Free Space on Drives

August 14, 2005 11:49:02 AM

I have little free space on my C drive, but loads on my D&E drives.

I don't want to risk moving programmes between drives. Is there anyway I
can move the spare capacity from my D&E drives to the C Drive?

Thankyou
--
Tommo

More about : free space drives

August 14, 2005 11:59:56 AM

Tommo wrote:

> I have little free space on my C drive, but loads on my D&E drives.
>
> I don't want to risk moving programmes between drives. Is there
> anyway I can move the spare capacity from my D&E drives to the C
> Drive?
>
> Thankyou

Are the D and E drives two other physical hard drives or partitions? If
the latter, you can use third-party partitioning software such as
Partition Magic to merge partitions. You cannot do it natively in XP
without destroying the data. If D and E are two other physical hard
drives, then the answer is "no".

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Ah... the age old problem if running out of space on C drive when you have
lots on other drives. Been there. A real PITA!

First I would consider moving what data you could to the other drives (i.e.
digital pictures, mp3s and other things that are big). Also, consider
moving your Windows Pagefile to another drive.

If that is not enough, here is what I would do next, and what I DID do
recently...

Buy a Maxtor 160GB drive for about $99.00. These drive prices are so damn
cheap now it's hard to justify letting the space issue bug you! Install it.
The Maxblast software that comes with it allows you to partition and format
it into a data drive OR as a replacement for your present boot drive.
Choose boot drive. The software will do the rest. When you are done you will
have a "new" C drive with tons of extra space and you can then format the
original C and use it for something else...

Other manufacturers may also distribute this kind of software with their
drives, but the only one I am currently familiar with is the Maxtor.

-Frank

"Tommo" <Tommo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have little free space on my C drive, but loads on my D&E drives.
>
> I don't want to risk moving programmes between drives. Is there anyway I
> can move the spare capacity from my D&E drives to the C Drive?
>
> Thankyou
> --
> Tommo
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:05:17 PM

"=?Utf-8?B?VG9tbW8=?=" <Tommo@discussions.microsoft.com> writes:
>I have little free space on my C drive, but loads on my D&E drives.

>I don't want to risk moving programmes between drives. Is there anyway I
>can move the spare capacity from my D&E drives to the C Drive?

The partition resizing that some have suggested is not without risk.
I tried using Partition Magic to resize a couple of partitions and
fought with it trying to make it work for a month before finally
just reformatting the drive and reinstalling everything. It might
work differently for others.

Some other options.
How big is your Temporary Internet Files space? If that is big
enough and you are storing it on C: you can move that to D: or E:
and that should be safe and get you C: space. This may or may not
be enough to be worth the bother/risk. I believe you change the
location using IE and one of the menus it has for options.

Similarly with swap file space. But this might not be enough to
make any difference.

IF you have XP Pro then there is a feature that can let you map
parts of one "drive" to be available and look like it is part of
C: You don't actually do any moving, you just let XP simulate a
larger C: that uses D: and/or E: as storage space. Never used it,
imagine few ever have, don't know if it works dependably.
!