OfficeJet 7310 Uninstaller problems

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I have had a lot of problems with the OfficeJet 7310xi uninstaller.
Here are some notes to myself on how I finally got things to work.
I figure they might be of interest to somebody else.

--

Uninstaller instructions.

Uninstall ALL HP software gently using Add/Remove Programs.
Run the downloaded uninstaller for this product from the HP web site.

These uninstallers will fail.
I have seen complaints about applications (e.g. HPZscr01.exe) accessing
memory location 0.
I have seen complaints about regedit not being able to import files
(e.g. hpofax.reg) into the registry.

Residue left from these failed uninstallers will affect subsequent
installations.
So, perform some heavy-handed removal manually.
Remove "HP" and "Hewlett-Packard" where you find them in the following
places:

In the file system, using Windows Explorer:
C:\Program Files\
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\

In the registry, using regedit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\

I am not sure that all of the above is necessary but it shouldn't hurt
because all HP software was removed (as best we could).
This should just finish the job.

I know that failure to remove the registry keys will result in a failed
install the next time.
Some symptoms are:
1. The installer will not automatically detect and add a network printer
2. Running the installer again to add the printer will work ... almost.
3. The printer will be added but there will be no printer specific
Start menu.
4. Launching HP Director will say "A Runtime Error has occurred. Do you
wish to Debug?" and HP Director will come up crippled.