intermittent beeping (every 5 seconds)

August 14, 2005 6:26:02 AM

I'm looking for help to solve an intermittent beeping problem.
On a Sony Vaio laptop, running XP Prof w/SP2, the computer beeps
(exclamation point.wav) every 5 seconds!
Tried to work around it by deleting the .wav file, but it returns with
another sound. The noise begins before(??) logon.
In the meantime, I just mute the volume.

With thanks in advance.
DM
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 9:29:05 AM

Your problem is more serious than you think. I f you are getting beeping
before bootup it is a motherboard warning. Check your manual for bios beep
codes, usually a sign of hardware failure. Could be overheating due to a fan
failure.

"Shecors" wrote:

> I'm looking for help to solve an intermittent beeping problem.
> On a Sony Vaio laptop, running XP Prof w/SP2, the computer beeps
> (exclamation point.wav) every 5 seconds!
> Tried to work around it by deleting the .wav file, but it returns with
> another sound. The noise begins before(??) logon.
> In the meantime, I just mute the volume.
>
> With thanks in advance.
> DM
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 10:51:45 AM

Hi,

Go to the Sounds applet in the control panel. On the Sounds tab, go to the
program events. Look at the list and click on the ones with the sound icon
in front. Look for the event that is producing the sound you are hearing.
Once you know what is causing it, we might be able to fix it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone