Transfer of Windows 7 to new SSD

kieranO

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
Now i know literally nothing about computers, i currently have a new computer on its way to me and i shall be ordering the SSD in a couple weeks (after the computer arrives) the OS comes pre-installed on the HDD thats in it so i want to transfer the OS from the HDD thats preinstalled to the SSD (dont want all the pictures etc on there), I've been looking around and ill say now i dont know what partitions cleaning etc is so need simple english and direct links etc please :/ and thanks in advance!!!

Solution
Was just looking. Bit confusing the way they are set out. Generally go for the most recent,and the one that suits your OS. The main ones are Chipset, VGA (If you're using the onboard GPU) Audio, LAN, USB. Should fit on your stick Don't worry if you get a driver wrong, it will soon tell you, just try another... Dowload your Manual at some point and browse through the different Utilities. Main one is the BIOS update to keep your BIOS up to the latest release, but that's for the future. Perhaps you'll be provided with a System disk for the Motherboard, advise you to load drivers indivdually or you'll end up with a lot of unwanted software..

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
Download Clonezilla
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/clonezilla/clonezilla_live_alternative/20120620-precise/clonezilla-live-20120620-precise.iso?r=http%3A%2F%2Fsourceforge.net%2Fprojects%2Fclonezilla%2Ffiles%2Fclonezilla_live_stable%2F1.2.12-67%2F&ts=1351023127&use_mirror=superb-dca3

Burn it to a CD AS CD IMAGE!!!!! (do NOT just drag and drop)

Install new SSD into PC Case, with existing hardware.

Boot the PC to Clonezilla.

Follow on screen instructions to clone supplied HDD to SSD.
Make sure to select the HDD as the source and the SSD as the destination!

After cloning disks, try booting from the SSD.

This will NOT affect any of the files on the HDD, but should make an exact copy of them all to the SSD. You can do this at ANY point in time after getting ur new PC - you can set it up, work on it some, and even burn the clonezilla disk on it and you'll get an exact copy of the HDD from the time u perform the clone.

ram1009

Distinguished
You cannot transfer the OS only. If you wish to clone the drive you will get exactly that, a clone. I used a transfer kit from a company called Apricorn. Worked great. You may also want to consider buying a W7 disk for a fresh install of the OS only.

Yes. Good idea, then you can set up the SSD for maximum efficiency, installing only Windows and favourite Apps/Games. You'll need to go to PC Manufacturer's website to download and install drivers though.
Follow this guide to best set up your SSD. Probably best to install to SSD with HDD disconnected, then connect later and format.
http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

AND make sure your licence number is on a sticker on the Case, if not you'll need to retrieve it before cleaning the HDD...

kieranO

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
so if i was to go through with that and put it straight onto the SSD get drivers from pc manufacturers website=? its a customised pc so i have no idea on that

also u said about cleaning the HDD can i delete the OS from the HDD and leave the other files on there or will i need to get externalHD to move the stuff i wish to keep from the HDD with the OS preinstalled then clean the HDD and put the stuff i want back on it, because when the new computer arrives ill be using windows easy transfer to move the files from my old XP to the new Win7, but obviously wont be getting the SSD for a couple weeks later.

kieranO

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
ok seen as tho this seems t be such a hassle haha im going to buy the solid state drive NOW so it will be here for when the computer arrives, ill do fresh install onto the SSD wipe the 1tb HDD and then transfer all the stuff from my old pc to the new 1tb HDD and ill just get the graphics card in a months time (gotta save up for it) this seems like the easiest way to do things cuz trying to get clones etc blah blah=confusing hahaha

kieranO

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
The mother board model is the: ASUS P8Z77-M, so i just have to go to BIOS-> sataport and change the option from IDE/AHCI/RAID etc to AHCI before installing the OS, is there anything else i should do before installing?

Not a lot. Meantime go to Asus and download all the drivers you need and save them to an external device, then everything will be to hand when your installation is complete. Copy the driver files to your desktop,they'll load quicker. You'll need Antivirus, I've been trying out M'soft Security essentials on a few machines, no complaints so far. Perform the tweaks to ensure you get the best from your SSD and you're off...

Was just looking. Bit confusing the way they are set out. Generally go for the most recent,and the one that suits your OS. The main ones are Chipset, VGA (If you're using the onboard GPU) Audio, LAN, USB. Should fit on your stick Don't worry if you get a driver wrong, it will soon tell you, just try another... Dowload your Manual at some point and browse through the different Utilities. Main one is the BIOS update to keep your BIOS up to the latest release, but that's for the future. Perhaps you'll be provided with a System disk for the Motherboard, advise you to load drivers indivdually or you'll end up with a lot of unwanted software..

Solution

kieranO

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
ok thanks ill get back to you on this when i get the computer, and yea i will be using the onboard gpu for about a month so thanks for that!!!
the files download at zip files, so do i just highlight and drag it all to the USB stick or do i have to extract everything there?

kieranO

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
there were 2 usb things a usb driver and controller driver? i downloaded both and i got also the audio graphics thing LAN and chipset and extracting them from zip to the usb stick

kieranO

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
i just have to run the .exe files?
meh the usb stick got full b4 i cud even put on the graphics/chipset but ill just install these ones, delete and then do them when i got space

kieranO

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
dont even know what that means so no i shall not be enterprising XD wish me luck! haha get bak to u in 2weeks time when the comp arrives, i ordered a anti static wristband jsut cuz i dont wana break £500 worth of gpu+SSD hahahha

Just buy a blank CD, put all the drivers in one folder, CD in drive, Right click on the folder (which you named 'Drivers', right?) and choose 'Send to' and DVD RW, you will then be able to burn the folder to your CD, and have it handy should you wish to re-install Windows at any time...