CD Drive Does Not Read Disks

Nossy

For some strange reason my HP Pavillion 510n CD drive does not read
any disks I insert. The driver is Philips CDD 4851-R/RW. I uninstalled
and then rebooted. Still nothing. It shows the drive in D:\ but
doesn't find anything on disks either via My Computer or Windows
Explorer.

How old is the computer. The strange reason may simply be that the drive failed
due to old age, actually a premature death... Ben Myers

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:26:32 -0400, Nossy <heavy@heavier.net> wrote:

>For some strange reason my HP Pavillion 510n CD drive does not read
>any disks I insert. The driver is Philips CDD 4851-R/RW. I uninstalled
>and then rebooted. Still nothing. It shows the drive in D:\ but
>doesn't find anything on disks either via My Computer or Windows
>Explorer.
>Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Nossy

It's an HP Pavillion 510n and the computer was purchased in 2001, with
WIndows XP installed. I followed steps provided by HP, and still the
drive D: suddenly does not detect the discs. Must I now purchase a NEW
CD ROM external drive as replacement?

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:34:21 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

>How old is the computer. The strange reason may simply be that the drive failed
>due to old age, actually a premature death... Ben Myers
>
>On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:26:32 -0400, Nossy <heavy@heavier.net> wrote:
>
>>For some strange reason my HP Pavillion 510n CD drive does not read
>>any disks I insert. The driver is Philips CDD 4851-R/RW. I uninstalled
>>and then rebooted. Still nothing. It shows the drive in D:\ but
>>doesn't find anything on disks either via My Computer or Windows
>>Explorer.
>>Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Nossy

I tried accessing a CD disc with Word documents and others. I got this
message in Word:

"D: is not accessible. The disk media is not recognized. It may not be
formatted. For details see: C:\Docu~1\Owner\Locals\Temp\wecerr.txt."

However, I do not even find that particular file.

Nossy

Well, either an external or an internal drive. An internal one is a lot less
expensive, but takes some careful disassembly and re-assembly of the computer to
get it going. The CD burning software bundled originally with your computer may
not work with the replacement drive. When you buy a replacement drive, make
sure it comes with a set of CD burning software. Or you can install and use the
very functional and free CDBurnerXPPro. Google for it by its name and you will
find its web site... Ben Myers