Seeking Most Cost-Effective Printer/Copier/Scanner For Home Use

mrharmreduction

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Hello. I am in search of a Printer that meets these criteria: :bounce:
1. Home use - but daily use. I print about 25pgs/day.
2. Cheapest Ink refills possible! I'm tired of handing HP $25 a cartridge.
3. Print quality is of secondary importance to price. (I have I second printer that could do color photos).
4. Want a printer/copier/scanner/Combo if possible but will consider other if I have to.
5. Need to be able to use with Windows 7.
I also appreciate in tips on cheap printer Ink refills for said printer or HP Desket 5440, Officejet 4110!
Thanks as I bet others can benefit from this too since ink is so pricey :eek:

scristaldi

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
I sure wish someone would answer your question because I have the same one. Tired of HP Canon and Lexmark with their ink usage and ink costs. Looked at some Kodak with their ink advertising but keep seeing reviews of poor construction. Lexmark has come out with new ink prices but their printers prices are relatively high and have not had time to put out a lot of models and no reviews.

mrharmreduction

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009

I have taken an alternative route: dumped the "ink jet" printers altogether. I now use a laser printer. You can get 2500-5000 pages per toner cartridge! This is the model I bought for $79.99 during a Shellshocker sale:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828102029
You can also get the toner for $29.99 right there at Newegg at it does 2500 pages - you can't beat that, plus you can conserve the ink and stretch that much further than 2500. It goes on sale often, but there are others that are affordable too. Laser printers are too affordable now to pass up, and their ink is much cheaper on a per pg. cost basis. Hope that helps and let me know what you decide.

mrharmreduction

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009

I have taken an alternative route: dumped the "ink jet" printers altogether. I now use a laser printer. You can get 2500-5000 pages per toner cartridge! This is the model I bought for $79.99 during a Shellshocker sale:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6828102029
You can also get the toner for $29.99 right there at Newegg at it does 2500 pages - you can't beat that, plus you can conserve the ink and stretch that much further than 2500. It goes on sale often, but there are others that are affordable too. Laser printers are too affordable now to pass up, and their ink is much cheaper on a per pg. cost basis. Hope that helps and let me know what you decide.

printerman

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011

CHEAP!! colour laser, Samsung.
inkjet cartridges use 2 shot glasses of ink, approx. More expensive than gas.

go toner...its a powder, last longer. and you have a draft mode.

mrharmreduction

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009

I started this thread, so I thought you would be interested to further hear what I've done. I bought this:

A Canon laser printer, no longer in production, but there's a good catch to this!

In fact, NewEgg still sells the toner (they sell a lot of it and the Rosewill home brand has worked well for me). I'm averaging 5000 copies at around $20 bucks! There is a catch though, make no mistake about it! I do less than 10000 copies a year, so I have the time to wait for NewEgg to run a special, buy one get one free, eg., was the last special. I've seen them regularly run 40% off Toner, too.

Bottom line, if you want to seriously cheapen your ink costs, buy a LaseR printer, and do the bulk of your printing with it. Then, take your HP, whatever, and only use it for photos, etc., and for color printing.

I have reduced my bill by way more than 50%, plus the only irritant is having two machines. Quality laser printers that use toner are very cheap now.

Hope this helps!

Maurice Visser

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
I hear your pain- paying those inflated prices for name brand ink and toner is very hard on the wallet. You can find off brand ink and toner for almost every Printer brand at my fav online supplier Peachtree Ink - look it up on Google. The cost of ink and toner is amazing and for those that like the Black and white only of a laser printer - check out their highest performer HP64X cartridge that prints seven pages for a cent (B&W only) Now thats for nothing. Its like .013c per page if I have my zeros correct. There are a lot of good deals around, folks, you just need to know where to look.