Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Dell Dimension 8400 motherboard uppgrade

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
July 8, 2012 7:02:34 AM

Hi, I would like to change the main Components in my dell dimenson 8400 and thinking of using ASUS P8B75-M, Socket-1155 as a new motherboard. Does anyone know if it or Another one will fit without to much hastle?

Thanks, Martin

Best solution

a c 151 V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 2:07:20 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
Way too much hassle. I don't want to rain on your parade but I do foresee some issues which will make a swap out somewhat tricky. The first issue I see is interface. Your optical drive and hard drive are IDE (PATA) while you new motherboard will be SATA - you will have to swap out the optical drive and the HDD. Your current ram is (at best) DDR2 and the new motherboard will require DDR3 - new ram needed. Your Power supply does not have SATA connectors to power the new optical drive and HDD so that will need replacing also... you've pretty much already done a new build here keeping only the Dell case (which is too small to work enjoyably in). Throw in a new case for $30-50 it's a whole new computer.
I should point out that I think the idea in and of itself is awesome but technology has conspired against it - Sorry to be the bearer...
Share
July 9, 2012 7:36:50 AM

Hi C12 and thanks for the answer.

The Think is that the board comes in a kit:
•660229 - Intel® Core i5-3450 Processor, Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.1Ghz, 6MB, Boxed w/fan
•749934 -ASUS P8B75-M, Socket-1155, m-ATX, B75, DDR3, 1xG3+1xG2-PCIe-x16, 2xPCI, VGA, DVI, HDMI, UEFI
•585022 - Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 8GB, Kit w/2X HyperX 4GB DDR3, CL9-9-9-27, 240pin
and it's only EUR240.
The HDD:s are already SATA so only the dvd drives need to be solved and i have Power converters from PATA to SATA.

What about the physical size and Connections would it fit? Any more issues you foresee?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 151 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 8:01:44 AM

ed9msi said:
Hi C12 and thanks for the answer.

The Think is that the board comes in a kit:
•660229 - Intel® Core i5-3450 Processor, Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.1Ghz, 6MB, Boxed w/fan
•749934 -ASUS P8B75-M, Socket-1155, m-ATX, B75, DDR3, 1xG3+1xG2-PCIe-x16, 2xPCI, VGA, DVI, HDMI, UEFI
•585022 - Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 8GB, Kit w/2X HyperX 4GB DDR3, CL9-9-9-27, 240pin
and it's only EUR240.
The HDD:s are already SATA so only the dvd drives need to be solved and i have Power converters from PATA to SATA.

What about the physical size and Connections would it fit? Any more issues you foresee?


You're doing good there, the motherboard should fit (tight). The only real concern I have left has to do with the PSU. I believe (am not sure) you have a 20 pin connector on your PSU, while your motherboard will want a 24 pin. You can use a 20 pin and it will work (I have been told) but you may want to upgrade your PSU sometime soon.
Looks to be interesting.
m
0
l
July 12, 2012 7:10:42 AM

Thanks again, so you think the 20 pin connector will fit in the 24 pin connector in the motherboard or do i need a converter. What about the PSU, do you think it's possible to mount a standard one in the Dell chassi, normally Dell have some funny ways of mounting their PSU:s?
m
0
l
a c 151 V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 7:37:38 AM

ed9msi said:
Thanks again, so you think the 20 pin connector will fit in the 24 pin connector in the motherboard or do i need a converter. What about the PSU, do you think it's possible to mount a standard one in the Dell chassi, normally Dell have some funny ways of mounting their PSU:s?


Yep, here's a link that explains the different connectors - about half way down is the 20 and 24 pin explaination
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors....
You can ignore the part about Dell's propriety PSU's since your model is newer than 12 years old
I was wondering about the PSU size but it appears to be a standard ATX so an equivilent wattage PSU should fit... but wait, I found out more here...
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dim8400/S...
go to "System Board" you'll see that they have a very strange motherboard mounting system - that could prove to be problematic if the OEM mobo isn't a standardized uATX - plus no standoffs that I can see - very strange indeed. I will admit now that the mobo mounting system there gives me the creeps - are you sure you want to reuse that case? NM me, it's your build. I also just realized it is the whole tray that removes when they say system board (I hope)
m
0
l
July 19, 2012 7:10:10 AM

Thanks a lot for your help C12. The powersupply in the dell is 24 pin so no problem, however the MB is a completely different one and a very funny mount just like you say, also the PSU is 350W only. I bought a nice mini tower including a 480W PSU for EUR 43:- instead and i'm very happy with the performance of the computer, I put in 16GB memory, an SSD disc and an arctic cooler so you can't even hear that the PC is running. I must say for 550 EUR it's a real bargain.
m
0
l
July 19, 2012 7:12:12 AM

Best answer selected by ed9msi.
m
0
l
a c 151 V Motherboard
July 19, 2012 7:28:53 AM

ed9msi said:
Thanks a lot for your help C12. The powersupply in the dell is 24 pin so no problem, however the MB is a completely different one and a very funny mount just like you say, also the PSU is 350W only. I bought a nice mini tower including a 480W PSU for EUR 43:- instead and i'm very happy with the performance of the computer, I put in 16GB memory, an SSD disc and an arctic cooler so you can't even hear that the PC is running. I must say for 550 EUR it's a real bargain.


Nice, Enjoy much and thanks for the BA
m
0
l
!