a normal voltmeter, that's usually how it works.

Of course make sure that they don't say stuff like 10 mV cause that's milli volts. Just make sure that you see the mV or V difference.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
What are you supposed to do?

Well, if you're smart, you'll take the power supply to an experienced technician and get it tested before you a) burn out the supply and/or B) blow up your voltmeter.

Sorry.. no offense intended, but if you've never done this before you aren't going to learn how on a BBS... you need to be <i>shown</i> how do to these tests.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
luckily i am one of those lucky one that didn't blow up my p/s i did the test quite successfully thanks to all u people's help^^ and let's see what the antec guy have to say about my p/s

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Antec is trying to get you to test your power supply with no load. This is hillarious, because I've noticed all their low end power supplies drop voltage under load! No, I've never tested a True Power supply from them, I hear good things, but they have too much of my money already.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
Well if someone can help me with this problem i would be truly thankful

my Xaser3 case along with the Antec True Blue 480 came to day, took me all to install it and it's have some weird porblems
when i shut off my computer windows XP pro Sp1 will freeze at "windows is shutting down ur comp" and the weird/dangerous thing is it seem that the P/S have shut down all the fans but not the computer and i tried pressing the restart button, the system will reboot but the video card and other card won't work, and this will also happen if i tried pressing the power button, it seem u can't turn the machine off unless u switch off the main power switch, what's happening could the Antec gone bad??

I tried repair the O/S no lucky still

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
First make sure you have ACPI (power management) enabled in your BIOS.

Then try this:
<A HREF="http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/251/" target="_new">http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/251/</A>

XP with service pack 1 sometimes won't shut the computer off.

Also, you may have to go into the Management Console / Services and disable the automatic updates and intelegent background transfers to get it to shut down reliably.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
Tried all of them Teq still no luck, i am thinking it has something to do with my video card because when all the fans are turned off only the P/S and the Video card is still on any ideas???