Free Space on Drives

I have little free space on my C drive, but loads on my D&E drives.

I don't want to risk moving programmes between drives. Is there anyway I
can move the spare capacity from my D&E drives to the C Drive?

Thankyou
--
Tommo
3 answers Last reply

    Tommo wrote:

    > I have little free space on my C drive, but loads on my D&E drives.
    >
    > I don't want to risk moving programmes between drives. Is there
    > anyway I can move the spare capacity from my D&E drives to the C
    > Drive?
    >
    > Thankyou

    Are the D and E drives two other physical hard drives or partitions? If
    the latter, you can use third-party partitioning software such as
    Partition Magic to merge partitions. You cannot do it natively in XP
    without destroying the data. If D and E are two other physical hard
    drives, then the answer is "no".

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Ah... the age old problem if running out of space on C drive when you have
    lots on other drives. Been there. A real PITA!

    First I would consider moving what data you could to the other drives (i.e.
    digital pictures, mp3s and other things that are big). Also, consider
    moving your Windows Pagefile to another drive.

    If that is not enough, here is what I would do next, and what I DID do
    recently...

    Buy a Maxtor 160GB drive for about $99.00. These drive prices are so damn
    cheap now it's hard to justify letting the space issue bug you! Install it.
    The Maxblast software that comes with it allows you to partition and format
    it into a data drive OR as a replacement for your present boot drive.
    Choose boot drive. The software will do the rest. When you are done you will
    have a "new" C drive with tons of extra space and you can then format the
    original C and use it for something else...

    Other manufacturers may also distribute this kind of software with their
    drives, but the only one I am currently familiar with is the Maxtor.

    -Frank

    "=?Utf-8?B?VG9tbW8=?=" <Tommo@discussions.microsoft.com> writes:
    >I have little free space on my C drive, but loads on my D&E drives.

    >I don't want to risk moving programmes between drives. Is there anyway I
    >can move the spare capacity from my D&E drives to the C Drive?

    The partition resizing that some have suggested is not without risk.
    I tried using Partition Magic to resize a couple of partitions and
    fought with it trying to make it work for a month before finally
    just reformatting the drive and reinstalling everything. It might
    work differently for others.

    Some other options.
    How big is your Temporary Internet Files space? If that is big
    enough and you are storing it on C: you can move that to D: or E:
    and that should be safe and get you C: space. This may or may not
    be enough to be worth the bother/risk. I believe you change the
    location using IE and one of the menus it has for options.

    Similarly with swap file space. But this might not be enough to
    make any difference.

    IF you have XP Pro then there is a feature that can let you map
    parts of one "drive" to be available and look like it is part of
    C: You don't actually do any moving, you just let XP simulate a
    larger C: that uses D: and/or E: as storage space. Never used it,
    imagine few ever have, don't know if it works dependably.

Free Space Microsoft Windows XP