F-14 Tomcat Problem - Diverter Not Working

On my F-14, the ball diverter does not function and the ball comes all
around back to the shooter lane. What part of the CPU board should I check
that is linked to the diverter which holds the ball once each ball is fired?

Thanks.

Jason

Leave the CPU alone. I would check the black plastic pieces on the left
top of the playfield that divert the ball between the habitrails. There are
three and they rest at six o'clock and when activated go to to three
o'clock. Take the playfield glass off, then the left top plastic cover and
see if those black guides work. You can also do this in the switch test
mode. Let us know.
Steve Schukei
"Jason Danziger" <jdanziger@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> On my F-14, the ball diverter does not function and the ball comes all
> around back to the shooter lane. What part of the CPU board should I
> check
> that is linked to the diverter which holds the ball once each ball is
> fired?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jason

http://www.usenet.com

A bad diverter won't make the ball come all the way back down the
shooter lane. Only a bad shooter spring or shooter alignment would
cause the ball to fail reaching the diverter. Also, opening and
closing the pf could have 'shaved' the tip off of the rubber. Does it
make a 'clink' sound when you launch the ball?

On my F14, the lower diverter had interference with the ramp itself. I
placed a beefy washer(1/16" thick) at the post right near the lower
diverter (between post and ramp) to create clearance. This worked like
a champ. The diverters on F14 are seperate - not like in High Speed
where they are linked/timed. It doesn't sound like the problem you're
having. A failing diverter would cause the ball to always take the
path of the lowest wire ramp.

Jason Danziger wrote:
> On my F-14, the ball diverter does not function and the ball comes all
> around back to the shooter lane. What part of the CPU board should I check
> that is linked to the diverter which holds the ball once each ball is fired?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jason

Thats what it does, the ball goes to the lowest wire ramp. It should get
diverted to the top or middle ramp to the holding area where it is reshot
out onto the playfield but this does not happen.

It has nothing to do with the plunger as that is all new along with the
rubber.

What can I do to get the top and middle diverters to function again? Could
it be a resistor or transistor on the CPU board, as I tested them all and
they are all good.

Thanks again.

Jason
<gixxerdude1000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> A bad diverter won't make the ball come all the way back down the
> shooter lane. Only a bad shooter spring or shooter alignment would
> cause the ball to fail reaching the diverter. Also, opening and
> closing the pf could have 'shaved' the tip off of the rubber. Does it
> make a 'clink' sound when you launch the ball?
>
> On my F14, the lower diverter had interference with the ramp itself. I
> placed a beefy washer(1/16" thick) at the post right near the lower
> diverter (between post and ramp) to create clearance. This worked like
> a champ. The diverters on F14 are seperate - not like in High Speed
> where they are linked/timed. It doesn't sound like the problem you're
> having. A failing diverter would cause the ball to always take the
> path of the lowest wire ramp.
>

> Jason Danziger wrote:
> > On my F-14, the ball diverter does not function and the ball comes all
> > around back to the shooter lane. What part of the CPU board should I
check
> > that is linked to the diverter which holds the ball once each ball is
fired?

> > Thanks.
> >
> > Jason

are the switches functioning correctly? If the ball isn't detected in
the first ball lock it will keep sending the balls there.

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!

Jason,

I have an idea for something to check.

Try checking the A/C boards under the playfield.

--
PinTed

>On my F-14, the ball diverter does not function and
>the ball comes all around back to the shooter lane

Move the diverters by hand to make sure they are OK and not binding.

Go into test mode and test the coils and switches to make sure each is
working correct.

The game needs to see the ball going around the loop to activate a
diverter. Either your switches are not working or something is wrong
with the coils.

Kirb