Whenever I get a program hanging I try End task in Taskmanager. More often
than not it has no effect and I have to use the Poweroff button.
Is there a solution or is this something I have to live with?
Martynz

Hi Martynz,

That sort of behavior would lead me to think that either you have a hardware
problem or some malware on the system. Hanging, or freezing, can be caused
by either. I would start by using these to scan the system:

AdawareII www.lavasoft.de
Spybot www.safer-networking.org

And also read:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=827315

If that turns up clean, then run a full system scan in safe mode with an
updated antivirus program. Free virus removal tools:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/8/lng/us/tpl/v5/nid/3001#3001
http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml

Also, you may use this free on-line scanner:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

How to start in Safe mode:
http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

In case you get stuck:

Emergency system tools:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_emerutils.htm

If all is clean, then you may want to start checking for physical problems
with the system. The two most common problems are failing/flakey ram and
hard drive deterioration. For the latter, download a diagnostic utility from
the manufacturer of the hard drive. These free utilities can tell you the
state of the drive and whether or not it's a candidate for replacement. If
you want to check the memory, there are free programs here:

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

While not perfect, the software diagnosis' are usually pretty good.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone