jaythaman

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
Ok i have this Duron 600Mhz with me. It was running fine until one day left it on in the suspend mode and went to sleep. After i woke up i could smell something hot/kinda like burning. I'm not sure if it's my proc. The system was hung up and the case light was blinking and none of the restart or Power buttons were working. So i had to shut off the power supply. Now it wont POST. :( A little help might be useful. And oh ask anything else that i may have left out. I'll check the proc by puttin it into my friends puter later today and keep you updated....but before that ....There isnt any risk for my friends mobo is there??
THANX

<b><font color=blue>Algebra was easy for the Romans because "X" was always 10 :lol: </b></font color=blue>
<font color=red>Jay Kay</font color=red>

soulprovider

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
It's possible that theres a setting in the BIOS which was set to turn off the CPU fan in suspend mode. This usually isn't a problem as the CPU gives off little heat in that state but maybe Windows had a problem suspending so kept the CPU running.

If you're going to remove to CPU to test in another system then look at it's core which will be none too pretty if it burned up. In that case there'll be little point testing it but you might be unlucky enough to have the ZIF socket melted too - you'll have a little difficulty removing the CPU if this is the case.

Hope I'm wrong anyhow.

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>

jaythaman

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
Umm i checked it up but it doesnt really look all meleted up and stuff, Prolly a bit black but i dont really know coz i havent really experimented with this proc. Should i do a bios reset and try again??

<b><font color=blue>Algebra was easy for the Romans because "X" was always 10 :lol: </b></font color=blue>
<font color=red>Jay Kay</font color=red>