USB 1.1/2.0 question

First, some background. I run Windows 98SE on an elderly Dimension
L667r with a Canon BJC-2100 printer. The printer has suddenly gotten
the vapors and won't print black text, although it will print colored
text and images. I changed the black ink tank (even though I thought
the previous one should have had enough ink), but that had no effect.
Oddly, a nozzle check pattern test properly prints all colors
including black.

Anyway, rather than fool around further with the printer I'd be just
as happy buying a new printer but (here, at last, is my question):

My computer has a USB 1.1 port and virtually all the available
printers are designed for USB 2.0. Are these printers backward
compatible? Will they rull all right on the USB 1 port?

If not, how difficult and expensive is it to install a USB 2.0 port?

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated, as well as any thoughts
on what else to try to get the Canon 2100 running.

-Len

Printers usually support 1.1 but check whatever one you're considering.
They don't need 2.0 speed.
A USB PCI card wouldn't be a bad addition though but with W98se you'll have
to check for support and most likely will need updates if it is supported.
(XP needed an update if I recall correctly).

I would try reloading the latest printer drivers and see if it restores your
printing. Very strange the nozzle check works for black. Loaded anything
else lately?

"LenS" <lenston@att.net> wrote in message
> First, some background. I run Windows 98SE on an elderly Dimension
> L667r with a Canon BJC-2100 printer. The printer has suddenly gotten
> the vapors and won't print black text, although it will print colored
> text and images. I changed the black ink tank (even though I thought
> the previous one should have had enough ink), but that had no effect.
> Oddly, a nozzle check pattern test properly prints all colors
> including black.
>
> Anyway, rather than fool around further with the printer I'd be just
> as happy buying a new printer but (here, at last, is my question):
>
> My computer has a USB 1.1 port and virtually all the available
> printers are designed for USB 2.0. Are these printers backward
> compatible? Will they rull all right on the USB 1 port?
>
> If not, how difficult and expensive is it to install a USB 2.0 port?
>
> Any help on this will be greatly appreciated, as well as any thoughts
> on what else to try to get the Canon 2100 running.
>
> -Len

I also run 98SE and have several USB devices running fine. I have a
USB printer also. I have USB 2 capable devices that run fine on USB 1
ports. I do have a USB 2 card installed that I use for things that need the
extra speed, printers don't. There may be some, but I haven't run across
any USB 2 device that won't run on USB 1. Also every USB device that
I have, came with drivers for use with 98SE.
.....Fred

SpongeBlob wrote:

> Printers usually support 1.1 but check whatever one you're considering.
> They don't need 2.0 speed.
> A USB PCI card wouldn't be a bad addition though but with W98se you'll have
> to check for support and most likely will need updates if it is supported.
> (XP needed an update if I recall correctly).
>
> I would try reloading the latest printer drivers and see if it restores your
> printing. Very strange the nozzle check works for black. Loaded anything
> else lately?

An addendum... Lots of USB 2.0 peripherals, running on Windows 98,
require special 2.0 drivers.

Notan

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 13:32:35 -0500, "SpongeBlob"
<SpongeBlob@Blobby.com> wrote:

>Printers usually support 1.1 but check whatever one you're considering.
>They don't need 2.0 speed.
>A USB PCI card wouldn't be a bad addition though but with W98se you'll have
>to check for support and most likely will need updates if it is supported.
>(XP needed an update if I recall correctly).
>
>I would try reloading the latest printer drivers and see if it restores your
>printing. Very strange the nozzle check works for black. Loaded anything
>else lately?

I forgot to mention that I did uninstall and reinstall the Canon
drivers.

I can't think of anything I've loaded recently.

I have considered that it's just possible that the new ink tank I
installed is bad; a fluke although the opening from which the ink is
drawn is suitably damp, but I'm reluctant to open another one (it's
about $8 everytime you open one and they're nearly impossible to close
back up.

Another thing I thought about is replacing the printer cartridge (not
to be confused with the ink tank). The cartridge is the part with the
actual printing mechanism. If I could find one, I believe it would be
around $25.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

-Len

> On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 13:32:35 -0500, "SpongeBlob"
> <SpongeBlob@Blobby.com> wrote:
>
> >Printers usually support 1.1 but check whatever one you're considering.
> >They don't need 2.0 speed.
> >A USB PCI card wouldn't be a bad addition though but with W98se you'll
have
> >to check for support and most likely will need updates if it is
supported.
> >(XP needed an update if I recall correctly).
> >
> >I would try reloading the latest printer drivers and see if it restores
your
> >printing. Very strange the nozzle check works for black. Loaded
anything
> >else lately?
>
> I forgot to mention that I did uninstall and reinstall the Canon
> drivers.
>
> I can't think of anything I've loaded recently.
>
> I have considered that it's just possible that the new ink tank I
> installed is bad; a fluke although the opening from which the ink is
> drawn is suitably damp, but I'm reluctant to open another one (it's
> about $8 everytime you open one and they're nearly impossible to close
> back up.
>
> Another thing I thought about is replacing the printer cartridge (not
> to be confused with the ink tank). The cartridge is the part with the
> actual printing mechanism. If I could find one, I believe it would be
> around $25.
>
> Anyway, thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.
>
> -Len

I would think if the nozzle check pattern was fine then the cartridge and
print head is fine as well. Might be a bad assumption on my part. Have you
tried any other diagnostics? My Epson printers usually have a few other
tests you can do.

Might be worth some email to Canon support before forking out money for a
new one. I checked their website and their Technical FAQ area does have a
clip on "Black Ink Will Not Print"

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=SupportDetailAct&fcategoryid=230&modelid=7960

Do these things have an ink well that can fill up as well? When you do
cleanings the ink goes there and I think I recall something like this in
older printers.

"SpongeBlob" <SpongeBlob@Blobby.com> wrote in message
> Printers usually support 1.1 but check whatever one you're considering.
> They don't need 2.0 speed.
> A USB PCI card wouldn't be a bad addition though but with W98se you'll
> have
> to check for support and most likely will need updates if it is supported.
> (XP needed an update if I recall correctly).
>
> I would try reloading the latest printer drivers and see if it restores
> your
> printing. Very strange the nozzle check works for black. Loaded anything
> else lately?

Usually true, but not always. For example, my Epson 7600 absolutely
requires USB2. It's really unusable on USB1.1

Tom