Memory module changes for Windows XP Pro causes Safe Mode ..

I have one computer that runs Windows XP Pro. I have installed a 512M SDRAM
module of which only 256M is recognized (a known hardware restriction of the
particular motherboard).
I have another computer that runs with Windows XP Home. It has two totally
functional 128MB SDRAM modules.
If I remove the XP Home modules (2x128M) and replace with the 512MB module,
it boots into Home XP fine.
If I try to use the two 128MB modules in the XP Pro computer, it detects a
hardware change and will only allow boot up in Safe Mode.
Is it the OS, or is it a problem with BIOS, DMI configuration software not
updating the BIOS properly?
1 answer Last reply
More about memory module windows safe mode

    The first thing I would try is to look for a BIOS update on the respective
    manufacturers website.

    "RaleighGator" wrote:

    > I have one computer that runs Windows XP Pro. I have installed a 512M SDRAM
    > module of which only 256M is recognized (a known hardware restriction of the
    > particular motherboard).
    > I have another computer that runs with Windows XP Home. It has two totally
    > functional 128MB SDRAM modules.
    > If I remove the XP Home modules (2x128M) and replace with the 512MB module,
    > it boots into Home XP fine.
    > If I try to use the two 128MB modules in the XP Pro computer, it detects a
    > hardware change and will only allow boot up in Safe Mode.
    > Is it the OS, or is it a problem with BIOS, DMI configuration software not
    > updating the BIOS properly?

Computers Windows XP