Startuo Error:- SHELL32.dll,MSGINA.dll

Hi There,

My sister in law is running Windows XP with SP2.

When she turned on her PC this morning it came up with the error that the 2
files shell32 and msgina.dll were unable to be found or corrupted, how is it
that she was able to use the PC last night but today it will not bootup?.

Can i fix this without having to do a full restore because that would mean i
would need to put all the applications and drivers back on which would take
ages.

Could you please tell me how to fix this.
--
Cheers

Graeme Anderson

Hi,

Boot the system and hit F8 as soon as the POST has completed and before
Windows begins to load. This should produce a boot menu, choose "safe mode
with command prompt". See if this mode will load (it should as you are not
using the GUI at this point). If so, assuming that she has installed a
service pack, run these from the prompt:

copy /y %windir%\servicepackfiles\I386\shell32.dll %windir%\system32
copy /y %windir%\servicepackfiles\I386\msgina.dll %windir%\system32

Then restart the system. If she cannot load this mode, then this can be done
by booting the WinXP CD and loading the Recovery Console.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP [Q307654]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

If she does not have a WinXP CD (common with preinstalled machines), then it
can also be accomplished using the boot floppy set that loads a limited
version of the recovery console.

Using the WinXP Boot floppy set:
http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Boot%20floppy

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Graeme Anderson" <GraemeAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2F36C6E2-5DD0-47CF-8B4B-2DD2E60243A0@microsoft.com...
> Hi There,
>
> My sister in law is running Windows XP with SP2.
>
> When she turned on her PC this morning it came up with the error that the
> 2
> files shell32 and msgina.dll were unable to be found or corrupted, how is
> it
> that she was able to use the PC last night but today it will not bootup?.
>
> Can i fix this without having to do a full restore because that would mean
> would need to put all the applications and drivers back on which would
> take
> ages.
>
> Could you please tell me how to fix this.
> --
> Cheers
>
> Graeme Anderson

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the help, do i enter both the commands as they are written down,
including the " % " symbols ?
--
Cheers

Graeme Anderson

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Boot the system and hit F8 as soon as the POST has completed and before
> Windows begins to load. This should produce a boot menu, choose "safe mode
> with command prompt". See if this mode will load (it should as you are not
> using the GUI at this point). If so, assuming that she has installed a
> service pack, run these from the prompt:
>
> copy /y %windir%\servicepackfiles\I386\shell32.dll %windir%\system32
> copy /y %windir%\servicepackfiles\I386\msgina.dll %windir%\system32
>
> Then restart the system. If she cannot load this mode, then this can be done
> by booting the WinXP CD and loading the Recovery Console.
>
> HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP [Q307654]
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654
>
> If she does not have a WinXP CD (common with preinstalled machines), then it
> can also be accomplished using the boot floppy set that loads a limited
> version of the recovery console.
>
> Using the WinXP Boot floppy set:
> http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Boot%20floppy
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Graeme Anderson" <GraemeAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:2F36C6E2-5DD0-47CF-8B4B-2DD2E60243A0@microsoft.com...
> > Hi There,
> >
> > My sister in law is running Windows XP with SP2.
> >
> > When she turned on her PC this morning it came up with the error that the
> > 2
> > files shell32 and msgina.dll were unable to be found or corrupted, how is
> > it
> > that she was able to use the PC last night but today it will not bootup?.
> >
> > Can i fix this without having to do a full restore because that would mean
> > would need to put all the applications and drivers back on which would
> > take
> > ages.
> >
> > Could you please tell me how to fix this.
> > --
> > Cheers
> >
> > Graeme Anderson

Hi,

Yes, though you can subsitute the actual path. The %windir% part is a
variable, in most systems this would be C:\Windows. The variable will work
in any system regardless of the Windows folder designation (not all use
C:\Windows).

--

message news:3FADB886-86D7-4113-ADDB-9D1AAC71B3EC@microsoft.com...

Graeme Anderson wrote:

> Hi Rick,
>
> Thanks for the help, do i enter both the commands as they
> are written down, including the " % " symbols ?
Hi,

Yes, run them exactly as Rick posted it, including the " % " symbols.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: