Sign in with
Your question

Clone SSD disk won't boot

Last response: in Windows 7
October 23, 2012 6:18:09 PM

Hello,
The clone disk won't boot after clone using Ghost version 11.Tthe source disk is 146GB SSD and the clone disk is 256GB SSD

More about : clone ssd disk boot

October 23, 2012 6:30:22 PM

Windows 7? If it is you need to clone the whole drive, not just the os partition. Windows 7 creates a small boot partition when installed and won't work without it.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 23, 2012 6:30:46 PM

Ghost 11 isn't compatible with Windows 7.
m
l
Related resources
October 23, 2012 8:55:12 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
Ghost 11 isn't compatible with Windows 7.

It should just clone the drive regardless of what is on it, not sure which version of ghost I use in work tbh, will have to check tomorrow.

Are we talking about the version of ghost you install? or the boot disc version? I use a boot disc myself.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 23, 2012 8:58:27 PM

bumnut53 said:
It should just clone the drive regardless of what is on it, not sure which version of ghost I use in work tbh, will have to check tomorrow.

Are we talking about the version of ghost you install? or the boot disc version? I use a boot disc myself.

Ghost 11 is not capable of successfully cloning a Windows 7 drive. This is straight from Symantec.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 23, 2012 9:02:26 PM

I have used Acronis True Image Home to successfully clone Windows 7 boot drives several times, typically when going from a HDD to a SSD, or one SSD to a bigger SSD. The only failures I had were when one of the drives was defective.
m
l
October 23, 2012 9:22:43 PM

Clonezilla works well for cloning Windows 7.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 23, 2012 9:24:35 PM

Do you get an error?

I have seen in some occasion cloning not booting because the boot partition is looking for the old drive(I forget the error it gives when booting).

The Win7 discs startup repair option will fix it for you(only have the new drive connected and give it a try).
m
l
October 24, 2012 8:31:30 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
Ghost 11 is not capable of successfully cloning a Windows 7 drive. This is straight from Symantec.

I think bumnut53 is right about ghost version 11 let me clone Windows 7 disk OK without any error. For because it not support clone windows 7 cause clone disk cannot boot it ? I am not sure.
m
l
October 24, 2012 8:39:07 PM

nukemaster said:
Do you get an error?

I have seen in some occasion cloning not booting because the boot partition is looking for the old drive(I forget the error it gives when booting).

The Win7 discs startup repair option will fix it for you(only have the new drive connected and give it a try).

No I don't have any error, but the BIOS or GPT has not recognized it as a boot disk. The Pc list the disk at the SATA configuration.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 24, 2012 11:56:15 PM

Strange.

Well it may be worth trying something else like this.

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-so...

They also have a very good program to re-size partitions(for those times when windows will not give you the size you want.) Also good for shrinking down Windows when cloning from a large HDD to SSD

http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm

You still may need to use the windows DVD to do a startup repair in some cases, but it takes no time.
m
l
!