Network Connections x 2 PCs

Hi

My son and I share an "Always On" Cable Internet connection through a 4-port
hub and cable Network. I want the two computers to connect "locally" and
share Files, printers and a scanner (without scarificing the internet
sharing).
My efforts on creating this connection were, so far, fruitless.
As I am not technically inclined, "how-to" sites would be of great assistance.

Thanks
Poltonis

Details of the two System:
Intel Pentiums IIIE, 650 MHz
Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
Network Card CNet Pro200 PCI Ethernet Adaptor
448 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Award Software International, Inc.
Video RADEON 7000 SERIES(64 MB)
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB
More about network connections

    In article <F8664554-51AF-4854-B9E4-584C6027CB81@microsoft.com>,
    "Poltonis" <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> wrote:
    >Hi
    >
    >My son and I share an "Always On" Cable Internet connection through a 4-port
    >hub and cable Network. I want the two computers to connect "locally" and
    >share Files, printers and a scanner (without scarificing the internet
    >sharing).
    >My efforts on creating this connection were, so far, fruitless.
    >Can someone point me in the right direction?
    >As I am not technically inclined, "how-to" sites would be of great assistance.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Poltonis
    >
    >Details of the two System:
    >Intel Pentiums IIIE, 650 MHz
    >Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
    >Network Card CNet Pro200 PCI Ethernet Adaptor
    >448 MB (SDRAM)
    >BIOS Award Software International, Inc.
    >Video RADEON 7000 SERIES(64 MB)
    >USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB

    Do you have a network hub or a broadband router? The setup is quite
    different for those devices. What's the make and model of your
    device?

    If you have a broadband router, run XP's Network Setup Wizard on both
    computers. The Wizard will make all the necessary settings for
    sharing Internet access, files and printers. If the Wizard detects
    the router's shared Internet connection, tell it to use that
    connection. Otherwise, tell it that the computers connect to the
    Internet through a residential gateway.

    If you have a hub, the setup depends on how many IP addresses you get
    from your cable Internet provider.

    If you have a hub and one IP address, connect the cable connection
    directly to one computer and use Internet Connection Sharing to give
    access to the other one. I've written a web page with details:

    Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics

    If you have a hub and multiple IP addresses, the setup is more
    complicated. Details to follow if requested.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Rgds
    Poltonis

    "Steve Winograd [MVP]" wrote:

    > In article <F8664554-51AF-4854-B9E4-584C6027CB81@microsoft.com>,
    > "Poltonis" <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> wrote:
    > >Hi
    > >
    > >My son and I share an "Always On" Cable Internet connection through a 4-port
    > >hub and cable Network. I want the two computers to connect "locally" and
    > >share Files, printers and a scanner (without scarificing the internet
    > >sharing).
    > >My efforts on creating this connection were, so far, fruitless.
    > >Can someone point me in the right direction?
    > >As I am not technically inclined, "how-to" sites would be of great assistance.
    > >
    > >Thanks
    > >Poltonis
    > >
    > >Details of the two System:
    > >Intel Pentiums IIIE, 650 MHz
    > >Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
    > >Network Card CNet Pro200 PCI Ethernet Adaptor
    > >448 MB (SDRAM)
    > >BIOS Award Software International, Inc.
    > >Video RADEON 7000 SERIES(64 MB)
    > >USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB
    >
    > Do you have a network hub or a broadband router? The setup is quite
    > different for those devices. What's the make and model of your
    > device?
    >
    > If you have a broadband router, run XP's Network Setup Wizard on both
    > computers. The Wizard will make all the necessary settings for
    > sharing Internet access, files and printers. If the Wizard detects
    > the router's shared Internet connection, tell it to use that
    > connection. Otherwise, tell it that the computers connect to the
    > Internet through a residential gateway.
    >
    > If you have a hub, the setup depends on how many IP addresses you get
    > from your cable Internet provider.
    >
    > If you have a hub and one IP address, connect the cable connection
    > directly to one computer and use Internet Connection Sharing to give
    > access to the other one. I've written a web page with details:
    >
    > Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics
    >
    > If you have a hub and multiple IP addresses, the setup is more
    > complicated. Details to follow if requested.
    > --
    > Best Wishes,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    ============================
    Thanks Steve : that was quite a handful for me!
    This I know: it is a hub.
    Regarding different IP addresses, I need to check about this.
    You said ..."Details to follow if requested": pls give me some time to check.
    Will you bookmark this post please, so that when I reply you would know.
    Your time and patience is appreciated.

    Best wishes
    Poltonis

    "Steve Winograd [MVP]" wrote:

    > In article <F8664554-51AF-4854-B9E4-584C6027CB81@microsoft.com>,
    > "Poltonis" <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> wrote:
    > >Hi
    > >
    > >My son and I share an "Always On" Cable Internet connection through a 4-port
    > >hub and cable Network. I want the two computers to connect "locally" and
    > >share Files, printers and a scanner (without scarificing the internet
    > >sharing).
    > >My efforts on creating this connection were, so far, fruitless.
    > >Can someone point me in the right direction?
    > >As I am not technically inclined, "how-to" sites would be of great assistance.
    > >
    > >Thanks
    > >Poltonis
    > >
    > >Details of the two System:
    > >Intel Pentiums IIIE, 650 MHz
    > >Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
    > >Network Card CNet Pro200 PCI Ethernet Adaptor
    > >448 MB (SDRAM)
    > >BIOS Award Software International, Inc.
    > >Video RADEON 7000 SERIES(64 MB)
    > >USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB
    >
    > Do you have a network hub or a broadband router? The setup is quite
    > different for those devices. What's the make and model of your
    > device?
    >
    > If you have a broadband router, run XP's Network Setup Wizard on both
    > computers. The Wizard will make all the necessary settings for
    > sharing Internet access, files and printers. If the Wizard detects
    > the router's shared Internet connection, tell it to use that
    > connection. Otherwise, tell it that the computers connect to the
    > Internet through a residential gateway.
    >
    > If you have a hub, the setup depends on how many IP addresses you get
    > from your cable Internet provider.
    >
    > If you have a hub and one IP address, connect the cable connection
    > directly to one computer and use Internet Connection Sharing to give
    > access to the other one. I've written a web page with details:
    >
    > Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics
    >
    > If you have a hub and multiple IP addresses, the setup is more
    > complicated. Details to follow if requested.
    > --
    > Best Wishes,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    ==================================
    Hello again Steve

    My son (who is a bit more savvy than me) have confirmed that we have the
    "more complicated setup" :hub and multiple IP addresses ( no wonder I
    couldn't get it working!)
    The IP addresses are assigned automatically by our Cable Interent Provider.

    Please send us the details you mentioned.

    Best Wishes
    Poltonis

    In article <03699305-2A93-4497-A63C-2D22A6AED1CE@microsoft.com>,
    "Poltonis" <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> wrote:
    >> >Hi
    >> >
    >> >My son and I share an "Always On" Cable Internet connection through a 4-port
    >> >hub and cable Network. I want the two computers to connect "locally" and
    >> >share Files, printers and a scanner (without scarificing the internet
    >> >sharing).
    >> >My efforts on creating this connection were, so far, fruitless.
    >> >Can someone point me in the right direction?
    >> >As I am not technically inclined, "how-to" sites would be of great assistance.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks
    >> >Poltonis
    >> >
    >> >Details of the two System:
    >> >----------------------------------------------------------
    >> >Intel Pentiums IIIE, 650 MHz
    >> >Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
    >> >Network Card CNet Pro200 PCI Ethernet Adaptor
    >> >448 MB (SDRAM)
    >> >BIOS Award Software International, Inc.
    >> >Video RADEON 7000 SERIES(64 MB)
    >> >USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB
    >>
    >> Do you have a network hub or a broadband router? The setup is quite
    >> different for those devices. What's the make and model of your
    >> device?
    >>
    >> If you have a broadband router, run XP's Network Setup Wizard on both
    >> computers. The Wizard will make all the necessary settings for
    >> sharing Internet access, files and printers. If the Wizard detects
    >> the router's shared Internet connection, tell it to use that
    >> connection. Otherwise, tell it that the computers connect to the
    >> Internet through a residential gateway.
    >>
    >> If you have a hub, the setup depends on how many IP addresses you get
    >> from your cable Internet provider.
    >>
    >> If you have a hub and one IP address, connect the cable connection
    >> directly to one computer and use Internet Connection Sharing to give
    >> access to the other one. I've written a web page with details:
    >>
    >> Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
    >> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics
    >>
    >> If you have a hub and multiple IP addresses, the setup is more
    >> complicated. Details to follow if requested.
    >
    >Hello again Steve
    >
    >My son (who is a bit more savvy than me) have confirmed that we have the
    >"more complicated setup" :hub and multiple IP addresses ( no wonder I
    >couldn't get it working!)
    >The IP addresses are assigned automatically by our Cable Interent Provider.
    >
    >Please send us the details you mentioned.
    >
    >Best Wishes
    >Poltonis

    Hello again, Poltonis. OK, here are the details. They apply to a
    network setup where multiple computers receive individual public IP
    addresses from a broadband provider through a network hub or switch.
    They don't apply to the simpler and more common network setup where
    multiple computers share a single public IP address through a
    broadband router.

    On each computer, install the IPX/SPX protocol for file sharing and
    disable file sharing on TCP/IP. I've written a web page showing how
    to do it:

    Windows XP Network Protocols
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/network_protocols.htm

    There are two reasons to use IPX/SPX instead of TCP/IP for file
    sharing with this setup:

    1. If your cable or DSL provider assigns IP addresses in different
    subnets to your computers, it isn't possible for them to communicate
    with each other using TCP/IP.

    2. Since your computers connect directly to the Internet through the
    cable or DSL modem, they receive public IP addresses that are
    accessible by everyone on the Internet. Using TCP/IP for file sharing
    could let other people access your shared files.

    Be sure to run a firewall on each computer.
    --

    "Steve Winograd [MVP]" wrote:

    > >> Do you have a network hub or a broadband router? The setup is quite
    > >> different for those devices. What's the make and model of your
    > >> device?
    > >>
    > >> If you have a broadband router, run XP's Network Setup Wizard on both
    > >> computers. The Wizard will make all the necessary settings for
    > >> sharing Internet access, files and printers. If the Wizard detects
    > >> the router's shared Internet connection, tell it to use that
    > >> connection. Otherwise, tell it that the computers connect to the
    > >> Internet through a residential gateway.
    > >>
    > >> If you have a hub, the setup depends on how many IP addresses you get
    > >> from your cable Internet provider.
    > >>
    > >> If you have a hub and one IP address, connect the cable connection
    > >> directly to one computer and use Internet Connection Sharing to give
    > >> access to the other one. I've written a web page with details:
    > >>
    > >> Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
    > >> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics
    > >>
    > >> If you have a hub and multiple IP addresses, the setup is more
    > >> complicated. Details to follow if requested.
    > >
    > >Hello again Steve
    > >
    > >My son (who is a bit more savvy than me) have confirmed that we have the
    > >"more complicated setup" :hub and multiple IP addresses ( no wonder I
    > >couldn't get it working!)
    > >The IP addresses are assigned automatically by our Cable Interent Provider.
    > >
    > >Please send us the details you mentioned.
    > >
    > >Best Wishes
    > >Poltonis
    >
    > Hello again, Poltonis. OK, here are the details. They apply to a
    > network setup where multiple computers receive individual public IP
    > addresses from a broadband provider through a network hub or switch.
    > They don't apply to the simpler and more common network setup where
    > multiple computers share a single public IP address through a
    > broadband router.
    >
    > On each computer, install the IPX/SPX protocol for file sharing and
    > disable file sharing on TCP/IP. I've written a web page showing how
    > to do it:
    >
    > Windows XP Network Protocols
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/network_protocols.htm
    >
    > There are two reasons to use IPX/SPX instead of TCP/IP for file
    > sharing with this setup:
    >
    > 1. If your cable or DSL provider assigns IP addresses in different
    > subnets to your computers, it isn't possible for them to communicate
    > with each other using TCP/IP.
    >
    > 2. Since your computers connect directly to the Internet through the
    > cable or DSL modem, they receive public IP addresses that are
    > accessible by everyone on the Internet. Using TCP/IP for file sharing
    > could let other people access your shared files.
    >
    > Be sure to run a firewall on each computer.
    > --
    > Best Wishes,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    OK Steve: will be working on it. When it comes through, I'll let you know.
    Meantime, thanks!

    Poltonis

    Poltonis wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > My son and I share an "Always On" Cable Internet connection through a 4-port
    > hub and cable Network. I want the two computers to connect "locally" and
    > share Files, printers and a scanner (without scarificing the internet
    > sharing).
    > My efforts on creating this connection were, so far, fruitless.
    > As I am not technically inclined, "how-to" sites would be of great assistance.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Poltonis
    >
    > Details of the two System:
    > Intel Pentiums IIIE, 650 MHz
    > Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
    > Network Card CNet Pro200 PCI Ethernet Adaptor
    > 448 MB (SDRAM)
    > BIOS Award Software International, Inc.
    > Video RADEON 7000 SERIES(64 MB)
    > USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB

    On the WinXP computers, create local user account(s), with non-blank
    password(s), that have the desired access privileges to the desired
    shares. Log on to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be
    able to access the designated shares, provided your network is
    configured properly. Also, if running WinXP SP1 or later, make sure
    that WinXP's built-in firewall is disabled on the internal LAN
    connection. If using WinXP SP2, make sure that you've either disabled
    the built-in firewall, or set the firewall to allow file and print sharing.

    Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
    almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
    easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

    Home Networking
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.asp

    Networking Information
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm

    PracticallyNetworked Home
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm

    Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Rgds
    Poltonis

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > Poltonis wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > My son and I share an "Always On" Cable Internet connection through a 4-port
    > > hub and cable Network. I want the two computers to connect "locally" and
    > > share Files, printers and a scanner (without scarificing the internet
    > > sharing).
    > > My efforts on creating this connection were, so far, fruitless.
    > > Can someone point me in the right direction?
    > > As I am not technically inclined, "how-to" sites would be of great assistance.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Poltonis
    > >
    > > Details of the two System:
    > > Intel Pentiums IIIE, 650 MHz
    > > Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
    > > Network Card CNet Pro200 PCI Ethernet Adaptor
    > > 448 MB (SDRAM)
    > > BIOS Award Software International, Inc.
    > > Video RADEON 7000 SERIES(64 MB)
    > > USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB
    >

    > On the WinXP computers, create local user account(s), with non-blank
    > password(s), that have the desired access privileges to the desired
    > shares. Log on to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be
    > able to access the designated shares, provided your network is
    > configured properly. Also, if running WinXP SP1 or later, make sure
    > that WinXP's built-in firewall is disabled on the internal LAN
    > connection. If using WinXP SP2, make sure that you've either disabled
    > the built-in firewall, or set the firewall to allow file and print sharing.
    >
    > Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
    > almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
    > easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:
    >
    > Home Networking
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.asp
    >
    > Networking Information
    > http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm
    >
    > PracticallyNetworked Home
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm
    >
    > Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ
    > http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    Thanks Bruce: still struggling with it, I'm afraid.
    One PC (SP1) "sees" the network connections, the other (SP2) a blank.

    Poltonis

    If you have a msn messenger enabled address (i.e. any hotmail address) then
    add me into your contact list. This sort of thing is best handled with
    instant messages than delayed newsgroups

    my email address is underneath in my signature

    Jayso

    Please reply to this email so I know if i'm right :)

    Good in Home Networking, XP Home based problems, and Pro based Problems
    Add my email to MSN Messenger if u wish
    jayso_chinnery@spamfreehotmail.com.au (remove spamfree)

    In article <Of$W2$LoFHA.3316@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Jayso"
    <jayso_chinnery@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >"Poltonis" <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> My son and I share an "Always On" Cable Internet connection through a
    >> 4-port
    >> hub and cable Network. I want the two computers to connect "locally" and
    >> share Files, printers and a scanner (without scarificing the internet
    >> sharing).
    >> My efforts on creating this connection were, so far, fruitless.
    >> Can someone point me in the right direction?
    >> As I am not technically inclined, "how-to" sites would be of great
    >> assistance.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Poltonis
    >>
    >> Details of the two System:
    >> Intel Pentiums IIIE, 650 MHz
    >> Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
    >> Network Card CNet Pro200 PCI Ethernet Adaptor
    >> 448 MB (SDRAM)
    >> BIOS Award Software International, Inc.
    >> Video RADEON 7000 SERIES(64 MB)
    >> USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB
    >
    >If you have a msn messenger enabled address (i.e. any hotmail address) then
    >add me into your contact list. This sort of thing is best handled with
    >instant messages than delayed newsgroups. [snip]

    With all due respect, Jayso, I think that this problem is best handled
    in this newsgroup. Poltonis posted the original question here, I've
    been replying here, and other people all over the world can take part
    in the discussion, help each other, and learn.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Whilst thanking you for your interest Jayso, I fully endorse what Steve has
    asserted.
    In this way, others can benefit from this wealth of knowledge. ( I myself
    did a " search" before posting further questions on the matter.)
    --
    Rgds
    Poltonis

    In article <27B5F10C-42CF-4339-9D5F-EA9B1035D488@microsoft.com>,
    "Poltonis" <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> wrote:
    >Yes Steve, the test account is working perfectly on the two PCs.
    >It's only on my PC (1) that the other two Administrative Accounts can't log
    >on.
    >I rechecked the settings as you directed and both Admin Accounts are listed
    >under the Administrators Group.
    >
    >Regards
    >Poltonis

    I suspect that something's wrong with the user account and group
    settings, and I'm not sure what it is. Please see if this article
    helps:

    Windows XP Professional File Sharing
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com