Sign in with
Your question

Questions about buying Windows 7 before Windows 8 is released

Last response: in Windows 7
October 23, 2012 8:30:11 PM

I've seen lots of threads around the net where people are buying extra Windows 7 licenses because they don't want to use Windows 8 when it's released and I have a few questions about that...

What does it mean when you have more than 1 license? I mean if I purchase Windows 7 does that mean I can only install it once? Because I've had Windows XP now for about 10 years and done a bunch of clean installs over the years and I never needed any extra licenses. So I'm interested in knowing what the extra licenses are for and any information surrounding them would be really helpful.

Can I buy a Windows 7 disc after Windows 8 is released?

Can I buy Windows 7 licenses after Windows 8 is released?

How much do Windows 7 licenses cost and where do you buy them from?

Will Windows 7 licenses last forever?

Can I install Windows 7 on multiple computers with 1 disc and multiple licenses? Or do I need multiple discs and multiple licenses?

Do 32bit and 64bit versions of Windows 7 come on the same disc? If I purchase Windows 7 do I get to choose which version to install, either 32bit or 64bit?

I'm not sure how this works so forgive my ignorance...But is it possible to purchase a Windows 7 disc second hand? Is that allowed? If so please let me know how it works with any licenses and codes attached to a second hand disc.

What is the difference between Windows 7 Full OEM Version and the Regular Windows 7 disc?

thank you for any help!!!
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 23, 2012 9:44:47 PM

Hi :) 

Answers in order...

YES
YES
GOOGLE
YES IF UNUSED
FAMILY PACK, 3 MACHINES 1 KEY
YES IF RETAIL AND YES
NO ILLEGAL TO USE
OEM LOCKED TO 1 MOTHERBOARD , RETAIL MORE EXPENSIVE and can be transferred to another machine if first machine is scrapped...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a c 416 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 23, 2012 10:00:27 PM

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
October 23, 2012 11:14:51 PM

I'm not so sure that purchasing used copies of Windows is illegal, especially following the European Court of Justice ruling in July that declares that software/licenses can be resold as "used".

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9228762/EU_court...

Edit:- Of course that would likely only apply when buying the used license through a seller in an EU member state, the EUJ like sticking it to MS and other monopolising overlords, and rightly so. Hopefully we'll see an EU antitrust case brought against Windows 8 and the "all new" Windows Defender.
m
l
October 25, 2012 2:39:01 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Answers in order...

YES
YES
GOOGLE
YES IF UNUSED
FAMILY PACK, 3 MACHINES 1 KEY
YES IF RETAIL AND YES
NO ILLEGAL TO USE
OEM LOCKED TO 1 MOTHERBOARD , RETAIL MORE EXPENSIVE and can be transferred to another machine if first machine is scrapped...

All the best Brett :) 

I'm really confused about what questions you're answering to when you just wrote out all your answers like that. I'm scrolling back up to my original post and it is hard to figure out what you're replying to. My first question was asking what the extra licenses are for and why people are buying extra licenses. But from your very first answer you answered yes to that :/  It wasn't really a yes or no answer so it's hard to understand.

I guess my main concerns are...Can I buy a Windows 7 Full Professional Disc after Windows 8 is released? And can I buy extra licenses after Windows 8 is released? Where is the least expensive place to purchase Windows 7 Full Professional Disc?
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2012 4:58:08 PM

darkstar2010 said:
I've seen lots of threads around the net where people are buying extra Windows 7 licenses because they don't want to use Windows 8 when it's released and I have a few questions about that...

[What does it mean when you have more than 1 license?]
Means you can run more than 1 installations of the software concurrently.

[I mean if I purchase Windows 7 does that mean I can only install it once?]
If you buy only a single license, yes.

[Because I've had Windows XP now for about 10 years and done a bunch of clean installs over the years and I never needed any extra licenses.]
You can install it as many times as you like, the license restricts how many installations can run concurrently.

[Can I buy a Windows 7 disc after Windows 8 is released?]
While suppliers have a stock yes

[Can I buy Windows 7 licenses after Windows 8 is released?]
Once the supply of 7 has run out you will still be able to run a correctly licensed Windows 7 even though you will have bought Windows 8 through the "Downgrade Rights" clause of the EULA, this right however sometimes depends on the version of the newest OS you have bought, e.g OEM or Retail or VL. This will also require Windows 7 installation media. While I am not 100% sure this is in Windows 8 it has always been a feature of past agreements.

[How much do Windows 7 licenses cost and where do you buy them from?]
Depends on the version and type, Volume Licenses need to be purchased through a recognised MS Partner AFAIK, also with volume licences the more you buy the cheaper it is per unit.

[Will Windows 7 licenses last forever?]
Again depends on the version but generally yes. (Excludes OEM)

[Can I install Windows 7 on multiple computers with 1 disc and multiple licenses? Or do I need multiple discs and multiple licenses?]
Yes you can install it on as many computers as you are licensed for from a single disk, from a network source, or from an imaging/distribution application/service.

[Do 32bit and 64bit versions of Windows 7 come on the same disc?]
No separate disks

[If I purchase Windows 7 do I get to choose which version to install, either 32bit or 64bit?]
Only if you have purchased retail or VL versions, OEM must be chosen at the time of purchase.

[I'm not sure how this works so forgive my ignorance...But is it possible to purchase a Windows 7 disc second hand? Is that allowed?If so please let me know how it works with any licenses and codes attached to a second hand disc.]
After my first reply I actually looked at the Windows 7 Pro EULA, Clause 18 of the agreement states that you are allowed to transfer the license to a third party providing that the original media, COA, Product Key and proof of purchase are transferred. However the ECJ ruling would trump any restriction in the EULA if there was one.

[What is the difference between Windows 7 Full OEM Version and the Regular Windows 7 disc?]
OEM is locked to the first computer it is installed on, you can upgrade every part of the PC except the motherboard, if the motherboard is changed the OS overlords at M$ insist you buy another copy of their lovely software that you had paid for previously. Retail and VL versions are transferable.

thank you for any help!!!
m
l
!