Dell Adamo... was my impulse buy a smart one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweeker

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
I just saw Tuesday's deals and a Dell Adamo 13.4 was on there for $899 (regularly $1499) and I have been looking for a laptop for a few months, so I had the cash to get one. Was it a good buy? I was looking to spend about $800 on a system that was portable, and would only be used for work (Opening .pdfs, Excel, Word) and web surfing. The only thing I am worried about is the 2 gig of ram as opposed to 4. (A link to the deal for those who didn't see the news article on Tuesday deals, Thanks THG!! http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Dell-Adamo-Pearl/product/D0288FB9 )

Did I make a good buy? Going to fill out the typical "form" for what I would of wanted before buying the Adamo, let me know if you think it matches

1_What is your budget?
Up to $800 or $900

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Smaller, 13 to 15"

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Not a huge factor, but something that would allow me open work documents (pdf, excel, word) and view them without much problem. Maybe 1500xwhateverish?)

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portable.

5_How much battery life do you need?
4 hours at least

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No games, just for work

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Excel, viewing pdfs that can be up to 1mb in size, or multiple word documents open at once

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Not a terrible amount, 50gig over whatever a windows installation takes

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
I don't care

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3 or 4 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Isn't required as everything will be done off usb, and on the rare occasion I need to install something from a disc, I can use external

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
No specific brands in mind. I've never owned a laptop so don't know whats good, and whats not

13_What country do you live in?
continental United States

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I want something thin, portable, has a decent battery life, and looks fairly good. I actually considered a Macbook Air, but decided against it because of price, and I'm not a big fan of Apple, or Mac OS

Ultimate_Destructo

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
you will need to post your computers specs. you can look them up online. oh what the hell
It has a 13.4-inch screen and is just .65 inches thick. It is available in silver aluminum and pearl finish or brushed onyx aluminum. Featuring a 1.2GHz Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB DDR3 800MHz RAM and 128GB SSD it may not be the fastest notebook available but it sure is powerful enough for most mobile needs. It features a machined, torsion-tested aluminum chassis, a full-size backlit keyboard, an ultra-compact power adapter, Windows 7 64-bit, Wireless-N, Bluetooth 2.1, Ethernet port and nearly 5 hours battery life.

so basically, you pay a huge premium for getting one that is so portable. it is energy efficient in everyway, from the ddr3 ram to the ssd (solid state drive) and the very low-clocked (but in other respects decent) processor. thats why its surprising that it only gets 5 hours battery life according to this website. i assume the resolution is 1366x768 or 1280x800 which would be ideal for such a small screen. it sounds like a good deal if it werent for the battery but you can always carry 2 which wouldnt be bad because they are probably tiny.

Ultimate_Destructo

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
one more thing, having over 2gb ram would only matter if you run intensive applications or have a bunch of users all logged in at once. oh wow the os is 64-bit, which uses more memory, but you could always buy 2x2gb of ram in a year or two when the price drops.

makotech222

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
that things a performance POS. That cpu will really bog you down if you want to do anything

I have a lenovo x200t and i get 9 hour battery life (maximum, usually aorund 6-7) with a 2ghz processor and a 7200rpm drive

sweeker

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Well, we will see! I hope it isn't too slow though. I'm just hopeful that the cpu will be good enough for the work related tasks it will be used for (viewing .pdfs, word documents and excel.) I also hope the SSD will help a bit with the speed.

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

sweeker

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Ohhh impulse buying, how evil it is. After reading a bit more about the Adamo, decided its not worth it. Going to send it back the second I get it. (Yay for free shipping?)

Have done a bit more research and I think I'm going with an Asus UL80VT instead. I have a feeling I will rest my hand on the touch pad a bit when typing, but I believe I'll get used to it and the switchable graphics, overlocking CPU, 4gig ram, and 10 hours of battery life just suond too good to pass up. I have heard the LCD is lacking a bit, but I'll survive :)

Thank you again for all of the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.