Network Connections x 2 PCs

August 14, 2005 6:42:12 AM

Hi

My son and I share an "Always On" Cable Internet connection through a 4-port
hub and cable Network. I want the two computers to connect "locally" and
share Files, printers and a scanner (without scarificing the internet
sharing).
My efforts on creating this connection were, so far, fruitless.
As I am not technically inclined, "how-to" sites would be of great assistance.

Thanks
Poltonis

Details of the two System:
Intel Pentiums IIIE, 650 MHz
Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
Network Card CNet Pro200 PCI Ethernet Adaptor
448 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Award Software International, Inc.
Video RADEON 7000 SERIES(64 MB)
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB
August 14, 2005 7:58:18 AM

In article <F8664554-51AF-4854-B9E4-584C6027CB81@microsoft.com>,
"Poltonis" <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> wrote:
>Hi
>
>My son and I share an "Always On" Cable Internet connection through a 4-port
>hub and cable Network. I want the two computers to connect "locally" and
>share Files, printers and a scanner (without scarificing the internet
>sharing).
>My efforts on creating this connection were, so far, fruitless.
>Can someone point me in the right direction?
>As I am not technically inclined, "how-to" sites would be of great assistance.
>
>Thanks
>Poltonis
>
>Details of the two System:
>Intel Pentiums IIIE, 650 MHz
>Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
>Network Card CNet Pro200 PCI Ethernet Adaptor
>448 MB (SDRAM)
>BIOS Award Software International, Inc.
>Video RADEON 7000 SERIES(64 MB)
>USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB

Do you have a network hub or a broadband router? The setup is quite
different for those devices. What's the make and model of your
device?

If you have a broadband router, run XP's Network Setup Wizard on both
computers. The Wizard will make all the necessary settings for
sharing Internet access, files and printers. If the Wizard detects
the router's shared Internet connection, tell it to use that
connection. Otherwise, tell it that the computers connect to the
Internet through a residential gateway.

If you have a hub, the setup depends on how many IP addresses you get
from your cable Internet provider.

If you have a hub and one IP address, connect the cable connection
directly to one computer and use Internet Connection Sharing to give
access to the other one. I've written a web page with details:

Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics

If you have a hub and multiple IP addresses, the setup is more
complicated. Details to follow if requested.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 7:58:19 AM

Rgds
Poltonis

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" wrote:

> In article <F8664554-51AF-4854-B9E4-584C6027CB81@microsoft.com>,
> "Poltonis" <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> wrote:
> >Hi
> >
> >My son and I share an "Always On" Cable Internet connection through a 4-port
> >hub and cable Network. I want the two computers to connect "locally" and
> >share Files, printers and a scanner (without scarificing the internet
> >sharing).
> >My efforts on creating this connection were, so far, fruitless.
> >Can someone point me in the right direction?
> >As I am not technically inclined, "how-to" sites would be of great assistance.
> >
> >Thanks
> >Poltonis
> >
> >Details of the two System:
> >Intel Pentiums IIIE, 650 MHz
> >Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
> >Network Card CNet Pro200 PCI Ethernet Adaptor
> >448 MB (SDRAM)
> >BIOS Award Software International, Inc.
> >Video RADEON 7000 SERIES(64 MB)
> >USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB
>
> Do you have a network hub or a broadband router? The setup is quite
> different for those devices. What's the make and model of your
> device?
>
> If you have a broadband router, run XP's Network Setup Wizard on both
> computers. The Wizard will make all the necessary settings for
> sharing Internet access, files and printers. If the Wizard detects
> the router's shared Internet connection, tell it to use that
> connection. Otherwise, tell it that the computers connect to the
> Internet through a residential gateway.
>
> If you have a hub, the setup depends on how many IP addresses you get
> from your cable Internet provider.
>
> If you have a hub and one IP address, connect the cable connection
> directly to one computer and use Internet Connection Sharing to give
> access to the other one. I've written a web page with details:
>
> Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics
>
> If you have a hub and multiple IP addresses, the setup is more
> complicated. Details to follow if requested.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

============================
Thanks Steve : that was quite a handful for me!
This I know: it is a hub.
Regarding different IP addresses, I need to check about this.
You said ..."Details to follow if requested": pls give me some time to check.
Will you bookmark this post please, so that when I reply you would know.
Your time and patience is appreciated.

Best wishes
Poltonis
August 14, 2005 7:58:19 AM

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" wrote:

> In article <F8664554-51AF-4854-B9E4-584C6027CB81@microsoft.com>,
> "Poltonis" <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> wrote:
> >Hi
> >
> >My son and I share an "Always On" Cable Internet connection through a 4-port
> >hub and cable Network. I want the two computers to connect "locally" and
> >share Files, printers and a scanner (without scarificing the internet
> >sharing).
> >My efforts on creating this connection were, so far, fruitless.
> >Can someone point me in the right direction?
> >As I am not technically inclined, "how-to" sites would be of great assistance.
> >
> >Thanks
> >Poltonis
> >
> >Details of the two System:
> >Intel Pentiums IIIE, 650 MHz
> >Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
> >Network Card CNet Pro200 PCI Ethernet Adaptor
> >448 MB (SDRAM)
> >BIOS Award Software International, Inc.
> >Video RADEON 7000 SERIES(64 MB)
> >USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB
>
> Do you have a network hub or a broadband router? The setup is quite
> different for those devices. What's the make and model of your
> device?
>
> If you have a broadband router, run XP's Network Setup Wizard on both
> computers. The Wizard will make all the necessary settings for
> sharing Internet access, files and printers. If the Wizard detects
> the router's shared Internet connection, tell it to use that
> connection. Otherwise, tell it that the computers connect to the
> Internet through a residential gateway.
>
> If you have a hub, the setup depends on how many IP addresses you get
> from your cable Internet provider.
>
> If you have a hub and one IP address, connect the cable connection
> directly to one computer and use Internet Connection Sharing to give
> access to the other one. I've written a web page with details:
>
> Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics
>
> If you have a hub and multiple IP addresses, the setup is more
> complicated. Details to follow if requested.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

==================================
Hello again Steve

My son (who is a bit more savvy than me) have confirmed that we have the
"more complicated setup" :hub and multiple IP addresses ( no wonder I
couldn't get it working!)
The IP addresses are assigned automatically by our Cable Interent Provider.

Please send us the details you mentioned.

Best Wishes
Poltonis
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 9:37:38 AM

In article <03699305-2A93-4497-A63C-2D22A6AED1CE@microsoft.com>,
"Poltonis" <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> wrote:
>> >Hi
>> >
>> >My son and I share an "Always On" Cable Internet connection through a 4-port
>> >hub and cable Network. I want the two computers to connect "locally" and
>> >share Files, printers and a scanner (without scarificing the internet
>> >sharing).
>> >My efforts on creating this connection were, so far, fruitless.
>> >Can someone point me in the right direction?
>> >As I am not technically inclined, "how-to" sites would be of great assistance.
>> >
>> >Thanks
>> >Poltonis
>> >
>> >Details of the two System:
>> >----------------------------------------------------------
>> >Intel Pentiums IIIE, 650 MHz
>> >Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
>> >Network Card CNet Pro200 PCI Ethernet Adaptor
>> >448 MB (SDRAM)
>> >BIOS Award Software International, Inc.
>> >Video RADEON 7000 SERIES(64 MB)
>> >USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB
>>
>> Do you have a network hub or a broadband router? The setup is quite
>> different for those devices. What's the make and model of your
>> device?
>>
>> If you have a broadband router, run XP's Network Setup Wizard on both
>> computers. The Wizard will make all the necessary settings for
>> sharing Internet access, files and printers. If the Wizard detects
>> the router's shared Internet connection, tell it to use that
>> connection. Otherwise, tell it that the computers connect to the
>> Internet through a residential gateway.
>>
>> If you have a hub, the setup depends on how many IP addresses you get
>> from your cable Internet provider.
>>
>> If you have a hub and one IP address, connect the cable connection
>> directly to one computer and use Internet Connection Sharing to give
>> access to the other one. I've written a web page with details:
>>
>> Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics
>>
>> If you have a hub and multiple IP addresses, the setup is more
>> complicated. Details to follow if requested.
>
>Hello again Steve
>
>My son (who is a bit more savvy than me) have confirmed that we have the
>"more complicated setup" :hub and multiple IP addresses ( no wonder I
>couldn't get it working!)
>The IP addresses are assigned automatically by our Cable Interent Provider.
>
>Please send us the details you mentioned.
>
>Best Wishes
>Poltonis

Hello again, Poltonis. OK, here are the details. They apply to a
network setup where multiple computers receive individual public IP
addresses from a broadband provider through a network hub or switch.
They don't apply to the simpler and more common network setup where
multiple computers share a single public IP address through a
broadband router.

On each computer, install the IPX/SPX protocol for file sharing and
disable file sharing on TCP/IP. I've written a web page showing how
to do it:

Windows XP Network Protocols
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/network_...

There are two reasons to use IPX/SPX instead of TCP/IP for file
sharing with this setup:

1. If your cable or DSL provider assigns IP addresses in different
subnets to your computers, it isn't possible for them to communicate
with each other using TCP/IP.

2. Since your computers connect directly to the Internet through the
cable or DSL modem, they receive public IP addresses that are
accessible by everyone on the Internet. Using TCP/IP for file sharing
could let other people access your shared files.

Be sure to run a firewall on each computer.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 9:37:39 AM

Rgds
Poltonis

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" wrote:

> >> Do you have a network hub or a broadband router? The setup is quite
> >> different for those devices. What's the make and model of your
> >> device?
> >>
> >> If you have a broadband router, run XP's Network Setup Wizard on both
> >> computers. The Wizard will make all the necessary settings for
> >> sharing Internet access, files and printers. If the Wizard detects
> >> the router's shared Internet connection, tell it to use that
> >> connection. Otherwise, tell it that the computers connect to the
> >> Internet through a residential gateway.
> >>
> >> If you have a hub, the setup depends on how many IP addresses you get
> >> from your cable Internet provider.
> >>
> >> If you have a hub and one IP address, connect the cable connection
> >> directly to one computer and use Internet Connection Sharing to give
> >> access to the other one. I've written a web page with details:
> >>
> >> Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
> >> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics
> >>
> >> If you have a hub and multiple IP addresses, the setup is more
> >> complicated. Details to follow if requested.
> >
> >Hello again Steve
> >
> >My son (who is a bit more savvy than me) have confirmed that we have the
> >"more complicated setup" :hub and multiple IP addresses ( no wonder I
> >couldn't get it working!)
> >The IP addresses are assigned automatically by our Cable Interent Provider.
> >
> >Please send us the details you mentioned.
> >
> >Best Wishes
> >Poltonis
>
> Hello again, Poltonis. OK, here are the details. They apply to a
> network setup where multiple computers receive individual public IP
> addresses from a broadband provider through a network hub or switch.
> They don't apply to the simpler and more common network setup where
> multiple computers share a single public IP address through a
> broadband router.
>
> On each computer, install the IPX/SPX protocol for file sharing and
> disable file sharing on TCP/IP. I've written a web page showing how
> to do it:
>
> Windows XP Network Protocols
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/network_...
>
> There are two reasons to use IPX/SPX instead of TCP/IP for file
> sharing with this setup:
>
> 1. If your cable or DSL provider assigns IP addresses in different
> subnets to your computers, it isn't possible for them to communicate
> with each other using TCP/IP.
>
> 2. Since your computers connect directly to the Internet through the
> cable or DSL modem, they receive public IP addresses that are
> accessible by everyone on the Internet. Using TCP/IP for file sharing
> could let other people access your shared files.
>
> Be sure to run a firewall on each computer.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

OK Steve: will be working on it. When it comes through, I'll let you know.
Meantime, thanks!

Poltonis
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 1:33:23 PM

Poltonis wrote:
> Hi
>
> My son and I share an "Always On" Cable Internet connection through a 4-port
> hub and cable Network. I want the two computers to connect "locally" and
> share Files, printers and a scanner (without scarificing the internet
> sharing).
> My efforts on creating this connection were, so far, fruitless.
> As I am not technically inclined, "how-to" sites would be of great assistance.
>
> Thanks
> Poltonis
>
> Details of the two System:
> Intel Pentiums IIIE, 650 MHz
> Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
> Network Card CNet Pro200 PCI Ethernet Adaptor
> 448 MB (SDRAM)
> BIOS Award Software International, Inc.
> Video RADEON 7000 SERIES(64 MB)
> USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB

On the WinXP computers, create local user account(s), with non-blank
password(s), that have the desired access privileges to the desired
shares. Log on to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be
able to access the designated shares, provided your network is
configured properly. Also, if running WinXP SP1 or later, make sure
that WinXP's built-in firewall is disabled on the internal LAN
connection. If using WinXP SP2, make sure that you've either disabled
the built-in firewall, or set the firewall to allow file and print sharing.

Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

Home Networking
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/hom...

Networking Information
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm

PracticallyNetworked Home
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm

Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:13:08 PM

Rgds
Poltonis

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> Poltonis wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > My son and I share an "Always On" Cable Internet connection through a 4-port
> > hub and cable Network. I want the two computers to connect "locally" and
> > share Files, printers and a scanner (without scarificing the internet
> > sharing).
> > My efforts on creating this connection were, so far, fruitless.
> > Can someone point me in the right direction?
> > As I am not technically inclined, "how-to" sites would be of great assistance.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Poltonis
> >
> > Details of the two System:
> > Intel Pentiums IIIE, 650 MHz
> > Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
> > Network Card CNet Pro200 PCI Ethernet Adaptor
> > 448 MB (SDRAM)
> > BIOS Award Software International, Inc.
> > Video RADEON 7000 SERIES(64 MB)
> > USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB
>

> On the WinXP computers, create local user account(s), with non-blank
> password(s), that have the desired access privileges to the desired
> shares. Log on to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be
> able to access the designated shares, provided your network is
> configured properly. Also, if running WinXP SP1 or later, make sure
> that WinXP's built-in firewall is disabled on the internal LAN
> connection. If using WinXP SP2, make sure that you've either disabled
> the built-in firewall, or set the firewall to allow file and print sharing.
>
> Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
> almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
> easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:
>
> Home Networking
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/hom...
>
> Networking Information
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm
>
> PracticallyNetworked Home
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm
>
> Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ
> http://www.bcmaven.com/networking/faq.htm
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Thanks Bruce: still struggling with it, I'm afraid.
One PC (SP1) "sees" the network connections, the other (SP2) a blank.

Poltonis
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 1:03:47 AM

If you have a msn messenger enabled address (i.e. any hotmail address) then
add me into your contact list. This sort of thing is best handled with
instant messages than delayed newsgroups

my email address is underneath in my signature

Jayso

Please reply to this email so I know if i'm right :)

Good in Home Networking, XP Home based problems, and Pro based Problems
Add my email to MSN Messenger if u wish
jayso_chinnery@spamfreehotmail.com.au (remove spamfree)

"Poltonis" <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> My son and I share an "Always On" Cable Internet connection through a
> 4-port
> hub and cable Network. I want the two computers to connect "locally" and
> share Files, printers and a scanner (without scarificing the internet
> sharing).
> My efforts on creating this connection were, so far, fruitless.
> As I am not technically inclined, "how-to" sites would be of great
> assistance.
>
> Thanks
> Poltonis
>
> Details of the two System:
> Intel Pentiums IIIE, 650 MHz
> Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
> Network Card CNet Pro200 PCI Ethernet Adaptor
> 448 MB (SDRAM)
> BIOS Award Software International, Inc.
> Video RADEON 7000 SERIES(64 MB)
> USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB

August 15, 2005 1:03:48 AM

In article <Of$W2$LoFHA.3316@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Jayso"
<jayso_chinnery@hotmail.com> wrote:
>"Poltonis" <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> My son and I share an "Always On" Cable Internet connection through a
>> 4-port
>> hub and cable Network. I want the two computers to connect "locally" and
>> share Files, printers and a scanner (without scarificing the internet
>> sharing).
>> My efforts on creating this connection were, so far, fruitless.
>> Can someone point me in the right direction?
>> As I am not technically inclined, "how-to" sites would be of great
>> assistance.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Poltonis
>>
>> Details of the two System:
>> Intel Pentiums IIIE, 650 MHz
>> Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
>> Network Card CNet Pro200 PCI Ethernet Adaptor
>> 448 MB (SDRAM)
>> BIOS Award Software International, Inc.
>> Video RADEON 7000 SERIES(64 MB)
>> USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB
>
>If you have a msn messenger enabled address (i.e. any hotmail address) then
>add me into your contact list. This sort of thing is best handled with
>instant messages than delayed newsgroups. [snip]

With all due respect, Jayso, I think that this problem is best handled
in this newsgroup. Poltonis posted the original question here, I've
been replying here, and other people all over the world can take part
in the discussion, help each other, and learn.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 1:03:49 AM

Whilst thanking you for your interest Jayso, I fully endorse what Steve has
asserted.
In this way, others can benefit from this wealth of knowledge. ( I myself
did a " search" before posting further questions on the matter.)
--
Rgds
Poltonis

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" wrote:

> In article <Of$W2$LoFHA.3316@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Jayso"
> <jayso_chinnery@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >"Poltonis" <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> wrote in message
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> My son and I share an "Always On" Cable Internet connection through a
> >> 4-port
> >> hub and cable Network. I want the two computers to connect "locally" and
> >> share Files, printers and a scanner (without scarificing the internet
> >> sharing).
> >> My efforts on creating this connection were, so far, fruitless.
> >> Can someone point me in the right direction?
> >> As I am not technically inclined, "how-to" sites would be of great
> >> assistance.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Poltonis
> >>
> >> Details of the two System:
> >> Intel Pentiums IIIE, 650 MHz
> >> Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
> >> Network Card CNet Pro200 PCI Ethernet Adaptor
> >> 448 MB (SDRAM)
> >> BIOS Award Software International, Inc.
> >> Video RADEON 7000 SERIES(64 MB)
> >> USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB
> >
> >If you have a msn messenger enabled address (i.e. any hotmail address) then
> >add me into your contact list. This sort of thing is best handled with
> >instant messages than delayed newsgroups. [snip]
>
> With all due respect, Jayso, I think that this problem is best handled
> in this newsgroup. Poltonis posted the original question here, I've
> been replying here, and other people all over the world can take part
> in the discussion, help each other, and learn.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 6:58:19 AM

In article <27B5F10C-42CF-4339-9D5F-EA9B1035D488@microsoft.com>,
"Poltonis" <Evenstar@Fastweb.net> wrote:
>Yes Steve, the test account is working perfectly on the two PCs.
>It's only on my PC (1) that the other two Administrative Accounts can't log
>on.
>I rechecked the settings as you directed and both Admin Accounts are listed
>under the Administrators Group.
>
>Regards
>Poltonis

I suspect that something's wrong with the user account and group
settings, and I'm not sure what it is. Please see if this article
helps:

Windows XP Professional File Sharing
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_fileshar...
--