intermittent beeping (every 5 seconds)

I'm looking for help to solve an intermittent beeping problem.
On a Sony Vaio laptop, running XP Prof w/SP2, the computer beeps
(exclamation point.wav) every 5 seconds!
Tried to work around it by deleting the .wav file, but it returns with
another sound. The noise begins before(??) logon.
In the meantime, I just mute the volume.

With thanks in advance.
DM
2 answers Last reply
More about intermittent beeping every seconds

    Your problem is more serious than you think. I f you are getting beeping
    before bootup it is a motherboard warning. Check your manual for bios beep
    codes, usually a sign of hardware failure. Could be overheating due to a fan
    failure.

    "Shecors" wrote:

    > I'm looking for help to solve an intermittent beeping problem.
    > On a Sony Vaio laptop, running XP Prof w/SP2, the computer beeps
    > (exclamation point.wav) every 5 seconds!
    > Tried to work around it by deleting the .wav file, but it returns with
    > another sound. The noise begins before(??) logon.
    > In the meantime, I just mute the volume.
    >
    > With thanks in advance.
    > DM

    Hi,

    Go to the Sounds applet in the control panel. On the Sounds tab, go to the
    program events. Look at the list and click on the ones with the sound icon
    in front. Look for the event that is producing the sound you are hearing.
    Once you know what is causing it, we might be able to fix it.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Shecors" <Shecors@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for help to solve an intermittent beeping problem.
    > On a Sony Vaio laptop, running XP Prof w/SP2, the computer beeps
    > (exclamation point.wav) every 5 seconds!
    > Tried to work around it by deleting the .wav file, but it returns with
    > another sound. The noise begins before(??) logon.
    > In the meantime, I just mute the volume.
    >
    > With thanks in advance.
    > DM

Microsoft Windows XP